Desktop vs Laptop

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world...

50 tracks really isn't much these days, depending on genre of course.

I'd like to know where people are shopping that they see more "bang for the buck" on a desktop vs laptop. This appears no longer true to me. The only advantage I see in a desktop is it's far easier to upgrade stuff like memory, drives, etc.

mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:52 amThe only advantage I see in a desktop is it's far easier to upgrade stuff like memory, drives, etc.
Vortifex wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:31 amEvery man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world...
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:52 am I'd like to know where people are shopping that they see more "bang for the buck" on a desktop vs laptop.
In the real world.

Well,I don't know what you're comparing really, but, note that you won't have the same components in both, because there are serious heat production constraints in laptops. Even if you wanted, you can't build in the same hardware.

If anything, you can compare 1.000 € to 1.000 €, and, desktops will always be the winner. Naturally.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Yes, if you are looking in the Apple world, this might actually be true.
Not sure about the Mac Pros, but iMacs seemingly use desktop CPUs inside the restricted space of a laptop, which means it is going to throttle down hard in order not to melt down.

A friend of mine, a die hard Apple fan, has roasted two iMacs now i think doing his CGI renderings. I told him that he would get much better (and cheaper) systems for that task if he went Windows, but that's out of question for him, because Windows is the devil and Mac the saviour
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am Yes, if you are looking in the Apple world, this might actually be true.
Not sure about the Mac Pros, but iMacs seemingly use desktop CPUs inside the restricted space of a laptop, which means it is going to throttle down hard in order not to melt down.
This was the case up until the end of 2020 when the M1 chip was introduced. Of course it's still the case if you have an Intel Mac...
void main(dumb)

Yes those were intel Macs.
But bang for the buck wise, stationary still wins.
That doesn't stop me from preferring laptops though.
But i'm still aware that i'm actually paying more for less performance
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:26 amBut bang for the buck wise, stationary still wins.
If you also want to be mobile with your machine then the bang changes. Then the buck follows the bang you need :? :roll: :lol:
Last edited by sQeetz on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:21 am
FapFilter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am Yes, if you are looking in the Apple world, this might actually be true.
This was the case up until the end of 2020 when the M1 chip was introduced. Of course it's still the case if you have an Intel Mac...
Ask yourself whether or not YOU would build competing hardware in your product which outclasses your own.

Don't get me wrong, M1's are great, but, there are faster CPU's out there.

Also, a big deal for Apple is always that their mobile products are thin, and can be passively cooled. Which is the whole deal with ARM CPU's.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:31 amAsk yourself whether or not YOU would build competing hardware in your product which outclasses your own.
Apple said that their plan was to have a 2 year transition period and that that transition will end with the launch of a new Mac Pro end of 2022.
Rumor has it, that they already plan to outclass anything available now by scaling up the M1 architecture to dozens of cores. I don't know what the plan really is, but when this transition is finished, the bottom line Macbook Airs (*) could still be more performant (bang for buck wise) than the counterpart x86 Windows ones.

(*) which by then will be equipped with the next gen M2 chips
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:40 am Rumor has it, that they already plan to outclass anything available now
Yes, rumours. Spread by obective, independent people, I'm sure. :hihi:

I also always hear rurmours about Intel and AMD outclassing everything with their new processor generation, somehow.

FapFilter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am A friend of mine, a die hard Apple fan, has roasted two iMacs now i think doing his CGI renderings. I told him that he would get much better (and cheaper) systems for that task if he went Windows, but that's out of question for him, because Windows is the devil and Mac the saviour
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:56 amYes, rumours. Spread by obective, independent people, I'm sure. :hihi:
We will have to wait and see... But if they don't... I mean. if they don't have plans to make the desktop Mac Pros significantly more powerful than the laptops, then this whole thing was pointless in the first place, now wasn't it? :hihi:
Not like I would really care, because even the meager first gen M1 I have (13" 2020 model) is plenty powerful for whatever I need it to do anyway. I'm not the right audience for a Mac Pro.
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:56 amYes, rumours. Spread by obective, independent people, I'm sure. :hihi:
We will have to wait and see... But if they don't... I mean. if they don't have plans to make the desktop Mac Pros significantly more powerful than the laptops, then this whole thing was pointless in the first place, now wasn't it? :hihi:
Not like I would really care, because even the meager first gen M1 I have (13" 2020 model) is plenty powerful for whatever I need it to do anyway. I'm not the right audience for a Mac Pro.
If that's the case, why are you spreading rumours? :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:11 pmIf that's the case, why are you spreading rumours? :roll:
The fact that I don't need that power, doesn't mean that I don't find it to be interesting.

Several tech sites saying that the Pro machines will have multiple Mx Max chips working in tandem. And that's what I really think will happen. They won't be able to all of a sudden make one chip go 2-3x faster. So they will have to scale up by getting the core/chip count up.

Another one would be, of course, to up the wattage and the clock speed on the desktop version of the Mx CPUs because of better cooling/thermal design compared to the cramped MacBooks/iMacs in addition to the above. But that's, just speculation... we'll still have to wait and see.

Rumor or not, those are the only plausible ways to do it.
Last edited by sQeetz on Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
void main(dumb)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”