Anyone running xt on a AMD Ryzen CPU?

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

I finally upgraded my old AMD Phenom II PC to a Ryzen 5 3600, running Windows 10 (no reinstall needed, wow!). But guess what, everything works fine, except energyXT :(

The cursor briefly changes to a wait cursor, then - nothing. Compatibility mode also did nothing. I tried a fresh install of the demo, also no good.

Is this really the final good bye?

Hmmm, that would really be annoying...
So you are saying, you just exchanged the processor, but didn't do anything to the OS yourself.
You just started up your 'old' Windows 10 on that same machine with the exchanged processor?
OS wise and files system wise there are no changes you applied?

My first thought was, it might be related to some missing distributables, but that shouldn't be the case, when 'nothing' except the underlying processor changed...

Yes, actually quite a feat of Windows 10 to be able to do that. I switched mainboard/cpu/ram and Windows 10 just booted, recognized devices and was done.

That's a pity!
Did you already try to rename energyXT.ini to something else?
In your scenario it shouldn't make a difference, but who knows.
I would try all 'impossible' stuff just not to loose my energyXT...

Good luck!

I tried it, didn't make a difference. I actually tried debugging the executable with Visual Studio (I used to be a C++ dev), but it just ends up in an Access Violation inside ntdll.dll, and I don't want to spend too much time on this. I might just have to migrate it over to my laptop instead of using my desktop computer.

Okay, that's sad.
But for sure it also was to be expected, that good old energyXT wouldn't run forever on upcoming OS'es.
I was already surprised, that it ran on some Windows 10 editions at least.
Thanks anyway for posting this, since me and possibly also others are warned.
I personally for sure have one more good reason to try to keep my Windows 7 as long as possible.

EnergyXT3 is running fine on my Windows 11 computer which has an Intel 8th generation Intel CPU.

I have also just installed version 1.36 on my Windows 11 machine and that also is working as well. I bought that version way back in 2005 and it still works, which is pretty impressive. Shame that it seems to have come to a halt on AMD CPUs though.

@dellboy:
This on the other hand is good news!
So it might indeed be an AMD/Intel CPU issue.
Also good to know, thanks!

Hi, on my Ryzen based system I can run Energy Xt 1.4 and 2.7 without any problems, but if I want to run Energy Xt v3, I have to disable the hyperthreading equivalent setting which is called SMT inside the BIOS. In short, the multicore version of Energy Xt doesn't run on Ryzen when virtual cores are enabled.

Return to “energyXT”