Cubase 12

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:22 am
RikkShow wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:04 am
EnGee wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 pm I don't see a big difference in performance compared to 12.0.10, but glad that they are updating it with this pace (Windows 10/Ryzen here).

S1 are still snapier and more stable with VST3 plugins on my system!
Do you have the VST3s set so they go to sleep if not passing audio or not?
Do you mean in Cubase or S1? Anyway, both are in default mode. I don't know where do you enable that in Cubase, but in S1 it is enabled (plugin nap).
I meant Cubase. Set it so they do NOT sleep. Saw somebody say it fixed his problem.

RikkShow wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:48 am
EnGee wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 pm I don't see a big difference in performance compared to 12.0.10, but glad that they are updating it with this pace (Windows 10/Ryzen here).

Do you mean in Cubase or S1? Anyway, both are in default mode. I don't know where do you enable that in Cubase, but in S1 it is enabled (plugin nap).
I meant Cubase. Set it so they do NOT sleep. Saw somebody say it fixed his problem.
Where do you set it? I couldn't find such option (I might overlooked it).

Don't remember where, but it is in there somewhere.

EnGee wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:44 am

Edit->Preferences->VST - Plug-ins->Suspend VST 3 plug-in processing when no audio signals are received:
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro/v12/e ... ins_r.html
I believe it's OFF by default, because Steinberg recommends that.

Googly Smythe wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:57 am

Edit->Preferences->VST - Plug-ins->Suspend VST 3 plug-in processing when no audio signals are received:
Oh yes it is off! Thank you!

Well, I enabled it. Can't say there is a noticeable difference, but I will keep my eyes on it.

I also tested the same project in Cubase 12, Live 11 and S1 v5 (all latest updates). Cubase actually is not bad at all! I set the buffer size to 32 (I usually set it to 64 or 128) and Cubase still playing good (the peak indicator never crossed the half). The project is in its start with about 10 tracks of heavy VSTi like Massive X, Pigments, OPSix and Wavestate, but only two tracks playing (recorded midi) and they are Pigments and Addictive Drums 2. Anyway, Cubase was doing fine while Live with the same settings clipped!! S1 was impressive and the best among the three.

This is just a simple test by me that exposed Live 11 as the worst with buffer 32 and 48kHz. I need to set it to 64 or ideally to 128 (which is ok for Live). 64 buffer size is ideal for Cubase but no problem if I set it to 32, while S1 is fantastic with 32 buffer.

I haven't tested Bitwig yet, but I think it is better than Live. Anyway, I think Cubase 12 is ok overall (for me) but it still needs some optimizations in CPU usage.

Sigh. Everyone can use such small buffer sizes in C12 but not me! Because of my low class Ryzen HP laptop, Windows 11 and Presonus interface, I have to use 512 buffer or suffer the wrath of the Pops & Clicks Gods. Not only that but the Presonus drivers are rubbish so I'm using ASIO4All. It works like a dream and, even at 512, I'm still getting good latency.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Googly Smythe wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:57 am

Hang on...isn't this meant to be one of the benefits of VST3? :-)

kperry wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:26 am

Yes, aax as well, but some plugins have issues with that because of the way they work, so Steinberg recommends it to be switched off by default in order to avoid these compatibility issues, although ultimately it's up to each user to decide, depending on their configuration.

Boy Wonder wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:40 am Sigh. Everyone can use such small buffer sizes in C12 but not me! Because of my low class Ryzen HP laptop, Windows 11 and Presonus interface, I have to use 512 buffer or suffer the wrath of the Pops & Clicks Gods. Not only that but the Presonus drivers are rubbish so I'm using ASIO4All. It works like a dream and, even at 512, I'm still getting good latency.
Using ASIO4ALL over the official Presonus drivers does not sound like a good idea

Boy Wonder wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:40 am Sigh. Everyone can use such small buffer sizes in C12 but not me! Because of my low class Ryzen HP laptop, Windows 11 and Presonus interface, I have to use 512 buffer or suffer the wrath of the Pops & Clicks Gods. Not only that but the Presonus drivers are rubbish so I'm using ASIO4All. It works like a dream and, even at 512, I'm still getting good latency.
How is that an issue with Cubase 12? Sounds like your CPU is the problem.

raysaul wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:32 am
kperry wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:26 am

Yes, aax as well, but some plugins have issues with that because of the way they work, so Steinberg recommends it to be switched off by default in order to avoid these compatibility issues, although ultimately it's up to each user to decide, depending on their configuration.
That was meant to be somewhat sarcastic, given some of the conversations on KvR recently (VST3 vs CLAP, for example) aboud the merits of VST3.

Silly question... but where is the scan data for Waves plugins saved???

VST3: ...\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 12_64\Cubase Pro VST3 Cache\vst3plugins.xml ... but no Waves...
VST2: ...\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 12_64\Vst2xPlugin Infos Cubase.xml ...

Where are the Waves ones???

One other issue I found... perhaps someone has a solution for that...:

on my 4k system everytime I open a scaleable Voxengo plugin like SPAN or PrimeEQ it gets scaled bigger and bigger in Cubase (but just in Cubase... doesn´t happen in any other DAW)
Means I load for instance SPAN which already opens bigger in Cubase than in other DAWs...
I close the GUI and open it again... it´s nearly double as big...
Next time again nearly doubled....

The only way to stop this was to enable the native scaling solution for this plugin but of course this creates an blurry GUI...

chk071 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:13 am
How is that an issue with Cubase 12? Sounds like your CPU is the problem.
Any Ryzen class CPU should be enough for decent latency, even 1st gen. Best way to find and fix issues like these is to run LatencyMon to find out what driver or software is causing the problem. Prebuilts and laptops usually come pre-loaded with a ton of crap that increase DPC latency. A fresh install of Windows with only necessary software and drivers might be your best bet.

And there it is... At this moment Cubase 12 hangs at checking licenses and is unable to start up. :(
I want the dongle back. :x

Edit: Fixed. If you run into this problem you have to run the download assistant and let it update the activation manager.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”