Lazy developers exposed by Apple M1 transition (lack of native updates)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS 5

Fog convolver won’t be ported? That’s a shame. Quick, straightforward plugin.

Thank you for the color commentary on your status @audiothing. Looking forward to the updates.

@masterhiggins, my interpretation is that Fog Convolver 1 won't be ported, but instead we will be seeing a Fog Convolver 2 that will be native.

audiothing wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:06 pm
kidslow wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:03 am Hi Audiothing, perhaps you can shed light on part of the darkness here. When I look at your catalog, of which I own a good percentage, I see about 40% still non-native. I know you've been making continuous progress week by week. Definitely not calling you lazy. But afaik all of Voxengo has been ported. Your friend at Audiority has but a handful left.

How should your customers interpret the wide ranging status of Audiothing products that have not yet been ported? Are they in the pipeline? Are they in danger of being deprecated? Are they in line for a major new release like Fog Convolver and thus taking more time? Are they relying on third-party libraries for some of them that are not yet ported? All of the above? From the outside, quite a few of your plugins appear to use the same underlying framework, like why are Valves & Speakers native but not Reels? You waded into this, so it does invite these questions. :)
Sure, so, on 29 plugins, 9 are still non-native but otherwise working fine under Rosetta. Most of them have stable Universal 2 Binary beta ready that we are handing out to asking customers. Just contact us if you want.
Fog Convolver and Phase Motion will not be ported but a big new update is in the pipeline for both.
Reels is also getting a big update (updated GUI, new features and improvements) very soon.
The only external library we couldn't reuse in the Silicon porting was an old FFT library. We have easily moved to Apple's own vDSP which is also faster.
This is awesome to hear! Your plugins rock!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

masterhiggins wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:20 pm Fog convolver won’t be ported? That’s a shame. Quick, straightforward plugin.
As kidslow said, the current version won't be ported (it's still working fine under Rosetta). We are working on v2.0, you can check some preview screenshots here: viewtopic.php?p=7917424#p7917424
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

When I asked 'expresivee' about Imagine (their synth) their reply was uncommon - all other developers have said either that they plan to go M1 native, are in the process of converting to M1 native or already have M1 native plugins. However this little company was quite adamant that their software ran very well on Rosetta and they had no intention of making an M1 version.. I am just 'outing' them here as a way of supporting the OPs wider point.

As a PS - Kaivo looks very interesting for what I like to do , but they "have plans to go M1 native" - so that either means a 'polite 'no way - never' or ' wait a year'
Zen

Fraggle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am As a PS - Kaivo looks very interesting for what I like to do , but they "have plans to go M1 native" - so that either means a 'polite 'no way - never' or ' wait a year'
Randy mentioned in the official Madrona Labs forum that both Aalto and Kaivo will be updated to a Silicon compatible version early this year. It will be a paid update, however.

His new plugin, Sumu, will be native from the start.

Fraggle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am When I asked 'expresivee' about Imagine (their synth) their reply was uncommon - all other developers have said either that they plan to go M1 native, are in the process of converting to M1 native or already have M1 native plugins. However this little company was quite adamant that their software ran very well on Rosetta and they had no intention of making an M1 version.. I am just 'outing' them here as a way of supporting the OPs wider point.

As a PS - Kaivo looks very interesting for what I like to do , but they "have plans to go M1 native" - so that either means a 'polite 'no way - never' or ' wait a year'
Thats bizarre esp since chromaphone is already native.

Still don’t understand why companies like Waves don’t offer native installers. Rosetta is required to install their native plugins.

Line6 with their Helix Native software...I have two laptops, both Macs. An M1 and an Intel model on some OS that Helix Native doesn't currently converse with.
Where the hell does one find an actual downloadable copy of Rosetta 2?
All I've been able to locate are articles concerning it...
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

wvshpr wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:43 pmIt will be a paid update, however.
I wish more developers charged for Apple updates.

Apple does not make compatibility easy, it's not always cost effective for small developers with a small Mac user base, and it's a real benefit for those who bought new Macs.

So it's fair all around.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:20 am
wvshpr wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:43 pmIt will be a paid update, however.
I wish more developers charged for Apple updates.

Apple does not make compatibility easy, it's not always cost effective for small developers with a small Mac user base, and it's a real benefit for those who bought new Macs.

So it's fair all around.
agree with this - I think Apple use their "catastrophic" update as a tactic to take awaydev time from cross platform development on Windows.

as a new Apple user, i wouldn't be too happy, but ok with it...

something somewhat related i just stumbled upon:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/04/29/ap ... extension/

TL;DR:
Apple wants to force developers to update their apps regularly, regardless if they still are working perfectly on new systems, or not. otherwise these products will be removed from the App Store
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 am as a new Apple user, i wouldn't be too happy, but ok with it...

TL;DR:
Apple wants to force developers to update their apps regularly, regardless if they still are working perfectly on new systems, or not. otherwise these products will be removed from the App Store
exactly - ruthless attempts to destroy competition. Apple should be broken up and/or fined for anticompetitive actions

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:16 am
FapFilter wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 am as a new Apple user, i wouldn't be too happy, but ok with it...

TL;DR:
exactly - ruthless attempts to destroy competition. Apple should be broken up and/or fined for anticompetitive actions
This is quite true.

Apple wants to minimise their own app support costs.

They make decisions ONLY to suit their latest goals and profit, force everyone including customers into their corporate plan, and their employees must deal with the shitstorms (yes, employees also think Apple policies are unfair).
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I’m not holding my breath for ArtsAcoustic to update their plugins.

Return to “Effects”