Behringer DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nightjar wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:39 am Behringer cannot release a DAW until after Mackie gets its done.
They used to own tracktion.

I’m thinking Behringer discovered complex software development isn’t as easy as they assumed, or were perhaps told. Anyone who’s developed software from scratch knows you should at a minimum, double the programmer estimates.

and then double it again... and you will still have underestimated :hihi:

Studio Two?
Reasonable?
Intellection?
Cube Ace?
Reep R?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:21 pm I’m thinking Behringer discovered complex software development isn’t as easy as they assumed, or were perhaps told. Anyone who’s developed software from scratch knows you should at a minimum, double the programmer estimates.
They tried to sell off part of MusicTribe recently and failed, it is quite possible this was cancelled, they aren't really delivering any of the synths they have showed in the last few years, don't be surprised if Behringer just goes back to its old tried and tested product lines.
Duh

bungle wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:23 am
jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:21 pm I’m thinking Behringer discovered complex software development isn’t as easy as they assumed, or were perhaps told. Anyone who’s developed software from scratch knows you should at a minimum, double the programmer estimates.
They tried to sell off part of MusicTribe recently and failed, it is quite possible this was cancelled, they aren't really delivering any of the synths they have showed in the last few years, don't be surprised if Behringer just goes back to its old tried and tested product lines.

There is actually no reason to assume anything of that sort - they didn't try to sell of MusicTribe companies, they wanted to sell a bulk of shares; there was a lot of interest too, but due to the current economic situation no party was brave enough to invest the two billions Uli wanted - hence no deal.
Uli simply wasn't interested in getting aynthing less and had no need to sell. It's not like they ran out of money.

But I don't see how this business stuff would affect the operational decisions of their individual entities.
The new synthesizers currently can't be produced because of the chip crisis which affects them heavily and even got worse due to the war in Ukraine (they need neon for production and half of that usually comes from Ukraine, but because of the war they had to halt production https://www.reuters.com/technology/excl ... 022-03-11/ ).

These synthesizers are said to come out as soon as they manage to get the required chips. There is no reason to assume aynthing else - it also wouldn't make much sense from a buisness viewpoint - first of all those they already released sell quite well and then they already invested a lot into their development.

It's a similar thing with the DAW - development talkes longer than anticipated (as it happens) but they already invested so much and it's already mostly done by now most probably, so why stop?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:52 pm
The new synthesizers currently can't be produced because of the chip crisis

Behringer announced many synths. Of the ones that have shipped, they are all monophonic and not one of the announced polysynths has. Something seems a bit odd about that.

I'm kinda glad that Behringer has been delayed. It allowed various smaller synth companies to release new synths that are re-imaginings of some classic synths without having to be compared to a cheaper version from B.

For example Groove Synthesis and their just released 3rd Wave. I'm glad it doesn't have to immediately compete with a PPG Wave recreation from Behringer.

spaceman wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:36 pm Studio Two?
Reasonable?
Intellection?
Cube Ace?
Reep R?
I quite like the sound of "Beaper".
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:43 pm
spaceman wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:36 pm Studio Two?
Reasonable?
Intellection?
Cube Ace?
Reep R?
I quite like the sound of "Beaper".
I feel forced to follow that reasoning to Boob Ace
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:24 pm

Behringer announced many synths. Of the ones that have shipped, they are all monophonic and not one of the announced polysynths has. Something seems a bit odd about that.
Why would that be odd? You just replied to a quote of mine where I explained that they have a shortage of chips... :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:11 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:24 pm

Why would that be odd? You just replied to a quote of mine where I explained that they have a shortage of chips... :shrug:
I suspect there is more going on than chip shortage...

Looks like they have plenty of help to cutdown that development process.
According to Behringer, the new plug-ins are being programmed by renowned VST developers working closely with the team at TC Electronic. In addition to its guitar effects, the Behringer-owned Danish company is known for its Icon Series plug-ins, as well as the Finalizer mastering software. So they know a thing or two about DSP development.

Release date? Who knows…
While Behringer has repeatedly pointed at the ongoing chip crisis to explain why many of the announced hardware synths aren’t shipping yet, this obviously doesn’t apply to the DAW project. That said, the company has yet to state a definite release date.
From the looks of it, they're well on their way.

eerie_audio wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:03 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:21 pm
According to Behringer, the new plug-ins are being programmed by renowned VST developers working closely with the team at TC Electronic. So they know a thing or two about DSP development.
From the looks of it, they're well on their way.
exactly...A DAW with stock TC Electronic effects; plugin versions of Behringer synths, bundled for free subsidized by Behringer hardware purchases, is a relatively high value added proposition...I don't know why people would think this couldn't carve out sustainable market share

And if I'm not mistaken, Behringer already dipped their toes in this strategy with Energy XT, so they have the lessons learned from that
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:35 pm
I suspect there is more going on than chip shortage...

I don't see a reason for this... their chips are the heart and soul of their analog synths... and of course analog mono-synthesizers need a lot less chips than are required for polyphonic ones*, so if anything, that observation of yours is just more evidence for their chip-shortage...

*for a fully polyphonic synth one of each, depending on the archtecture (e.g. osc1&2, vol VCA, Filter, Filter VCA, you name it...)

If I remember correctly, they were talking about 18 months before release in 2019. That obviously slipped a bit, but I hadn't seen that announcement. The pictures don't reveal much about the DAW. I'll be interested to see it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”