Zoom call with Roger: First Tuesday of each month at 10 am California time

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I encourage anyone interested to join the call! Attended the last one and was a blast :)

this bassist made a really cool bass controller goes by Lokki, is a working musician, programs teensy stuff, and PD synths for sure. the pics available (search Lokki bass controller) are of his first gen midi bass second gen is really something.

i don’t know how to get a hold of Lokki but his stuff is amazing (i know him from akso forum)

also for fretted stuff there is Instrument One and Joue play which might be of interest

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/64462-qu ... ?styleid=1

there are 3 pics (idk if links are ok) and this is his 2nd version

Very cool mr bien, thanks for sharing! Looks like Loki used the same soft pot method that Roger proposed on the call.

PS, I made a video showing the speed bumps in action:

https://youtu.be/2w4ukoNF1Ls

yep, he figured out some code to allow you to play 2 notes per string too, also put a long fsr under the soft pot and the ‘strings’ are triggered with fsr pads. the new version has a crazy spinner that generates an lfo, and there are some other things i don’t quite remember. i found a video of him playing it.
https://youtu.be/JCAHrpqLjRk
seems like it works pretty well.
i forget the method he uses to determine the 2 touches on one soft pot (didn’t quite understand it so it didn’t stick)

cool vid, also smooth on do make transparent silicones, idk if you are using platinum cure? i think it might not work in a resin printed 3d mold (heard there were inhibitions) i wonder about coating silicone to make it slippery i know baby powder works but how sealed the sensor on the linnstrument is might not mean that the other parts are that sealed. i like your project, i am like ‘Jack’ in that the surface of linnstrument is a little too sticky and rough for my taste so i made mine sorta flush (similar to you i made a mold to pour silicone that approximates (not quite perfect) the grooves and then poured a thin sheet) then i eventually just covered with a transparency sanded to give it a matte texture, and taped that over the other 2 layers

I can't find the exotic instruments website a community member shared the in the Dec zoom call. Does anyone have the link handy?

Roger thanks for mentioning the custom firmware from Yin Wang

i did columns set to 2 and rows set to 5 and changed the mpe to 24. the layout is isomorphic!!! and really nice for scales and melodies. this is so very good! i feel that other than guitarists and bassists who know the original layout like the back of their hand this is a winner. (i may try -5 in order to put the bass notes at the top, but so far so good)

i feel on the verge of a new relationship (and the other one who sometimes plays it, absolutely loves it)

some features are: that diagonal to the left is always minor 3rd going straight up is a 4th and diagonal to the right is a 5th. semitones are strange at first but you can bend them notes!
anyway first impressions/observations :)

I’m glad you found your solution!

mr Bien wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 am Roger thanks for mentioning the custom firmware from Yin Wang

i did columns set to 2 and rows set to 5 and changed the mpe to 24. the layout is isomorphic!!! and really nice for scales and melodies. this is so very good! i feel that other than guitarists and bassists who know the original layout like the back of their hand this is a winner. (i may try -5 in order to put the bass notes at the top, but so far so good)

i feel on the verge of a new relationship (and the other one who sometimes plays it, absolutely loves it)

some features are: that diagonal to the left is always minor 3rd going straight up is a 4th and diagonal to the right is a 5th. semitones are strange at first but you can bend them notes!
anyway first impressions/observations :)
This is the layout I've been using since I got it and it's fantastic. It's nice to know this can be done in firmware since that's way more convenient than the way I was doing it, which using a python program I wrote: https://github.com/flipcoder/linnstrument-wholetone.

It is unfortunate that the Zoom meeting recording for July 4th is unavailable. I have been relying on them as a source of information regarding LinnStrument development.

Sorry for my error, Frank. If you have any questions, I’m happy to help.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”