Desktop vs Laptop

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Michael L wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:35 amI don't like laptop ergonomics.
Which one? They're not all the same, although if you're an iPhone guy, you probably use a Mac and they are all the same, although a little better now than they used to be (more ports).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:06 am
Michael L wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:35 amI don't like laptop ergonomics.
Which one? They're not all the same... they are all the same
:lol:
All laptops are the same.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Really? Because I have two in front of me now and one has one screen and the other has two screens. One has the keyboard towards the back of the chassis, the other has it right down the front, which makes it easy to stick a MIDI controller in front of it. One has a trackpoint, the other doesn't. The ergonomics could hardly be more different.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I don't like any laptop ergonomics, with or without trackpoints.

[My wife LOVES her MBP but she is a different use case.]
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Why not? Don't you think it might be helpful to the OP if you were able to say why?

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:32 amWhy not? Don't you think it might be helpful to the OP if you were able to say why?
Anyone can google 'laptop ergonomics' and see reasons why
I am being helpful by saying that I don't like laptop ergonomics
Perhaps the OP does not either, but needs someone like me to confirm it for him.
I think too many users think they need to adapt themselves to a machine rather than v-v
Last edited by Michael L on Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:04 am Very enlightening. Thanks for your useless contribution.
You're welcome. 🖕

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:32 am Really? Because I have two in front of me now ...

A bit more organised than that. Work laptop is in front, because it's work hours, and my laptop is mostly providing music while I work, with the occasional distraction.

IMG_20220125_115913936_2.jpg
Michael L wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 amAnyone can google 'laptop ergonomics' and see reasons why
Really? Google lists your personal insights into things. Wow!
I am being helpful by saying that I don't like laptop ergonomics
The arrogance behind that statement is mind-boggling. Do you honestly think that you shouldn't have to explain yourself, that we should all take your every word at face value?
I think too many users think they need to adapt themselves to a machine rather than v-v
I think that's a ridiculous thing to say. I would suggests that in 2022, most people would be far more familiar and comfortable with laptops than desktop computers, given that kids have them for school from an early age and laptops have been de rigueur in workplaces for at least a decade now. So a lot of people today would find themselves having to adapt to a desktop set-up, which would feel decidedly worse in so many respects, I imagine.

As someone who spends all day in front of a desktop computer and all evening in front of a laptop, I am of the opinion that laptop ergonomics can be superior to those of a desktop, even in an office type environment. Just the simple fact of being able to use touch so easily with a laptop is a huge ergonomic advantage over the vast majority of desktops set-ups. Then there is the ease with which you can angle the screen to minimise reflections and other distractions. I even find looking down at a laptop screen much easier on my neck than looking up at a desktop monitor all day. I used to use my laptop with a desktop monitor but, as laptops improved, it became less and less worth bothering with and, today, I definitely prefer to use the laptop screens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:04 am
mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:52 am I'd like to know where people are shopping that they see more "bang for the buck" on a desktop vs laptop.
In the real world.
No, seriously.

Synthack wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:18 am I read the OP and they do bring up a good point. Yes for the price of a decent laptop you can get a much more powerful desktop.
I honestly would like to know where you're seeing this as I am not on places like Amazon, Newegg, etc.

Michael L wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 am I am being helpful by saying that I don't like laptop ergonomics
Oh if only.

Why no Laptop ?
- Trackpad
- Ports
- Cleaning
- Upgrades

mic drop

Good Night

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”