best FREE bread&butter presets synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so, I'm looking for a fully free synth with GREAT bread and butter presets, to use on a portable laptop for playing, writing and screwing around, without having to PROGRAM a thing.
Need bass? BAM! Preset and play
E Piano? BAM! Preset to play
Basic synth sound? BAM! Preset and play

I guess on a dial of SMALL to LARGE, the needle would lean more toward the small side.
Don't want to install 40 gigs of samples, sucking up precious SSD drive space.

Remember: PRESETS, not how good the synth is, how good the PRESETS are for general use and notepad writing/playing.

Thanks!!!

I suppose loading in a bank or two of great presets is allowed, if the synth doesn't come with great ones out the door, but would prefer just one, self contained install synth
Last edited by wwjd on Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Why just one?

What genre do you need the presets to be made for?

SampleTank 4 CS for sampled basics (4 GB) that you may want.
For synths, Surge, Dexed and OB-Xd.

Does it HAVE to be free? What if there were a much better option for $10? $50?

I think you're out of luck. Samplescience Player is no longer available and Proteus VX is 32 bit only. If you can use 32 bit, here's the link over at the Wayback Machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130317080 ... proteusvx/

FWIW, Expand2 is 20 bucks at Plugin Boutique and is fantastic for the price. In this case, you get MORE than what you pay for.

But free is free and, well, what can I say?

Good luck. You'll need it.

- just one synth to turn on and play when the mood strikes, not a bunch of options
- no specific genre - just music. basic bread and butter: bass, strings, keys, synthy sounds, pads, other, whatevers
- yes, requesting free for portability, and maybe use by others in band (less than zero budget)

I've messed with sampletank in the past. that's probably the best option, I guess. Or INDEPENDENCE FREE is decent at 2GB of sounds.

Just wondered if any free synths have good coverage of bread and butter stuff.
Does SURGE have a bread and butter preset list? I don't recall seeing that

sylenth. add a sequencer and you're a star.

wwjd wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:21 am Does SURGE have a bread and butter preset list? I don't recall seeing that
It has a pretty good amount of the basics in various categories.

Surge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Examigan on Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synth1

gonna give SURGE another look now!

Also DSK VIRTUOSO, but I think it lacks Bass.

What about that Nil's K1v? Does it cover lots of bread and butter?

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:25 am sylenth. add a sequencer and you're a star.
Is Sylenth free?

No.

PG-8X (free, but no presets) + the wide range of quality presets from the KVR patch section, plus various other pg-8x (and JX-8P sysex, for that matter) has, imho, a great range of totally free, classic, bread & butter synth sounds.

Return to “Instruments”