Cubase 12

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:40 pm One other issue I found... perhaps someone has a solution for that...:

on my 4k system everytime I open a scaleable Voxengo plugin like SPAN or PrimeEQ it gets scaled bigger and bigger in Cubase (but just in Cubase... doesn´t happen in any other DAW)
Means I load for instance SPAN which already opens bigger in Cubase than in other DAWs...
I close the GUI and open it again... it´s nearly double as big...
Next time again nearly doubled....

The only way to stop this was to enable the native scaling solution for this plugin but of course this creates an blurry GUI...
Just got the confirmation from Voxengo... this is a known issue for Steinberg stuff and they have to fix it...
Good workaround: this happens just with the VST3 plugins ... VST2 works fine...

This is really funny... the guys who founded VST3 and who want to push everybody to it cannot even integrate VST3 into their own products properly ... what a great company...

Yay! Success! Thanks, @AdvancedFollower. Here's what I did.
1. I d/l LatencyMon and ran it. It said my issue was a Windows program called wdf01000.sys. Since that's a kernel driver than handles Plug & Play routines, communication between hardware and software, and other things, I thought I'd do some research before removing it.
2. I found out that LatencyMon recognized simply recognized wdf01000.sys was overloading my system but not the program that had called it up. For that, I'd have to d/l the Windows Performance Toolkit. So I did.
3. Running the kit, which took a while to figure out, I asked it to find out what was causing glitches. Upon analysis, it showed several Windows programs, all necessary, were executed in the background. One program, though, stood out - AUEPMaster.exe. I looked it up - AMD User Experience Program. I never signed up for this nonsense so I uninstalled it...
4. ...but not with the Windows uninstaller because it doesn't show up in their app list. I had to use Wise Uninstaller.
5. I rebooted my system, ram LatencyMon again, and lo and behold, 12 minutes of monitoring and it says humble computer is fine for recording audio. AUEPMaster was probably already in the computer when i bought it three years ago. Wow! I've been struggling all this time and the culprit was bloatware. Should've known.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Congrats! Tracking down those kinds of issues can be quite involved, as you noticed, which is why I wasn't able to provide any more detailed instructions than "Run LatencyMon". How you deal with it from there really depends on what is causing issues in the first place. I did a quick Google search on AMD User Experience Program and it seems to cause issues for quite a few users so probably worth disabling on any DAW PC.

Is that AMD thing related to a graphic card or a processor?

EnGee wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:47 pm Is that AMD thing related to a graphic card or a processor?
I have a Ryzen CPU but an Nvidia graphics card, and I didn't have it installed even though I've installed the official Chipset Drivers from AMD. So it might be a GPU thing, probably including AMD CPUs with built-in graphics such as those which are common in low-power laptops.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:58 am
EnGee wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:47 pm Is that AMD thing related to a graphic card or a processor?
I have a Ryzen CPU but an Nvidia graphics card, and I didn't have it installed even though I've installed the official Chipset Drivers from AMD. So it might be a GPU thing, probably including AMD CPUs with built-in graphics such as those which are common in low-power laptops.
Oh I see! It might be like the nVidia Experience that I don't bother to install because it affects Cubase's performance (and possibly other audio applications).
Thanks for the confirmation :)

Is Cubase 12 pro supposed to have the menu bar locked to the top of the screen permanently and then a floating project window? Is there a way to fix/lock/merge the 2 together?

I can drag 1 around which has the project in it, but the other one is locked on monitor 1.

DAW: Cubase 12 Pro
Last edited by MegaPixel on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't ask... :lol:

That window management is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. IIRC, I read that it's supposed to make things uniform for Windows and Mac OS. But, I don't know, it's a really strange design choice.

IIRC, you can double click on the top bar, and then the project window is locked to the main window.

chk071 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:15 pm Don't ask... :lol:

That window management is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. IIRC, I read that it's supposed to make things uniform for Windows and Mac OS. But, I don't know, it's a really strange design choice.
Ah, well... Yeeesh....

I bought it on sale today and accidentally pressed a few keys on the keyboard and it put the project (floating window) to not full screen and I was like... WTF is that bar doing at the top? Spent 30 mins trying all the menus and pressing every button and gave up, then :idea: ask KVR.

I edited my post above. Try double clicking the top bar.

chk071 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:15 pm I read that it's supposed to make things uniform for Windows and Mac OS...
I hate to say this, nearly up in my mouth...

Adobe... heave... Ado... heave... Deep breath...

Steinberg should see Adobe Photoshop for how window docking should work. Heave...

Impressive to actually do something worse than adobe...
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

chk071 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:19 pm I edited my post above. Try double clicking the top bar.
Seems I can drag it to my 2nd monitor, but that's about it...

That's just weird as [bleep machine]...
Not a single programmer I've met in my 22 years as a programmer would make that decision...

As for the reason steinberg gave, "to help with cross platform compatibility/uniformity", that's complete BS / really bad GUI/UI/UX design & functionality skills.

My guess is:

Designer / Brief:
Put a global menu on project windows for PC also, so it's more uniform cross platform, lets go with the mac OS X style of things.

Programmer:
Ok, menu's in, hmmm do they really need docking or the ability to minimise, drag or resize the title bar, I know it will get in the way of icons on windows but hey they all use a mac here, I think I can get away with it...

Well the designer & brief didn't say anything about the resize or drag and typical functionality windows users expect, a mac can't do that... And everyone here apart from the testing team offshore are using mac's, so let's see if I can get away without doing that, not got enough time to program the other stuff anyway...

Step 1. Flag it as done and hope it doesn't get brought up again.

Step 2. If brought up again or all the functionality you expected is requested after submission is requested, get a little upset and tell everyone it will take weeks. Project manager will probably, as always say, ok leave it for version 40.

Step 3. If they persist, program it.

or

Project Manager
This is supposed to be released tomorrow, wtf are you doing? Ok skip that functionality we will add it in version 40.

In reality it's probably somewhere in-between.....

https://youtu.be/p7NOwX9Dkag
Last edited by MegaPixel on Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

It's a shame that a nice DAW like Cubase Pro has the Window issue. :(

It's not an issue for everyone. Some of us get along with it just fine.

Besides, seems like every Windows program ignores Windows interface guidelines these days. Look at DaVinci Resolve.
During the war... Sorry, on my old Atari I remember a text editor where the developer decided that the standard order of menus was wrong, so he decided to reverse the order - the file menu was last and the Window menu was first.
Some programs are still using the Vista open/save dialog.
Some programs have no menu bar at all.
&tc.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”