Buyer beware when purchasing "account takeovers" on the KVR Sell & Buy Forum and other scams

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's always so tempting, especially when you people offer it for so low but I'm always afraid that they would just change their password and that'd be the end of that. I also completely forgot that companies would go after you and ask for proof of license randomly too. It's best not to do it in the end unless you want to risk a big fat fine.

Thanks for warning us.

Ok now I'm worried the great deal I saw and wanted to buy is a scam.. damnit.

thank you for this post

thank you for this!

I have serious buyer regret from purchasing a few products from a company that does not allow demos or resale. I can also understand people's wariness of buying account takeovers, but at this point, I'd be more than happy to let it go for more than what this company is having deals for. Such a shame people are scamming left and right and companies not allowing license reselling. :(

Thank you very much for your advice

Synthack wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:52 amBasically anyone arguing that its ok to break these rules even after being told are being dishonest, and it's definitely something to consider when purchasing from them.
Is it dishonest, though? What if I sign up as "ButtCheeks58" and give my name as "Who Cares"? Surely it is Who Cares, trading as ButtCheeks58, who is being granted a license, not me as the individual who created the account? So If I want to give or sell that account to someone else, what's dishonest about that? I did it with my Bitwig license because; a) I'd bought it from a shop as a physical product and b) it just seemed like a lot less hassle to do it that way. I changed all the account details myself, having uninstalled Bitwig some weeks earlier, and about a week later, after I received payment, I emailed the buyer the password and a photo of the card I got with the serial no. on it. He changed the password straight away and that was that.

Now, if I'd sold the license but kept using it myself, which I bet happens a lot with license transfers, that would be dishonest. But I don't see any dishonesty in account takeovers unless it is something specifically not allowed in the EULA. e.g. Autodesk's EULA specifically doesn't allow license transfers if one company buys another. All the bought company's licenses expire when the takeover happens. To me that's absurd but if you agree to their EULA, that's the deal.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:32 am What if I sign up as "ButtCheeks58"
People take you more seriously? :hihi:

j/k.

I think you made a good point about switching/ transferring accounts being fine if done properly. Makes sense for things like a DAW.

I've moved this comment.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

any other payment option than PayPal that is safe for both parties ?

Looper via audiofanzine

There's one of those right now in "Sell & Buy" that's not only a NI account takeover rather than license transfers, but asks for payment in gift certificates rather than paypal. There's a plausible reason on that one, but it seems people are heeding the warning in this thread.

I guess the moral is that if it seems to good to be true, it just might be too good to be true. Damn. Just when I was starting to get comfortable with the idea of buying licenses from anybody but the developers. I suppose this is the best time for me to see this warning though.

I often see account takeover offers here. But I wouldn't do it unless you check with the company first. I checked with IK Multimedia support and got this reply from a Technical Support Supervisor: "No, you cannot buy or sell entire IK accounts in this case."

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”