One Synth Challenge #158: Surrealistic MG-1 Plus by Cherry Audio (MilksterX Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surrealistic MG-1 Plus Synthesizer

diaseis wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:44 pm In fewer words : negative criticism just corners me. I don't know how to improve and if someone tries to tell me how they would have done it to make it better, I just feel that it wouldn't be my music anymore. On the contrary, if someone points at something they like, I'll try to push in that direction : because it would be "mine" so I can just push further my own stuff, by focusing on the things that do work.

In even fewer words : I post only positive comments. That's a choice and I believe it makes sense. :)

Could not have said it better. I do understand where your post comes from (Btw, I rarely ever comment on any of the OSC track).

FWIW, many of the osc tracks of mine (from the past) which did not get any glowing tributes in the comments section (or in terms of OSC rankings, which often hovers in the vicinity of the bottom quarter of the participants) ended up as some of the most played tracks of mine in majority of digital platforms (be it Spotify/YouTube/ or any such medium) with 100s of likes and plenty of positive word of mouth comments.

What I would suggest to (new) OSC participants is don’t get discouraged by negative comments or low ranking points at the end of the competition.

Remember, there’s a bigger world (audience) beyond those who comments or gives points in the OSC, whose tastes my might match with yours.

My main motivation to be part of OSC is to Just enjoy the experience of creating something original with pre-determined limitations (of me as a hobbyist and the competition) and deadlines. (Positive comments and better rankings are nice to have bonuses which are beyond my control)

Cheers!

baalisoda wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:18 pm
My main motivation to be part of OSC is to Just enjoy the experience of creating something original with pre-determined limitations (of me as a hobbyist and the competition) and deadlines. (Positive comments and better rankings are nice to have bonuses which are beyond my control)

Cheers!
I recall that you scored not great for cheese machine2 and I really liked your track. This is just one group ultimately and not generalizable to the rest of the world.

As a first timer here I'm anticipating a few negative comments. I personally feel it's good to get beyond the friends and family circle and get opinions from folks who don't know me. I fully intend to stick around for the next challenge so hopefully I get some useful advice this time round. As baalisoda said above, I'm doing this for the experience rather than the ranking.

Okay stupid question ...

Redacted because I’m an idiot
I like E-Dm but I like music with other chords too

Madmac66 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:39 am Okay stupid question ...

You're new. Please feel free to ask questions. You can ask via pm if you prefer.

violator_alba wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:21 pm I fully intend to stick around for the next challenge so hopefully I get some useful advice this time round. As baalisoda said above, I'm doing this for the experience rather than the ranking.
Welcome, and yes do stick around. We all do it for the learning experience and also as a impetus to actually get something finished, even in a short timescale. The prizes for a top 5 finish are just an added incentive/bonus. FYI, I nearly always finish about half way! When I rise above that I know I am doing something right and more to the liking of the voting members.

I have learnt a lot from the comments/critiques of the more experienced musicians/engineers over time. Simply invaluable because the information has been completely in context.

Cheers,

dB

There's no such thing as a stupid/difficult questions. Only ones that you don't know the answer to!

If you have technical questions, or stuff about music Theory, chord progressions, sound design in general, just ask away ... people will also engage via PM as well, reviewing, re-mixing tracks sent over etc to help out.

dB

I have voted.

Voted !

Same here, voted

doctorbob wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:43 am There's no such thing as a stupid/difficult questions. Only ones that you don't know the answer to!
I learned the same concept with this way:
"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Just an alternate way of thinking about it! :tu:

WTF?!? I just logged on to onesynthchallenge.com - 70 entries!? :phew:
Hahaha I'm sure there's plenty of gems I haven't listened to properly yet, I've been mostly skimming through giving some likes here and there on Soundcloud.
Glad there's 12 days left to listen and vote. :tu:
Fusion

zipidowski wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:27 pm Same here, voted
Are we supposed to announce when we've voted? Sorry if I missed that.

I've voted--but expect to revisit occasionally til the 15th.

empphryio wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:58 am

You're new. Please feel free to ask questions. You can ask via pm if you prefer.
I may be new but my question was REALLY REALLY stupid, like I just had to open my eyes to find the answer. Case of my fingers being two steps ahead of my brain :)

Thanks
I like E-Dm but I like music with other chords too

Rahodees wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm Are we supposed to announce when we've voted? Sorry if I missed that.
For participants, yes, though in this case I'm not actually sure what the purpose of the rule is. You can continue to adjust your scores up to the deadline, if you like.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Return to “Instruments”