Korg Wavestate and Opsix for Win/Mac

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

beely wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:02 am According to Dan, opsix has been updated to 1.0.3, which fixes the cpu issues, particularly on Apple silicon. Should be in Korg Software Pass now... it's had a similar audio reworking to the recent wavestate update, and the effects should be equally as dramatic as regards CPU use.
Played with 1.0.3 for a bit. CPU usage is significantly reduced on my late 2015 iMac. Much more reasonable now.
Stormchild

I haven't installed the final version yet, but had access to a beta version for the last week. My Windows issues with sluggish graphics have also been fixed in that version. Thumbs up!

Arashi wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:34 am
beely wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:02 am According to Dan, opsix has been updated to 1.0.3, which fixes the cpu issues, particularly on Apple silicon. Should be in Korg Software Pass now... it's had a similar audio reworking to the recent wavestate update, and the effects should be equally as dramatic as regards CPU use.
Played with 1.0.3 for a bit. CPU usage is significantly reduced on my late 2015 iMac. Much more reasonable now.
Yes the CPU is lower, but what about these graphics glitches?! (Ableton Live 11)

Still the exact same issues here with OpSix v1.03 on Windows 10.. CPU usage goes to 100% whenever you stop playing notes.

Boy Wonder wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:20 pm It is interesting what people look for in synths. Fascinating, really. To me, what makes or breaks a synth is its arpeggiator functions - if it has one, that is. I use them a lot, and the more complex, the better.
I'm not sure if you are joking. But seriously, the arpeggiator is "what makes or breaks a synth" for you? Fascinating.

You do realize that for the most part the arpeggiator that comes with your DAW is usually more sophisticated than the one that would be featured in a hardware (or software) synth? There are exceptions of course. The arpeggiator in Omnisphere v2 is pretty slick, for instance.

The two arpeggiators in Cubase 12, Arpache and ArpacheSX, are cool but they're missing a couple of elements I like such as swing, octaves, as well as volume, gate, tie, pitch and ratcheting for each step in a 16-or-32 step sequence. Cream on the top would be if the arpeggiator was locked to a specific key.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:35 am The two arpeggiators in Cubase 12, Arpache and ArpacheSX, are cool but they're missing a couple of elements I like such as swing, octaves, as well as volume, gate, tie, pitch and ratcheting for each step in a 16-or-32 step sequence. Cream on the top would be if the arpeggiator was locked to a specific key.
I have no idea why any synth dev should waist development time for such a sophisticated arpeggiator. It is way better to have this separate as this has the advantage that you only need to learn one… There are enough arps out there to get you covered for the rest of your life and all of your synths…
The built in arps are just there to sell the shit with juicy presets. They don‘t need to be sophisticated for that and I would even prefer that the synth comes without an arp, then I don‘t have to skip all presets with arps…

^Exactly, which is why after demoing Kirnu Cream, BlueArp, Stochas, the HY stuff, LibreArp, RandARP and a few others, I've sort of settled into Riffer. It's fairly stable even when used in Patchwork.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Korg currently have summer sale , up to 50% off, wavestate native and opsix native are 149.... Still no special discount for korg collection owners. I will wait to see black friday price.

Downloaded the demos :

opsix use much cpu - is this okay? I have a very strong pc (intel i7 12 core) and I use reaper on Windows 11, and still opsix demo (v 1.03) has a cpu usage 5 -10 %. Even when nothing is played.
/comparison: it's hard to bring u-he repro-5 above 4% cpu usage in my environment/
My Oppinion bout opsix currently : cpu high, demo crashed one time, sounds uninspiring compared to plogue ops-7 or dexed. Small number of presets in Opsix! GUI is horrible.
Yeah - I like "CLASSIC" dx7 sounds. For me Arturia dx7 could be another dx-style plugin to chose. If there's no change, I simply forget Opsix.

About wavestate demo: for the first glance I see this is different : preset browser is not like a simple list (opsix !) it's a browser. Sounds are interesting / inspiring (Pluginguru a.k.a John 'Skippy' Lehmkuhl presets inside!) and cpu usage is OK. The GUI is crap. not that horrible like opsix, but c'mon it's like the software editor of a hardware. Maybe it's what it is - they did not take the time to make the software itself to be something, it's just a software for their hardware...

I'm a fan of Korg software, but these two are not my fav.
I would not buy Opsix in its current state at black friday, even if highly discounted.
On the other hand Wavestate native is on my list, but the current 149 is too high. I will wait for the upgrade path for the collection owners.

+ going elsewhere to spend > 200 on summer discounts, bye Korg

They didn't do a black friday discount on wavestate/opsix native last year.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

DigitalShaman wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:44 pm
dumbledog wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:06 pm Anyone know of a servicable non-centering joystick that can send MIDI? The only one I've been able to find is the Lab4music Enjoy for a cool $300, yowch.

Come to think of it I have a Roland D-05, I wonder if its stick transmits MIDI...
On a hunch that it would work I just picked up a Korg Kontrol 49 to use with Wavestate Native.
I have some simple function working, but looks like I'm going to have to spend some time configuring. Both Wavestate and controller are new to me so seems a daunting task. Anyone have a template for the Kontrol?
I remembered I do have a Korg nanoKEY studio somewhere. It turns out the joystick of Wavestate Native can be controlled without problems with the touchpad in XY mode.
Also the Kaossilator PRO + can be easily configured to be used this way.
Last edited by FotoxBr on Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rod Staples wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 pm They didn't do a black friday discount on wavestate/opsix native last year.
At that time they weren't even released.

rafa1981 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:49 pm
Rod Staples wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 pm They didn't do a black friday discount on wavestate/opsix native last year.
At that time they weren't even released.
True, sorry I must have been thinking of the last sale, they didn't include wavestate and opsix, I was especially waiting for it.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

danatkorg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:37 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:09 pm Why is it not possible to create subfolders in the user folder to organise saved presets? It's going to get very messy if there's no way to do this
Are you asking about wavestate native, opsix native, or the Odyssey?
Hi Dan I have a patch that crashes OPSix 100% of the time, where do I need to send it? There doesn't seem to be any sort of support link in my Korg ID account site.

WaveState Native (standalone) / MIDI question. I'm looking to map my controller to WaveState Native, to where I can select Performances from Set Lists. What I have working so far, is creating Set Lists. Sending Program Changes from 0 - 63 go through the 64 slots in the Active Set List. 0 = A1, 1 = A2.. 16 = B1 .. thru 63 = D16 to select different performances. All good (though to be honest... if there is a way of specifically sending Bank Select A-D, I would prefer that). What I dont see.. and am hoping for a little help - is what MIDI CC can I send to choose and make active, a different Set List? The 64 performance slots in the setlist, are quickly eaten up.. as I'm using multiple performances for parts of songs.

Any help or push in the right direction, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Joe

Return to “Instruments”