Steinberg Discontinuing VST2 Support in its products

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

He's probably just working for Steinberg.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

It all eventually gets affected by marketing. I can’t imagine many large companies openly embracing a format with a name commonly associated with venereal disease. Very unfortunate naming.

this is affecting my gas :s

masterhiggins wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:00 pm It all eventually gets affected by marketing. I can’t imagine many large companies openly embracing a format with a name commonly associated with venereal disease. Very unfortunate naming.
I'll HAND you that! A plausible argument. :clap:

Just like purchasing ”Applaws” in a plaza… :phew:

Standing ovation!

:clap: :clap: :clap: <———- the name of that smiley is…?
Just look at him ———> :clap: His whole appearance is that of disease… ;)
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

jamcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:59 pm I find it odd that so many people who don’t even use Cubase are so incensed by Steinberg’s decision to stop supporting VST2 plugins in Cubase. IT DOESN’T AFFECT YOU.

Maybe Steinberg’s decision to drop VST2 versions of their plugins might affect you. But that’s only if you’re on an old DAW that doesn’t support VST3 plugins. At that point, whose fault is that? (Hint: Not Steinberg’s.)

If you really want to find someone to blame for the slow adoption of VST3, you might want to start by looking at Ableton. They are the real reason so many developers went to long. A lot of developers looked at as a financial decision: Why invest development resources (time and money) into supporting VST3 when everyone supports VST2, but not everyone (mainly Ableton) doesn’t support VST3?

It took Steinberg ending the issuance of new VST2 licenses as of October 2018 to force Ableton to finally support VST3, since users wouldn’t be able to run plugins from new developers (and they’d have to change their name to Unableton.)

Steinberg is really only to blame for playing softball for so long.

So it was really Ableton that was holding up VST3 adoption, which they did just to trip up a competitor. Same reason why everyone wants to create their own format to rule over.

And that brings us to CLAP. Maybe Bitwig will support it, and the KVR cult can have a jizzfest playing with their u-he plugins in Bitwig. But outside of that, who is going to invest the development resources (time and money) into supporting CLAP in their host? Certainly not Ableton.

So then Bitwig and u-he and Tone2 will have to drop VST support completely to try to force the industry to adopt CLAP in an “us or them” move (that’s why I asked if they are going to.) But that’s a power play that only Steinberg or Apple can afford to make. So in the end, the CLAP ends up becoming yet another proprietary plugin format, and VST3 remains the one and only universal format.
Under these train of thought about Ableton they would be more interested in CLAP, if the argument "they hold onto VST2 to to trip up Steinberg" holds true, what will trip up more Steinberg than Ableton, which is the DAW with the biggest market share, adopting another plug in standard.

So maybe Ableton has some kind of feud with Steinberg? who knows but if true maybe of they adopt CLAP it will be a very big incentive for plugin developers to follow suit, and steinberg will become isolated with their VST3 standard. I think they didn't think about who has the bigger market share now when they wen ahead with dropping VST2 support.
dedication to flying

this just in...
"Ableton gets the CLAP"

yeah, might be time to think of a new acronymn.
CLAP might go the way of Gearslutz...
CLOP maybe ?

sqigls wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:44 pm this just in...
"Ableton gets the CLAP"

CLOP maybe ?
How about Audio Instrument Digital System, or AIDS for short?

masterhiggins wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:00 pm It all eventually gets affected by marketing. I can’t imagine many large companies openly embracing a format with a name commonly associated with venereal disease. Very unfortunate naming.
I'm afraid I have to agree. It should be early enough in the game to change the name of the new format.

If for nothing else to avoid the snickering and bad jokes. :?

Such as....we have the VST format so why not the STD format....you know stupid stuff like that.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

masterhiggins wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:54 am
"Ableton gets the CLAP"

CLOP maybe ?
How about Audio Instrument Digital System, or AIDS for short?
perfect!

RTFM would be a better name, just to remind users : )

Teksonik wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:10 am
I'm afraid I have to agree. It should be early enough in the game to change the name of the new format.

If for nothing else to avoid the snickering and bad jokes. :?

Such as....we have the VST format so why not the STD format....you know stupid stuff like that.
Any publicity is good publicity, so it only ensures the success of clap. :clap:

"Ableton gets the CLAP"

CLOP maybe ?

^^^^
"Busted leadership
for a
wronger America" ?

PS, I've looked but could not find the answer: what does CLAP stand for?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

crickey13 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:47 am Any publicity is good publicity, so it only ensures the success of clap. :clap:
Nah negative publicity is always bad. Sure someone once said it's better to have people speak ill of you than not speak of you at all but it wouldn't hurt to find a better name for the new format....while it's still new.

CLAP is rather crude and unsophisticated given it's double entendre.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”