OneSynthChallenge Instrumental with a grain of D'n'B rhythm

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is my current OneSynthChallenge #156 Track featuring the awesomely terrible Synth Synister (http://the-synister.github.io/).

It's a Synth troubled by many things. Among them aliasing oscillators. Really terrible. I liked it ;-)
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/pete ... erstschlag

Tell me what you think! Be gentle...

] Peter:H [
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

I love it. I heard everyone saying terrible things about this synth. Then I heard this. I might enter after all.

I'm not familiar with Synth Synister, but the track sounds pretty solid to me. Sometimes there's some build up in the upper mids where it gets a little honky, but nothing majorly distracting.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

empphryio wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:48 am I love it. I heard everyone saying terrible things about this synth. Then I heard this. I might enter after all.
Many many thanks empphryio.
Actually the synth - I have looked into the programm code of the oscillator - is kind of amateurish even from an amateurs perspective. But that does not mean you cannot use it to make a song.
I rather think - synister has character. Character in a world of polished synths is not bad.
And on top - I have learned a lot trying to squeeze out some pleasing sounds out of it...

BTW: I have updated the track slightly today.

Did you mostly change the ending? I think maybe it sounds even better. You have a sound kind of like a melodica that somehow really works well in it. Gives it a unique feel, strange ... mysterious... yet good, and full of energy.

I made a song with it this morning. But I haven't been able to make many good sounds. Just slight variations on a couple.

empphryio wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:49 pm Did you mostly change the ending? I think maybe it sounds even better. You have a sound kind of like a melodica that somehow really works well in it. Gives it a unique feel, strange ... mysterious... yet good, and full of energy.

I made a song with it this morning. But I haven't been able to make many good sounds. Just slight variations on a couple.
Yes, close to the end I have changed the melody slightly. Additionally I have added a very subtle panning effect on the snare drum pattern and changed the bed sound which starts alread right at the begining.

Please share what you have. I'm not good at giving advice, but may be I can assist at least to some extent.

BTW: It was really fun to use Bitwigs note functions. The snare loop is basically one pattern one count long where I switched on and off notes based on the repetition number of the pattern, i.e. some notes only play on repetition 4.
On top I have used some "tigger" notes which switch on reverb, delay or a panning fx. these trigger notes make as well us of the note functions and are part of the snare loop. Bitwig is really hilarious in what you can do with it.

https://soundcloud.com/baronbodissey/os ... al_sharing
Well this is what I made. But I think I'm just going to start over. I want to write music more like you're making. In this one I just droned on with the same lead because I haven't been able to make hardly any distinct decent sounds. I will start over in a minor key and try to embrace some of other sounds this synth can make.

empphryio wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:50 pm Well this is what I made. But I think I'm just going to start over [...] In this one I just droned on with the same lead because I haven't been able to make hardly any distinct decent sounds. I will start over in a minor key and try to embrace some of other sounds this synth can make.
Not bad :tu: I think working at details (patches, mixing, composition) and this would be a pretty decent track which will find it's OSC audience.
empphryio wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:50 pm I want to write music more like you're making.
Please keep in mind I finished #29 last round ... so if you want to have some success in OSC better not make musik like I do :)

Have you had many high finishes just out of curiosity? Your music is complicated and can be dark/aggressive. Last month the distortion level might have hurt you. (It hurt me :) ). Again lots of great music. Vaguely reminded of Skinny Puppy.

This track has got a nice catchy drive to it. Could do with some polishing.

Update Notice - 24.02.2022
Just Updated my Track "WW3 Erstschlag" (Erstschlag means Preemptive Strike).
Finde the link to the trackin the post above!

We stand with the people who love peace everywhere, be it russian, ukrain, belarus, everywhere
f**k DICTATORS
f**k WARMONGERS
f**k PSYCHOPATH NARCIST ASSHOLE "Leaders" everywhere
f**k THEM EVERYWHERE
#MIR #PEACE

empphryio wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:10 pm Have you had many high finishes just out of curiosity? Your music is complicated and can be dark/aggressive. Last month the distortion level might have hurt you. (It hurt me :) ). Again lots of great music. Vaguely reminded of Skinny Puppy.
Only a handful of top 5 and one 1st place with "Hy - A -Gressive". Rest more or less mid field.
The #29 place with the distorted track - I had a clear vision of esthetics I want to achive that fits to what I wanted to express ... I really actually don't care about the #29 place. I do care that some people really did not understand a faintest bit of the "message" and that the completely destroyed sound was on intention ... anyway ... explaining "art/a concept" is futile ...

joshbass wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:23 am This track has got a nice catchy drive to it. Could do with some polishing.
:tu: joshbass

I have provided a few updates to soundcloud since the first upload. Hope I was able polish it a bit by removing the mud in the lower freq range...

Biggest Problem is that this is a "One Synth Challenge" track featuring only the VST Synth "Synister" along with free FX.

Synister suffers from many things among them is Aliasing Oscillators. In my eyes the Synth has been coded more to show usuability aspects than be of real use as a real instrument... it was built as a student project by the "Quality & Usability Lab of the University of Berlin" ;-)
Anyway - I hope it's not a bad listen.

] Peter:H [

] Peter:H [ wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:09 pm This is my current OneSynthChallenge #156 Track featuring the awesomely terrible Synth Synister (http://the-synister.github.io/).
Very good track. I listened to a Synister demo video and I didn't like the sound, but you've done a really good job with it.

empphryio wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:50 pm Well this is what I made. But I think I'm just going to start over. I want to write music more like you're making. In this one I just droned on with the same lead because I haven't been able to make hardly any distinct decent sounds. I will start over in a minor key and try to embrace some of other sounds this synth can make.
Sounds pretty decent for a first go-round.

Return to “Music Cafe”