Phase Plant , OK Now what ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:43 am
LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:30 amSo you'd buy a synth, with few effects basic or advanced, use external effects to sound design and think that's alright ?
I've been doing exactly that for 80% of the time I've been making music.
So swapping GUI's for the effects, go back, change parameters, all that HASSLE and you'd be cool with it ?
Why would I have to do that? I use Studio One, my effect GUIs are visible in the mixer and most of the synths I use are small enough that they don't get in the way of the rest of what I'm doing. Like this -

S1_Motion.jpg

If you can work that way, more power to you, but I certainly can't and I doubt anyone else would want to.
Every mixer channel visible, with effects parameters visible, even with an instrument GUI open. OTOH, pretty much every synth I can think of with on-board effects hides them away on a different tab or panel, which makes my way more efficient and more flexible. So, yeah, I can work this way much better than you can work your way.
LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:26 amAnd if people are doing that with PP, kinda says a lot for the quality of PP effects really doesn't it.
No, really it just says a lot about how little most people really know about what they are doing, how little thought they put into it.
Well Cubase doesn't offer that option like S1 does, and if you have more than three parameters on an insert ?

One GUI open and tabbing to FX slots doesnt and having a screen full of different GUI's is a PITA when you are only on 1080p. And I keep screen 2 purely for analyzers etc.

Everyone has their own ways of doing things, you got yours I got mine, I know what works for me, and doesnt stunt my workflow. Doesnt mean im right and you are wrong, just means ppl work differently. I want all options open to me.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:58 am
SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 am
LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:26 am And if people are doing that with PP, kinda says a lot for the quality of PP effects really doesn't it.
I suspect people are doing that with all software synths, PP has more 'interesting' FX possibilities than most VST synths but you can do the same with TRIAD or others externally.

I have toolkit ultimate, I don't think the 'bread and butter fx' are very good (although there are a few unique and interesting ones) - the reverb and delay for example are quite basic....but, there are some fun fx in there and it's the 'holistic' way they are used in parallel and with frequency splitting etc that makes them 'fun' and creative....

Personally I didn't buy PP for the FX, more the audio rate modulation and modular workflow (worth 99 bucks to me) but now I have all of the FX the 3 lanes and modulation make it fun and interesting and that's enough for me...it is what it is and there are lots of good alternatives now that were not as good back when PP was launched (such as Pigments 3.5 which would be a good alternative)
Yeah but it's nice to have a choice, I use a lot of the onboard effects because they work well. If I want more or something else works better, yeah i'll load it into the insert slot. So far the FX I have in PP are pretty decent, and I am using them , although still learning the synth atm, so early days yet to get the most out of it.
Stacking, splitting and modulating the FX is what PP is all about. Very few synths in the market have multiple FX lanes, unlimited FX slots/instances, that support nested multiband processing that are also modulatable per voice, if your CPU can handle it. The Snapins on their own are quite vanilla, but they have been designed that way, to me at keast, to make them more serviceable as building blocks for more complex processing chains.

A little trick you can use to have access to FX while you're still trying them out and or waiting for a sale, is to create and save Snap Heap preset, with the most useful parameters mapped to the 8 macros, for each effect, which you can then use in Phase Plant, since you can load Snap Heap within PP and adjust (or even map) the macro values. It's not perfect like all workarounds but it's something.
Always Read the Manual!

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:08 am If Phase Plant 2 runs Doom, I’ll buy it on the spot.
MMkay, I will includes this in my feature request.

PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:16 am
LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:26 am And if people are doing that with PP, kinda says a lot for the quality of PP effects really doesn't it.
I suspect people are doing that with all software synths, PP has more 'interesting' FX possibilities than most VST synths but you can do the same with TRIAD or others externally.

I have toolkit ultimate, I don't think the 'bread and butter fx' are very good (although there are a few unique and interesting ones) - the reverb and delay for example are quite basic....but, there are some fun fx in there and it's the 'holistic' way they are used in parallel and with frequency splitting etc that makes them 'fun' and creative....

Personally I didn't buy PP for the FX, more the audio rate modulation and modular workflow (worth 99 bucks to me) but now I have all of the FX the 3 lanes and modulation make it fun and interesting and that's enough for me...it is what it is and there are lots of good alternatives now that were not as good back when PP was launched (such as Pigments 3.5 which would be a good alternative)
Yeah but it's nice to have a choice, I use a lot of the onboard effects because they work well. If I want more or something else works better, yeah i'll load it into the insert slot. So far the FX I have in PP are pretty decent, and I am using them , although still learning the synth atm, so early days yet to get the most out of it.
Stacking, splitting and modulating the FX is what PP is all about. Very few synths in the market have multiple FX lanes, unlimited FX slots/instances, that support nested multiband processing that are also modulatable per voice, if your CPU can handle it. The Snapins on their own are quite vanilla, but they have been designed that way, to me at keast, to make them more serviceable as building blocks for more complex processing chains.

A little trick you can use to have access to FX while you're still trying them out and or waiting for a sale, is to create and save Snap Heap preset, with the most useful parameters mapped to the 8 macros, for each effect, which you can then use in Phase Plant, since you can load Snap Heap within PP and adjust (or even map) the macro values. It's not perfect like all workarounds but it's something.
Yeah this is something that really seems cool to get into, especially on some ideas I got for presets. Screeches etc. Thankfully i got a good CPU so shouldn't be an issue. I have a few FX now too, so I can start playing with them, i'm sure others will appear eventually.

What was on the CM magazine disk , the free ones or others ? tbh I've not seen a copy of CM MAgazine in the newsagents for a long time.

dune_rave wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 am
Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:08 am If Phase Plant 2 runs Doom, I’ll buy it on the spot.
MMkay, I will includes this in my feature request.
No make it Doom 2, I preferred that one :)

Actually all the DOOM games are on Steam, now im tempted to go back to 1992 :)

LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:24 am

Yeah this is something that really seems cool to get into, especially on some ideas I got for presets. Screeches etc. Thankfully i got a good CPU so shouldn't be an issue. I have a few FX now too, so I can start playing with them, i'm sure others will appear eventually.

What was on the CM magazine disk , the free ones or others ? tbh I've not seen a copy of CM MAgazine in the newsagents for a long time.
I get my CM issues (whenever a freebie tickles my fancy) from Zinio (digital). Slice EQ was included with CM289 and Carve EQ with CM295. Trancegate, Pitch Shifter and one other, maybe Resonator (it's obscured on the cover) were free with CM261. You should be able to get the back issues from Zinio, that's how I got them both. They are all worth getting, even if you don't think you'll use them, since they will all contribute towards your Toolbox discount, should you decide to go all in at a later date.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 am
LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:24 am

I get my CM issues (whenever a freebie tickles my fancy) from Zinio (digital). Slice EQ was included with CM289 and Carve EQ with CM295. Trancegate, Pitch Shifter and one other, maybe Resonator (it's obscured on the cover) were free with CM261. You should be able to get the back issues from Zinio, that's how I got them both. They are all worth getting, even if you don't think you'll use them, since they will all contribute towards your Toolbox discount, should you decide to go all in at a later date.
Nice one, yeah I will do. :tu:

PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:16 am Stacking, splitting and modulating the FX is what PP is all about. Very few synths in the market have multiple FX lanes, unlimited FX slots/instances, that support nested multiband processing that are also modulatable per voice, if your CPU can handle it. The Snapins on their own are quite vanilla, but they have been designed that way, to me at keast, to make them more serviceable as building blocks for more complex processing chains.
I do all that stuff at the DAW level in Bitwig. To me, the DAW is the place for that as then I can do it with FX from any developer.

But hey, great that there are a wide variety of tools for different users.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:57 pm
PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:16 am Stacking, splitting and modulating the FX is what PP is all about. Very few synths in the market have multiple FX lanes, unlimited FX slots/instances, that support nested multiband processing that are also modulatable per voice, if your CPU can handle it. The Snapins on their own are quite vanilla, but they have been designed that way, to me at keast, to make them more serviceable as building blocks for more complex processing chains.
I do all that stuff at the DAW level in Bitwig. To me, the DAW is the place for that as then I can do it with FX from any developer.

But hey, great that there are a wide variety of tools for different users.
Yeh, Live and Bitwig (and probably others) can definitely achieve the same type of thing...but you wont get 1000's of pre-sets at DAW level (you have to roll your own every time which isn't for everyone) and you loose some portability of sounds in different DAWS...lots of tools, none will make you write a hit tune!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I have high hopes for Phase Plant 2. My #1 ask is for polyphonic effects, mostly so I can use the filters. The filter effects are excellent. The polyphonic filter is just meh, and very limited.

teilo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:53 pm The polyphonic filter is just meh, and very limited.
limited in what way?

teilo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:53 pm I have high hopes for Phase Plant 2. My #1 ask is for polyphonic effects, mostly so I can use the filters. The filter effects are excellent. The polyphonic filter is just meh, and very limited.
There are polyphonic effects now, so any of the filters can be used polyphonic. I assume you mean the different filters to be added to the generator section, correct? This I really hope as well. When the non-linear filter was released, I also sent in a request and they said that so many people were asking for it that they are considering it. I really hope it's part of V2.

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 pm Not in the slightest , I knew exactly what was required , I just didn't know they'd made it ridiculously expensive and convoluted to get all the additional effects, pushing things towards the subscription. But I guess you were too lazy to read that bit.
That makes zero sense. The product descriptions spell this out in the most obvious ways imaginable.
One minute of reading should make all of it perfectly, so i can't understand how you were confused about any of it.
https://kilohearts.com/products/kilohea ... ox#starter

psynical wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:20 pm
LeVzi wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 pm Not in the slightest , I knew exactly what was required , I just didn't know they'd made it ridiculously expensive and convoluted to get all the additional effects, pushing things towards the subscription. But I guess you were too lazy to read that bit.
That makes zero sense. The product descriptions spell this out in the most obvious ways imaginable.
One minute of reading should make all of it perfectly, so i can't understand how you were confused about any of it.
https://kilohearts.com/products/kilohea ... ox#starter
Doesnt give all the effects does it, each bundle offers effects but not them all, if you want them all, you have to buy the synth again. Which part of that isnt sinking in ?

LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:21 pm Doesnt give all the effects does it, each bundle offers effects but not them all, if you want them all, you have to buy the synth again.
wat?

Return to “Instruments”