Arturia V Collection 8 Stupidly Cheap Offer

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Korg Supporter
KVRist
153 posts since 4 Oct, 2016

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:09 am

Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:10 am Just checked, I got it too.
Even if V9 is coming, which I'm almost 100% positive it is, for someone who ONLY owns Pigments this is an absolutely unbelievable offer.
Thank you bones, I would of never seen this.
The offer is $99 because I own V Collection 5

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13713 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:58 am

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:52 pm
BONES wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:58 pmWhat I meant was that I'd wait to upgrade to v9 until v10 was imminent. So I'd stay one gen behind but pay a tiny fraction of full price. Anything else is just throwing money away.
…but when you get there, you’d be a mug not to wait for v11…
No, not if you have V8. If you want to stay updated with Arturia then you don't want to fall behind based on their strategy over the past few years. If you don't keep up, then your offers will not be as low and will be fewer and further between. So, BONES is right here, the best time to upgrade to V9 from V8 is right before V10 comes out.

Anyone who has not kept up knows that you aren't going to get the best offers, this is intentional by Arturia. They changed their strategy sometime after V6 such that those who are further behind don't get the same offer as someone who is is up to date on the last version.

Now, I don't care, I use the same algorithm with all vendors for every upgrade. I'm not just going to upgrade to keep up, I only upgrade if the asking price is equal to or less than the value that I put on the products that I want to use. I also need at least one product that I really want to use and that's why I'm still on V6.

So, for me, it's unlikely that I will upgrade to V9, even if there is a synth that I really want to use, because their strategy means that my price will be far higher than the value that I will place on any new products in V9. Had they kept their old strategy then there is some chance that I would have bit on a $149 upgrade offer. However, now that I've seen that they are willing to eventually offer the upgrade for $99, they will need a very compelling synth in V9 for me to upgrade at $149, a price that I doubt they will offer to those of us on older versions.

felis
KVRian
945 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:51 am

syntonica wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:33 am I'm still on v6 and just got the $99 offer. Until they smallify their absurd resource usage, I'm going to have to pass, as much as I might enjoy the revamped Jupiter and the other additions.
For me, their stuff takes up more space, but it doesn't hit my cpu useage as hard as things like the new Korg softsynths and Massive X - to name a few.
Dropouts bother me more than taking up space.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9609 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:18 am

syntonica wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:33 am I'm still on v6 and just got the $99 offer. Until they smallify their absurd resource usage, I'm going to have to pass, as much as I might enjoy the revamped Jupiter and the other additions.
Good for you. I wish I had your strength in that regard!

I hate the Arturia GUI resource usage, slow load times on Windows (I know, not everyone has this problem - I do), and absurdly long automation parameter lists because they've decided to map out every possible MIDI control parameter across every channel or whatever (do we need 2,000 plus automation parameters for the Juno-60 chorus?). But I still buy the occasional Arturia plugin.

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
3842 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:50 pm

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:58 am No, not if you have V8. If you want to stay updated with Arturia then you don't want to fall behind based on their strategy over the past few years. If you don't keep up, then your offers will not be as low and will be fewer and further between. So, BONES is right here, the best time to upgrade to V9 from V8 is right before V10 comes out.
Honestly don't follow that. People with v5 are getting the same upgrade offer as those with v8, right? Not sure before v5, but essentially if a v5 owner skipped everything until now they'd get more new stuff for $99 bucks than a v6 owner.

Every version you hold out you get a better deal, until you are 85 years old and can't remember how to turn on the computer any more. At some point you might actually want to make some music with these new-fangled synths.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2021 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 12
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13713 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:09 pm

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:50 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:58 am No, not if you have V8. If you want to stay updated with Arturia then you don't want to fall behind based on their strategy over the past few years. If you don't keep up, then your offers will not be as low and will be fewer and further between. So, BONES is right here, the best time to upgrade to V9 from V8 is right before V10 comes out.
Honestly don't follow that. People with v5 are getting the same upgrade offer as those with v8, right? Not sure before v5, but essentially if a v5 owner skipped everything until now they'd get more new stuff for $99 bucks than a v6 owner.
IIRC, this is a rare occurrence. If this repeats, then yes, you are better off financially to wait even longer, modulo, the cost to you of not having the product. They used to make this $99 offer about once a year and the upgrade price was the same for everyone. That's not true anymore. So, to do what you suggests relies on the fact that this will repeat.

So, again, if you want to stay updated, and don't want to miss out, then the best time to upgrade version X is right before version X+1 comes out. This way you're always behind by only a year or two and you will always consistently get Artuira's best offer.

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
3842 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:18 pm

My own recollection is that this has happened before - maybe once or twice a year. IIRC it’s nearly a year til the first discounts, then after nearly 2 you get the really deep discounts. And pretty certain it happens for more than just the previous version or two. Maybe someone out there has a spreadsheet?!

But sure, things can always change. There’s no guarantee v9’s deepest discount will be $99 in 2 years’ time. There’s no guarantee there will BE a v9.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2021 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 12
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

tactile_coast
KVRist
136 posts since 14 Nov, 2020

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:34 pm

syntonica wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:33 am Until they smallify their absurd resource usage,
What absurd resource usage?
I got suckered in through the 'too good to turn down' loyalty deals and now own all their bundles plus a fair chunk of sample heavy expansion packs. The whole thing weighs in at around 22gb which is about $2 worth of storage at todays prices.

syntonica
KVRian
1374 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:43 pm

tactile_coast wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:34 pm
syntonica wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:33 am Until they smallify their absurd resource usage,
What absurd resource usage?
I got suckered in through the 'too good to turn down' loyalty deals and now own all their bundles plus a fair chunk of sample heavy expansion packs. The whole thing weighs in at around 22gb which is about $2 worth of storage at todays prices.
1Gb per plugin is a bit extreme. If they pooled the graphical resources, they could cut way down on disk space consumption. That, or do more vectored drawing vs bitmapping.

Also, for whatever reason, their plugins are extremely slow to load and slow to change patches. This is in comparison to Omnisphere with 300Mb sample loads!

I do really like their plugins and find them a terrific deal, but they should spend some time cleaning this up over pumping out more synths.

syntonica
KVRian
1374 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:48 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:18 am Good for you. I wish I had your strength in that regard!
It's not strength, but poverty... :oops:

I'm getting ready to buy either an MPC or a Maschine+ here. I swear, this will be my last hardware purchase EVAR! Imma wanna take it with me to the grave... :tu:

zzz00m
KVRAF
3140 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:18 pm

syntonica wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:33 am Until they smallify their absurd resource usage, I'm going to have to pass
Compared to the 200GB of sample content for IK Syntronik 2 MAX, the 16.6GB of content, excluding any samples, used by my Arturia V Collection 8 is much smaller, considering the 28 instruments covered. Nice advantage of modeled synths!

The Mellotron V and Vocoder V are the only Arturia instruments with any significant sample content of 1.6GB and 1.1GB, respectively. The CMI V, Emulator II V, and Synclavier V use 477MB, 335MB, and 147MB, respectively.

My current install of IK Syntronik 1 Deluxe uses 73.66GB of disk space for samples for 23 instruments. But that's to be expected with fully multi-sampled emulations.
Windows10; AAS, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cherry, IKM, Intermorphic, iZotope, Indiginus, Kilohearts, KORG, KV331, Melda, NI, Orange Tree, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Spitfire, Surge, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, Vital, Waves

mixyguy2
KVRist
321 posts since 2 Mar, 2018

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:05 pm

eh, I'm chugging along just fine with v2 and I don't have hundreds of $ I can throw at every shiny new synth (or group of synths) that comes along, even if it's steeply discounted and good stuff. I have more synths than I know what to do with as it is. If anything i want to start getting rid of some tbh.

MilesParker
KVRist
53 posts since 5 Jan, 2022

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:16 pm

I don't currently own any Arturia products. Almost bought Pigments a month ago for $99 ... wish I had as both for $249 would be a crazy good bundle. But too cheap to spring for both now. I wonder if there is any other way to get this deal.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
Topic Starter
13374 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:55 pm

Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:10 amThank you bones, I would of never seen this.
My pleasure. When I saw it in my Junk folder, I almost shit myself, both at the price and the fact it was already a week old. I was surprised I hadn't seen anything about it here so I figured everyone needed to know.
ghettosynth wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:58 amAnyone who has not kept up knows that you aren't going to get the best offers, this is intentional by Arturia. They changed their strategy sometime after V6 such that those who are further behind don't get the same offer as someone who is is up to date on the last version.
To be fair, that's a pretty standard thing, e.g. If you want to upgrade to Cubase 12 from v10, it will cost you more than from v11. It's just the way it goes and it rewards people who support the product.
Now, I don't care, I use the same algorithm with all vendors for every upgrade. I'm not just going to upgrade to keep up, I only upgrade if the asking price is equal to or less than the value that I put on the products that I want to use. I also need at least one product that I really want to use and that's why I'm still on V6.
That's just common sense. I'd be very surprised if Arturia ever got me to upgrade my V Collection. I only installed about half of them last night, there is already a lot of chaff in there, and I can't see there being much they could add that might tempt me. I'd be more likely to be tempted by upgrades to existing instruments.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win11(64), UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, GR-8, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Olga, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, Thorn, Odyssey, Equator, VG Iron | Uno Pro, Uno, Rocket.

jdoo
KVRian
613 posts since 23 Dec, 2011

Post Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:36 pm

I did the Sept 21 upgrade for $149. At that time, I moved up from VC6. The deal then was VC8 + SQ80 + a couple of Arturia banks. SQ80 is great (not part of VC8 I don’t believe). When Arturia updates the CS-80 and ARP2600 V.. i’ll be keen to hear how they sound, as the JUP-8V update was significant, sonically.

Return to “Instruments”