Looking for expressive small-sized h/w instrument

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm going abroad and will have to stay in isolation for a week. Thought it might be a good time to learn a hardware unit of some kind - the problem is what! Was brought up with DAWs (and h/w sequencers before that), and so, I am a pretty terrible piano and guitar player. I'm looking at the Orba, but think there might possibly be something other that I've missed.

Here's my wish/requirement list:
- pretty small, say, like a nano 25 key keyboard
- not very expensive (Linnstrument would be a stretch)
- easy to learn - hopefully easier to play than a piano or guitar
- hopefully rather expressive, why not MPE
- the ability to hear music without being hooked up to a computer would be a plus
- my music starts to become more and more "acoustic", so a guitar strumming/playing thing would be an option, but really anything that can make an acoustic feel, like tapping or playing solos
- the ability to record sound from my travel (like sampling from the streets or shore) would be great (though I haven't seen this anywhere except for in dedicated recorders)

From watching the promo videos for the Orba, it seems like a great idea, also in that it's MIDI out (and cheap!). I found this promo video impressive (notice how the entire thing is waved through the air towards the end of the vid):

https://youtu.be/JVEzQmakqZg?t=176

I have also seen a number of youtuber videos on Orba, and either they haven't grasped it fully, or maybe it's not so easily played as the promo video shows, or maybe it's just a toy after all... I don't know.

Thanks for any ideas!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

My vote would be ukulele - it ticks most, but not all, of your requirements.
Last edited by bharris22 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Or a melodica ...

bharris22 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:53 pm My vote would be ukelele - it ticks most, but not all, of your requirements.
Thanks, actually not such a silly idea. I bought one once, but the thing was so badly built that it could not be properly tuned (it couldn't be screwed hard enough). When I returned it, the clerk looked at me in amazement. I guess he didn't think anyone was actually going to buy an ukulele to PLAY it.

The only thing I'm a bit skeptical of is how useful it can be. Needs checking. :tu:
Go MuLab!

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:02 pm Or a melodica ...
Yes, it worked for Martin Gore anyway. ;) Well, since it's essentially a nano-key keyboard, I could jsut as well use my Nektar 25-key. An obvious advantage of a melodica is that it doesn't need MIDI to make some noise.

Some other tiny instruments would include a kazoo (not much to learn there...), drums (which I'm not that interested in), or a harmonica (which I actually consider). A piccolo flute would also fit the bill, but it would not be so much appreciated by the neighbours... ;)
Go MuLab!

Maybe a travel guitar ... smartphone, software and headphones?
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:31 pm smartphone, software and headphones?
Yes, thanks for bringing that up. I will have my laptop and headphones available (plus my Android phone). I'm just thinking of actually playing something, preerably something that keeps me off my computer for a bit (but that might be able to play solos or so in the DAW's VSTis).
Go MuLab!

Stylophone? KORG Monotron? Casio VL-Tone? :ud:

dp
Last edited by SparkySpark on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go MuLab!

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 pm Stylophone? KORG Monotron? Casio VL-Tone? :ud:
Thanks! Creative idea, and fun to play, but not really my cup of tea. I'd prefer something more... well, useful. :hihi:

After all, there can (hopefully!) be only one Da da da. :lol:
Go MuLab!

Elektron Digitone...

I took one traveling overseas and it worked well. 8 voices, 4 tracks and great sequencer. I ended up loving and keeping it. Just need headphones and you can make whole compositions on it.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Honestly, I’d get an iPad Pro and load it up with a bunch of cool audio apps. Some can even be used later as MPE controllers.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

There's always Roland's Boutique stuff. They run on batteries, have a built-in speaker but can also act as a USB Audio I/O device. Start with the K25M Keyboard and add something like the SH-01, JD08 or JX08, although the latter two may not be available yet. The good thing about the Boutique series is that they are all limited editions, so if it doesn't work out, hold onto it for a couple of years and you will probably be able to sell it for more than it cost you. The JU-06, for example, is currently selling for 50% more than it cost new.

The problem with an acoustic instrument is that you can't play it without annoying other people, which might restrict your use of it. OTOH, with something electronic, you can always put your headphones on if you start getting dirty looks from people.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”