Xfer OTT - alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, i finally checked out OTT for the upcoming OSC challenge. Subtlety, thy name is NOT OTT! Man, it was more aggressive than I thought. I can see its uses for hard-edged music, though, but probably not for gently taming peaks in ambient tracks. Adaptr's Sculpt, then, will remain my go-to weapon of choice.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

tomcarmichael wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:50 am Mark ‘Spike’ Stent is using it on his mix bus in a lecture/ demonstration on YouTube, with the depth at just 2% , I find this setting can inject a lot of energy/ excitement into a mix if you need it, without totally destroying it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZfPaepcRsyY&feature=share

Around 13 mins 35 seconds
Yes, as this thing is literally violent, one has to stop it down with the "depth" (mix) control.

I just found out that Cubase 12 has a bult-in three band upwards/downwards compressor with lots of parameters called Squasher (appropriate name, I think). Hopefully it's more subtle than OTT. We'll see.

Boy Wonder wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:46 am So, i finally checked out OTT for the upcoming OSC challenge. Subtlety, thy name is NOT OTT! Man, it was more aggressive than I thought. I can see its uses for hard-edged music, though, but probably not for gently taming peaks in ambient tracks. Adaptr's Sculpt, then, will remain my go-to weapon of choice.
That was my first impression too when I didnt understand how to use it. After messing with it a little i noticed the Depth parameter. Its basically Wet/Dry for aggression. So it doesn't have to be extreme if you don't want it to be.

Boy Wonder wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:46 am So, i finally checked out OTT for the upcoming OSC challenge. Subtlety, thy name is NOT OTT! Man, it was more aggressive than I thought. I can see its uses for hard-edged music, though, but probably not for gently taming peaks in ambient tracks. Adaptr's Sculpt, then, will remain my go-to weapon of choice.
OTT is literally acronym for “over the top” so i guess subtlety isn’t its focus.

Depth 0-15% is for normal operation, 15-100% is for compression fx

"OTT" means Over the top? I'll be damned! I didn't know. Yeah, it does sound nice. I'm digging that upwards compression bit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:09 pm "OTT" means Over the top? I'll be damned! I didn't know. Yeah, it does sound nice. I'm digging that upwards compression bit.
Yeah, OTT sparked my interest into upward compression as well.
Uhbik-C (v2.0 alpha), tone boosters compressor v4, abberant shapeshifter and Adaptr scuplt also have it.
Some Flux compressors too

Ploki wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:34 pm Yeah, OTT sparked my interest into upward compression as well.
Uhbik-C (v2.0 alpha),
tone boosters compressor v4,
abberant shapeshifter
Funny, but Uhbik-C doesn't "sound" to me the same as I'd expect to hear UWC.
OTT, SS, TB C4 - with all I seem to "identity" the "upwardness". Uhbik-C, whilst great on its own... is different (I'm talking about the inflation mechanism - on its own).

eytanmich123 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:35 am Funny, but Uhbik-C doesn't "sound" to me the same as I'd expect to hear UWC.
OTT, SS, TB C4 - with all I seem to "identity" the "upwardness". Uhbik-C, whilst great on its own... is different (I'm talking about the inflation mechanism - on its own).
Yeah it behaves a bit different.
I’m not sure how it works but it’s a form of upward compression :)
I guess that the upward part depends on the release of downward part, so the inflation only kicks in after release stage of downard is completed?
Whilst with typical upward, it begins boosting right under the threshold without waiting for compression release stage to finish?

Just guessing here

Does anybody know if also other
Xfer free plugins will be updated (with bigger UI)?
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

There's a plugin called OxyOTT which is coming next month I think. I'm part of the beta and it's like MOTT from slate digital(with all the features) and more including Linear Phase filters so it doesn't mess with phase.

This is OTT with an added saturation stage. Now that the developer has added makeup gain for the three bands, it's a really alternative. There's oversampling too. And it's free.

https://sixthsample.com/cramit/

onerob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:48 pm This is OTT with an added saturation stage. Now that the developer has added makeup gain for the three bands, it's a really alternative. There's oversampling too. And it's free.

https://sixthsample.com/cramit/
well this is interesting. also Apple Silicon native.

MichaelWhiteMusic wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:37 pm There's a plugin called OxyOTT which is coming next month I think. I'm part of the beta and it's like MOTT from slate digital(with all the features) and more including Linear Phase filters so it doesn't mess with phase.
sounds like NDA breach

NDA breach? I don't know what you mean. I'm allowed to talk about the plugin if you mean something like that

Return to “Effects”