Multiple instances of the same note with full MPE Control

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is Driving me crazy.

I cannot get Multiple instances of the same note with full MPE Control in Ableton or Bitwig

Am i just missing a setting? I somewhat expect this from Ableton because it its weird MPE Implementation, but definitely not Bitwig

repeated instances of a note seem to be completely overriden by the new instance of the same note

I have no problem with mainstage/logic and My various iOS sounds for example Geoshred and Animoog.
Thanks in advance

In Bitwig you need to set in the channel inspector Midi channel All>Same. I have no idea why the default is All>1… And in the instrument inspector MPE needs to be activated of course, or the pitch bends and expressions won‘t get through…
I can‘t talk about Live, as I am still on Live 10, but the talking about it, I recall is, that Lives MPE implementation is suboptimal… Btw. Bitwig needed also some iterations to get it right…

Hi mirrorlover,

Do the instructions on my site's "Free Bitwig 8-Track" page not work for you?

I figured it out. I had a Setting called "steal same key" activated (probably due to me just messing around) in the device inspector. I turned it off and everything works as it should.

Side note: your Bitwig support page is a little out out date
1. The inspector panel is now on the left for whatever reason.
2. I did not see a button to turn on MPE in the Device inspector.

Thanks for the quick replies. It's nice to know that theres a community that cares for this fantastic piece of equipment.

Just kidding the enable MPE button is there

I'm glad it's working for you now.

Mirrorlover wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:55 pm I figured it out. I had a Setting called "steal same key" activated (probably due to me just messing around) in the device inspector. I turned it off and everything works as it should.
Ah, this was what I was looking for today. I you do not deactivate "Steal same key", you will get problems even if you are not trying to play two of the same notes.
Random notes not playing was driving me nuts, but this solved the problem. (With "Steal same key" ON: If you play an E an glide up to F, then play the E with another finger, if the new E is triggered a fraction before the held F is ended, the new E will not play.)

I think it deserves to be included in the Bitwig/Linnstrument how-to guide.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've just updated the Bitwig page to reflect the above comments.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”