New Plug-In: Blue Cat's Connector

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Connector

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:30 pm I might be misunderstanding, but is Patchwork required for Connector to work?
No, it works very well alone, of course. I was just thinking that in this particular scenario, you will need PatchWork in order to grab the MIDI output of the forementioned plug-in, if Reason does not allow it.

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:04 pm
bharris22 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:55 pmWhat you describe is currently possible with the free LoopBe virtual midi cable. I thought this might be different because the product description states that feedback loops are allowed.
I don't think Renoise's limitation has anything to do with feedback loops. I guess you can't tell Renoise to treat output of a plugin as an input to a track, which is how most DAWs allow to record output of MIDI FX plugins.
The limitation doesn't, but the potential workaround does. I can't currently send midi out of Renoise using LoopBe and then back into Renoise using LoopBe - there is a feedback loop. If I can send midi out of Renoise using Connector and input midi back into Renoise using Connector, too, that could solve the problem - I will check this weekend.

How would this compare to Audiogridder, which is free and works on all three platforms (Mac/Win/Linux)?

https://audiogridder.com/

(And since I seen to be headed more and more towards Linux, any chance for Blue Cat to add the Linux platform?)

It's actually quite different: Connector is not a plug-in host, but an audio and MIDI streaming plug-in that can send and recieve audio and MIDI anywhere. So while you could definitely achieve similar remote plug-in hosting results using Connector in combination with the PatchWork app as a DSP server, both concepts are completely different.

Linux is indeed currently not natively supported, but many customers are using our plug-ins on Linux thru Wine. We have been looking at Linux over the years but it is currently not in the short term plans.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:49 pm It's actually quite different: Connector is not a plug-in host, but an audio and MIDI streaming plug-in that can send and recieve audio and MIDI anywhere. So while you could definitely achieve similar remote plug-in hosting results using Connector in combination with the PatchWork app as a DSP server, both concepts are completely different.

Linux is indeed currently not natively supported, but many customers are using our plug-ins on Linux thru Wine. We have been looking at Linux over the years but it is currently not in the short term plans.
Thank you. Definitely want to find out more and how it can be applied. TBH, I've stopped buying anymore from BCA when it decided on making their products NFR. Not that I want to sell any of what I have, but not wanting to buy anything anymore that starts by being NFR. And if it wasn't NFR, this would be an automatic purchase. Still going to keep an eye on this though.

Would this also work on hardware that sends MIDI and audio via USB? Recently bought an Elektron Model:Cycles which has it's own soundcard but can only output it via my Focusrite Solo through Ableton which appears to be introducing a fair amount of latency and I can't use it with ASIO.
P.S. Haven't had hardware in a long while so there is also a fairly high chance user error could be involved.

Great. Now I could use some of the Ableton’s effects and Alchemy from Logic in Bitwig :clap:
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

shonky wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:41 pm Would this also work on hardware that sends MIDI and audio via USB? Recently bought an Elektron Model:Cycles which has it's own soundcard but can only output it via my Focusrite Solo through Ableton which appears to be introducing a fair amount of latency and I can't use it with ASIO.
P.S. Haven't had hardware in a long while so there is also a fairly high chance user error could be involved.
It will only work in software that can load plug-ins so I don't think it may help you much here.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:01 pm The actual bandwidth depends on the sample rate, and the length of the audio packets (the bigger, the less bandwidth, because of the overhead of the software and IP protocols), and the global capacity really depends on your network and the equipment used, so it's hard to give a realistic figure.

It is sending uncompressed audio indeed, in 32-bit floating point format. So if you consider the audio data rate only, at 44100 Hz it is around 1,3 Mbit/s, per audio channel.
Thank You.

I would have got a wrong result because I would have considered 24 bits (I wasn't paying much attention), but an uncompressed 32 bit floating point stream makes sense!

I have a Gigabit lan in my homestudio (with a dedicated switch in the room), so I should be able to get a more than decent number of streams/channels, even at 96 kHz, even in case my switch doesn't quite reach the Gigabit theoric bandwidth (I have a consumer grade switch) and even if there's something else using the bandwith of the lan at the same time (which is unlikely to happen in my case; all the devices connected to the switch are operated by me so there's nothing heavy going on unless I do something like copying a file to a different machine; updates/internet usage doesn't really matter because my internet connection is slow in comparison, just 7Mbps).

I think I have to give it more serious look over the weekend, I can probably integrate a few things in my setup by using this.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:01 pm
shonky wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:41 pm Would this also work on hardware that sends MIDI and audio via USB? Recently bought an Elektron Model:Cycles which has it's own soundcard but can only output it via my Focusrite Solo through Ableton which appears to be introducing a fair amount of latency and I can't use it with ASIO.
It will only work in software that can load plug-ins so I don't think it may help you much here.
I don't know, is it possible to run two different ASIO hosts at the same time on the same machines? If it's so, one would be the Ableton with the Focusrite Solo as soundcard, the other one would be a lightweight host with the Model:Cycles as soundcard, then in both hosts you could load the Blue Cat's Connector and stream between the hosts?
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

sin night wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:29 pm
Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:01 pm
I don't know, is it possible to run two different ASIO hosts at the same time on the same machines? If it's so, one would be the Ableton with the Focusrite Solo as soundcard, the other one would be a lightweight host with the Model:Cycles as soundcard, then in both hosts you could load the Blue Cat's Connector and stream between the hosts?
Think I'll just have to look into replacing the Focusrite with something that works as a USB host as well. Thanks to you and Blue Cat for replying but think I'll take the query to the hardware section and hope someone can give me some pointers over there.

I'm trying to send audio and midi from FL to Studio One. So far it looks like audio is being sent from FL but not getting recorded in Studio One. Are there any daw to daw tutorials for Connector other than the Eli Krantzberg one?

How would this work when loading two programs on the same pc , both can NOT use the same audio driver ( using roland and asio driver here )on win 10 ?
I asked this queston on gearslutz but kinda got laughed away by someone :roll:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:10 pm How would this work when loading two programs on the same pc , both can NOT use the same audio driver ( using roland and asio driver here )on win 10 ?
I asked this queston on gearslutz but kinda got laughed away by someone :roll:
You will have to enable drift compensation so that Connector compensates automatically for the drift that you may have between both audio interfaces (because of clock sync issues), but it should work.

Musical Gym wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 am I'm trying to send audio and midi from FL to Studio One. So far it looks like audio is being sent from FL but not getting recorded in Studio One. Are there any daw to daw tutorials for Connector other than the Eli Krantzberg one?
Does the audio go thru though? Or you do not get any sound anyway (not just a recording issue)?

Return to “Effects”