Why do you dislike Arturia VSTs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Why do you dislike Arturia VSTs?

Their VSTs are bloated, take long to load and consume a lot of RAM.
44%
Their VST re-creations of classic synths sound nothing like the originals.
17%
Their synth presets sound mostly sh*te / are nothing I could use.
10%
Some of their VSTs have a gamey UI.
10%
Their VSTs sometimes crash my DAW.
4%
All of the above.
7%
All of the above plus something not mentioned here (please comment).
9%

Total votes: 199

RELATED
PRODUCTS

No, I don't think Windows anti-virus count, mine is activated and I don't have the problem.

But if you want to try, to deactivate Windows security settings, you need to go to Settings pression button Windows + Pause, and then go to "Windows Security". Here you will find all security options and be able to manage them.

Let's see other people impacted to be sure, but my clue seems not to be the good candidate. ^^

With those of you for whom Arturia plugins are loading slowly, did you try adding the Arturia software center to Start Up? That way it loads when you first start up Windows.

Hi Arnoud - I have one of the slow loads.
I've got an off the shelf Asus laptop about 2 years old, with i7-8550U CPU and 16 gb ram on Win 11 home.

I have Avast antivirus loaded.
Just tried loading Pigments with Avast enabled and disabled,
and there's no significant difference - both about 45 seconds.

I don't have tech knowledge,
but I suspect it may have something to do with the integrated graphics.
When I updated to Cubase 11 and then 12,
I had to remove a file called videoengine.dll before either would run.

The laptop is sold in big box stores here in the states,
and a lot of other similar ones also use those integrated graphics,
Intel® UHD Graphics 620 so I think the problem may be wide spread.
Or, it could just be something with my system. IDK
Good that you guys are looking into it though.
Last edited by felis on Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cel4145 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:29 pm With those of you for whom Arturia plugins are loading slowly, did you try adding the Arturia software center to Start Up? That way it loads when you first start up Windows.
Just tried it. It knocked maybe a couple seconds off the time, but nothing significant.

Errr... how do I enable Arturia during startup? I didn't see it as an option in the Windows Settings page, and I don't see it as an option in the "Setttings" view of the installer.

I'm on a Mac and experience very sluggish response times, both in opening GUIs and switching patches.

MacBookPro 2014 i5=4278u 2.6Ghz, 8Gb RAM, 480Gb SSD

Yeah, it's now old and slow, but all other plugins, free and commercial, are for the most part, very snappy.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Introspective wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:32 pm Errr... how do I enable Arturia during startup? I didn't see it as an option in the Windows Settings page, and I don't see it as an option in the "Setttings" view of the installer.
The old fashioned Windows way, using the startup folder
https://www.lifewire.com/add-startup-pr ... 10-4801897

felis wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:41 pm
cel4145 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:29 pm With those of you for whom Arturia plugins are loading slowly, did you try adding the Arturia software center to Start Up? That way it loads when you first start up Windows.
Just tried it. It knocked maybe a couple seconds off the time, but nothing significant.
That would suggest (although not prove) that the slow initial loading is not related to the software center. At least one would think that the software center should be designed to go ahead and run the license verifications when loaded in the background like that. But maybe not. lol

Hello guys,

Thanks for all your latest tests and feedbacks, they helped me to move forward on this subject!

For sure, we can leave aside the anti-virus impact on this loading time problem.

I follow investigations and still need to do some tests and I'll come back with news soon to let you know. ;)

Cheers,
Arnaud

To add to the slow startup phenomenon. For me, it's definitely related to the presets. A freshly installed pigments starts in a few seconds. But after I installed the Energy Triad Bundle presets, it takes almost 10 times as long to load.

I really hope this gets sorted soon.

Edit: I just went through the trouble of deleting all the files related to the presets and the startup time is back to around 6 seconds again.

My only complaints are that I wish they would update the Prophet and CS-80 sound wise. Granted the CS-80 is not famous for its sound quality but still, it should sound better imo. Also, they need to fix the ring mod mix on the CS-80. We've only been asking for this since version one.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

Cuauhtli wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:13 am My only complaints are that I wish they would update the Prophet and CS-80 sound wise. Granted the CS-80 is not famous for its sound quality but still, it should sound better imo. Also, they need to fix the ring mod mix on the CS-80. We've only been asking for this since version one.
Especially the GUI of CS-80 is atrocious. They made a very nice GUI improvement from Jupiter V3 to V4, so I hope they do the same with the CS-80. The old CS-80 V1 had a better GUI, they really messed it up. Unreadable.

I'm also hoping for updated ARP 2600 sound engine. It's a nice plugin for soft/ambient things, but doesn't have the punch of hardware at all for those sequences and basses/leads.

Held wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:32 am To add to the slow startup phenomenon. For me, it's definitely related to the presets. A freshly installed pigments starts in a few seconds. But after I installed the Energy Triad Bundle presets, it takes almost 10 times as long to load.

I really hope this gets sorted soon.

Edit: I just went through the trouble of deleting all the files related to the presets and the startup time is back to around 6 seconds again.
Been some time, but booted up my older system the other day (Win7, double Xeon v1's), and noticed the initial load time was about 10 seconds. Compared to my newer system (Win10, single Xeon v3) of which the initial load time is around 30 seconds. Can't really say whether it's the OS or the CPUs or even the differences in RAM (which are more than enough per CPU on either system).
:shrug:

As to the subject line though... My "problem" with Arturia is that as much as I like what it is, that when I approach it for synth sounds, they eventually are never in the progression of the mix. But when I approach it for organ sounds (which often incorporate the synths' organ patches in layering with the organs) I find they fit excellently.
Not sure why other than my own emotional attachment to the u-He sound... Which also gets used for organ type patches.
:shrug:

Nothing in the poll fits my opinion. I’ve simply never clicked with any product. I only own Pigments and almost never use it. I quite like the piano emulation but the price is beyond what I would pay for something I find amusing.

It’s hard to explain. To me, Arturia products lack a signature sound, they sound uninspiring, somewhat mechanical, without any magic. Arturia products need to let the beast out imho. Everytime I hear a Synapse Audio or a G-Force one, I want it right now. Concerning Arturia, I don’t think I need it.

Just another opinion.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I like Buchla Easel V from Arturia, i think they let the beast out of that one.
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Return to “Instruments”