Pro Tools is Now Subscription Only

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro Tools Artist Pro Tools Flex Pro Tools Intro Pro Tools Studio Pro Tools Ultimate

Trensharo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:25 amI think Media Composer is a good example of just how strong Avid is in their primary (target) market segments. Almost no one outside of Broadcast and Box Office uses Media Composer, yet it is still a very profitable venture for them. Pro Tools is similar.
I'd be really curious to know the Media Composer numbers. 15 years ago every project I dubbed originated from Media Composer. Now it's very common to edit on other platforms. Some still use it, but as a proportion it feels dramatically less. The integration between Premiere and After Effects in particular made people jump.

I actually think Pro Tools has held its market more than MC, among pro studios and post-production.

Chris Bové from Avid posted this yesterday on the DUC:
On April 26, 2022, Avid stopped selling new perpetual licenses for Pro Tools. However, if you currently own a perpetual license, then your license is not affected by this. Not at all.

Owning a perpetual license means exactly that – you own it. We take that very seriously. Your Pro Tools perpetual license is yours in perpetuity. Avid is not secretly changing it to a subscription, nor “coming to take away your license”, nor hindering you from accessing your perpetual license in any way.

In addition, Avid did not stop supporting existing perpetual licenses. Support for your license did not stop, and is continuing.
I think that's a clear effort to calm the horses, trying to keep the pro customers from jumping ship. Of course, Avid have moved the goalposts many times (not always negatively in fact). I think it might have some effect though, reassuring that for the existing customer base things will carry on for them as before.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:55 am Chris Bové from Avid posted this yesterday on the DUC:
On April 26, 2022, Avid stopped selling new perpetual licenses for Pro Tools. However, if you currently own a perpetual license, then your license is not affected by this. Not at all.

Owning a perpetual license means exactly that – you own it. We take that very seriously. Your Pro Tools perpetual license is yours in perpetuity. Avid is not secretly changing it to a subscription, nor “coming to take away your license”, nor hindering you from accessing your perpetual license in any way.

In addition, Avid did not stop supporting existing perpetual licenses. Support for your license did not stop, and is continuing.
I think that's a clear effort to calm the horses, trying to keep the pro customers from jumping ship. Of course, Avid have moved the goalposts many times (not always negatively in fact). I think it might have some effect though, reassuring that for the existing customer base things will carry on for them as before.
How does that calm anyone? He wrote: "Your Pro Tools perpetual license is yours in perpetuity. Avid is not secretly changing it to a subscription, nor “coming to take away your license”, nor hindering you from accessing your perpetual license in any way"...

Wow... How generous. How could they do otherwise? They sold a perpetual license. They couldn't legaly change it, and/or tunr it into something else, witout breaking the license terms, which is illegal.

He also wrote: "In addition, Avid did not stop supporting existing perpetual licenses. Support for your license did not stop, and is continuing." Is continuing for HOW LONG? And what abot new features? And future OS versions which would require some code rewriting? If I was an owner, of a current perpetual license I wouldn't be very calm about this.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:20 pm And what abot new features? And future OS versions which would require some code rewriting? If I was an owner, of a current perpetual license I wouldn't be very calm about this.
Same as always. As long as you pay for the yearly update and support plan fee.And if you stop paying, you keep the latest version you have. No chance to restart it unless Avid issues reinstatement codes. Otherwise you have to switch to sub to get the future versions.

ozinga wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:14 pm
fmr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:20 pm And what abot new features? And future OS versions which would require some code rewriting? If I was an owner, of a current perpetual license I wouldn't be very calm about this.
Same as always. As long as you pay for the yearly update and support plan fee.And if you stop paying, you keep the latest version you have. No chance to restart it unless Avid issues reinstatement codes. Otherwise you have to switch to sub to get the future versions.
So, what's the difference between that and a subscription? Once you let one payment pass, it's game over...
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:05 pm
So, what's the difference between that and a subscription? Once you let one payment pass, it's game over...
Cheaper yearly payments and if you cancel you keep using the latest version you got.
When you cancel subscription you can not use the software at all. (Only can return to use the latest perpetual version, if you have one that is)

andypryce wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:40 pm
fmr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:05 pm
Cheaper yearly payments and if you cancel you keep using the latest version you got.
When you cancel subscription you can not use the software at all. (Only can return to use the latest perpetual version, if you have one that is)
That is correct. Now the bad thing is no more perpetual license. So If you want to get into Protools system you need to sub and the moment you cancel you are left with nothing.

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:55 am
Trensharo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:25 amI think Media Composer is a good example of just how strong Avid is in their primary (target) market segments. Almost no one outside of Broadcast and Box Office uses Media Composer, yet it is still a very profitable venture for them. Pro Tools is similar.
I'd be really curious to know the Media Composer numbers. 15 years ago every project I dubbed originated from Media Composer. Now it's very common to edit on other platforms. Some still use it, but as a proportion it feels dramatically less. The integration between Premiere and After Effects in particular made people jump.

I actually think Pro Tools has held its market more than MC, among pro studios and post-production.

Chris Bové from Avid posted this yesterday on the DUC:

Lol. No. Media Composer is basically Video Editing Photoshop. Again, Premiere Pro predominates in market segments Avid literally ignores. Where Media Composer is predominant, its stranglehold is even stronger than Pro Tools in studios because no other competitors are competitive with them in multiple niches.

Have you ever used Adobe's collaboration services and compared with Avid's, or had to deal with how fragile premiere pro becomes with feature film-level projects?

Media Composer is the most stable video editor i have ever seem. It's practically an enterprise software application. Premiere Pro is anything but.

I actually think Resolve Studio may evolve to challenge Media Composer on its home turf moreso that. Premiere Pro does.

Media Composers dominance has quite a bit to do with Pro Tool's dominance in the post market. There are several legitimate options for audio post out there. There is only one media composer, and the two work very well together, so it was a natural progression.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

So what do you bet that existing perpetual licenses won't cover native Apple Silicon versions, if and when they eventually come?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

As I understood, you could prolong perpetual licenses with a support plan now. (But only if they are not too old as the upgradability is limited…)
I think they don‘t want to deal with small studios and artists anymore.
My advice, get Reaper and that ProTools skin. Way cheaper, more flexible and does what its supposed to do. If you need a big studio, they can run Reaper as well… Maybe Nuendo takes over Digidesigns market share…

I just checked out Reaper's Pro Tools theme. LOL!
Which is which? :shock:

Fun stuff! :party:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Trensharo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:01 pmLol. No. Media Composer is basically Video Editing Photoshop. Again, Premiere Pro predominates in market segments Avid literally ignores. Where Media Composer is predominant, its stranglehold is even stronger than Pro Tools in studios because no other competitors are competitive with them in multiple niches.

Have you ever used Adobe's collaboration services and compared with Avid's, or had to deal with how fragile premiere pro becomes with feature film-level projects?

Media Composer is the most stable video editor i have ever seem. It's practically an enterprise software application. Premiere Pro is anything but.
All I know is in TV Premiere Pro is now very common. And a quick search online shows it's not uncommon in features too (just noticed Everything Everywhere was Premiere).

On one show I worked on the director estimated they halved their edit time in Premiere for season two (Season One was on Avid).

I don't use either, no skin in the game, just reporting what I hear and see.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

fmr wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:20 pmWow... How generous. How could they do otherwise? They sold a perpetual license. They couldn't legaly change it, and/or tunr it into something else, witout breaking the license terms, which is illegal.

He also wrote: "In addition, Avid did not stop supporting existing perpetual licenses. Support for your license did not stop, and is continuing." Is continuing for HOW LONG? And what abot new features? And future OS versions which would require some code rewriting? If I was an owner, of a current perpetual license I wouldn't be very calm about this.
The real point is not that they take away an existing license (which they can't do), is that they are encouraging users to get the latest version with it. It's totally contradictory to their new users being subs-only, and says how important perpetual is to the pro market imo. It's a very weird path they are treading.

All the while the current situation continues (which, according to Chris, will be a long time), nothing changes for existing perpetual users in practice. They can always stay current with OS and feature updates.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

The one studio I know that uses Pro Tools hasn't updated in a very, very long time. It works as is just fine. Gold records on the wall.

BTW, you can get a Pro Tools skin for Logic as well. https://logicproxthemes.blogspot.com/

jonljacobi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:20 pm The one studio I know that uses Pro Tools hasn't updated in a very, very long time. It works as is just fine. Gold records on the wall.
Yes this is pretty common. Pro studios and Post facilities are much more concerned about reliability that the latest version.

I've found it does have its limits. I know a lot of facilities stayed on HD10 for many many years because they needed the TDM infrastructure. Eventually some of them did migrate to a newer version though.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”