2022: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2022)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pixel85 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:00 pm LEGO Technics - to build desktop stands for synths ;)
i love me some lego...
but it would cost a fortune, to build stands that are strong enough for synths you are playing???

vurt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:05 pm
pixel85 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:00 pm LEGO Technics - to build desktop stands for synths ;)
i love me some lego...
but it would cost a fortune, to build stands that are strong enough for synths you are playing???
Today I saw a post with picture on FB where one dude said that it's surprisingly solid for desktop modules.
tbh all Lego technics I ever had, were bought by my parents, eons ago. I have no idea how much it costs right now. Maybe more expensive that hand-made solid wood stands :D

pixel85 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:13 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:05 pm

i love me some lego...
Today I saw a post with picture on FB where one dude said that it's surprisingly solid for desktop modules.
tbh all Lego technics I ever had, were bought by my parents, eons ago. I have no idea how much it costs right now. Maybe more expensive that hand-made solid wood stands :D

i only have a robot r2d2 in technics, but around 10 grands worth of regular :oops:
i just imagine the amount of struts you'd need to support anything bigger than an a4 size piece of card as a base, will be huge!

it would be impressive true, but costly

pixel85 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:00 pm Korg Wavestate - 100%
Behringer 2600 to accompany Odyssey - 50% chance because it's "nice to have/not necessary"

Mixer - because I'll use all inputs in my audio interface soon

Stereo compressor pedal for Cobalt8, if somebody makes one because that one from EHX cuts audio between 15/16kHz - does it has 32kHz SR or what?

LEGO Technics - to build desktop stands for synths ;)
Wavestate is so cool - got it just over a month ago...paired with keystep pro and you can control all the 4 parts - load 24 drum sounds on a part set to Ch10 and have fun sequencing them from Kyestep,
the Arturia MIDI Control Center will let you customize projects.
....I have a little question as I'm not a pro... :ud:
I want to connect a few ' boxes ' together...
1. wavestate
2. keystep pro
3. komplete s49 mk2 (to play better keys & has pedal A,B available
4. possibly behringer-bcr32 ( future wise ) or TR-8S ( but also as a drum machine )
https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/midi-studio- ... controller
Or a different midi controller ( to be able to control whatever I will want in the wavestate or an extra hardware synth i may get in the future...

I read about a nr of many other midi interfaces and stuff & I'm just confused now...

Will the MIDI Interface 4i4o do the trick ??
https://tie-products.com/en/produkt/tie ... face-4i4o/

If I hit the wrong topic - let me know...thx
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

AcrossTheSky wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:08 pm
Behringer 2600 to accompany Odyssey - 50% chance because it's "nice to have/not necessary"

Stereo compressor pedal for Cobalt8, if somebody makes one because that one from EHX cuts audio between 15/16kHz - does it has 32kHz SR or what?

Wavestate is so cool - got it just over a month ago...paired with keystep pro and you can control all the 4 parts - load 24 drum sounds on a part set to Ch10 and have fun sequencing them from Kyestep,
the Arturia MIDI Control Center will let you customize projects.
Brilliant idea! I had a feeling that it may be possible to change this synth into a full "groove box" :)

I can't help you with your questions. I don't do that stuff. Maybe someone else will have the answers?

I think I could cope with a Nymphes in my future.

Ive just fitted my last purchases of 2021 into the modular; a second VC Logics, a second Quad Sequential Switch, and an FX Aid XL. Nothing else new goes in till I fix/build some stuff, honest.

Yesterday I started on that so

replaced the rather furry soldered battery in the A-112 Sampler. 10/10 easy.
replaced the even-more-furry soldered battery in the MCV-24. 9/10 easy.
resoldered the loose contact mic on a Mikrophonie. 10/10 easy.

I also built an 4x4 neoTrellis button matrix / M4 Feather thing from AdaFruit, kinda like a baby Monome which runs CircuitPython. build 9/10 easy, peeling the paper off the fecking lasercut acrylic for the case, 5/10 easy.

Ive also recently repaired a Yamaha R100 reverb which needed a button replaced. 8/10 easy, except for removing the old button which was 3/10 easy, f@cker wouldnt desolder without a fight. Still to test.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

made up the tapehead-to-jack cable and thus 'finish' the Magnetophon completely. Should have been a 10/10 easy, turned out a 6/10 because of the braided cable dimension versus the hole in the body of the 3.5mm jack plug. sigh.

built a Mini Drive. Should have been a 9/10 easy, turned out a 4/10 because I soldered the jacks and pot to the wrong side of the PCB, and desoldering them was a nightmare. probably fuckered it in the process. double sigh.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:51 am build 9/10 easy, peeling the paper off the fecking lasercut acrylic for the case, 5/10 easy.
:lol:
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:51 am Ive also recently repaired a Yamaha R100 reverb which needed a button replaced. 8/10 easy, except for removing the old button which was 3/10 easy, f@cker wouldnt desolder without a fight. Still to test.
Is it a one sided PCB? Lots of the Yamaha stuff I've repaired had really heavy traces and so the pads just didn't want to heat up.
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:51 am built a Mini Drive. Should have been a 9/10 easy, turned out a 4/10 because I soldered the jacks and pot to the wrong side of the PCB, and desoldering them was a nightmare. probably fuckered it in the process. double sigh.
Oh man, I did that with my Expert Sleepers Select Bus breakout. Soldered the MIDI jacks to the wrong side... and when I soldered them to the correct side, I forgot to install the panel first, so I had to desolder the jacks again!

justin3am wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:37 pm Is it a one sided PCB? Lots of the Yamaha stuff I've repaired had really heavy traces and so the pads just didn't want to heat up.
Nope, double-sided, but the buttons, which are this sort of tiny tactile style

are mounted vertically on 2 legs, with a metal cage around each one. And the metal cage was the problem.
Oh man, I did that with my Expert Sleepers Select Bus breakout. Soldered the MIDI jacks to the wrong side... and when I soldered them to the correct side, I forgot to install the panel first, so I had to desolder the jacks again!
There's only an video for build instructions, no PDF or whatever. So of course, I FF'd my way through aaaand... :bang: :bang:

Please, please, please - create a separate modular thread for next year - so this one can be everything else...!

Be kind!

_leras wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:30 am Please, please, please - create a separate modular thread for next year - so this one can be everything else...!

Be kind!
Just make one. lol. It helps if you have something to show. Many of us don't overly distinguish between
modular, semi-modular etc... :)

Just wait until I start posting about kitchen appliances... :hihi:

_leras wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:30 am Please, please, please - create a separate modular thread for next year - so this one can be everything else...!

Be kind!
I hope not. Most of us on here have mixed setups and I’ve definitely benefited from seeing a bit of it all. Even if you look back at the 2021 thread it’s taken all kinds of twists and turns with guitars, guitar pedals, synths, desktop effects, noise makers, mixers, stands, cables, cables and more cables.

More than anything, the thread is every bit what you put into it… post, ask questions or start conversations. Nobody will boot you out (just look at how they put up with me :scared: ).

Sadly I have to say you're right with the 2600. I went berserker about it when it came out, bought one straight up but actually haven't used it that much. I'm sure it can perform wonders and shit miracles but TBH it takes too much time getting into it. I know I will get into it at some point but I think it was a rash purchase. Weird though because I delve around into my Wavestate, and probably will with the Opsix when it arrives - and they have to be equally as complicated as a 2600 if not more so. Dunno what it is about the 2600, it just never captured my imagination once I got my hands on it. I don't regret it, but it's on the back burner. :?

I've said it'd be the year of the Tele for ages now so I'll say it again. I picked up a Jag this year and, to some extent, it's scratched the single coil itch (which a succession of Strats never could) so we'll see what happens :)

Probably pick up a new PC too (especially if there's a drop in GPU prices).

More pressing, I need to shed some kit. I knew I had a pretty big pedal collection but it's become stupid big (over 300 now) so I'd like to clear a lot of these out. My workspace is a converted attic and we'll probably redo windows, floor and maybe part of the roof in 2022 so I'd like to cut down before everything has to be moved downstairs out of the way. Not looking forward to it but on the plus side I'll have a better view across Pegwell Bay when it's done.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”