switch from studio one to cubase 12

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Voltage Modular can also modulate plugin parameters, tested....

voltage-modular.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Remember what Chuck Berry said in that song of his? no neither do I, but it went something like this.

Studio One am da king
Cubase sucks my dingaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI
Say NO to CLAP!

No need to switch daw to get more midi options - look at Insert Piz midi plugins
https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads

I use the generic gui versions pizmidi prefix and make a series of knobs in StudioOne or most daws. I think Reaper do sliders instead.

You route it like another instrument and there is a range of very useful plugins there.
I use them as is in daw, I use in hosting plugins like Bluecat Audio Patchwork, and guess the mentioned Mulab would work too.

I have one preset in patchwork with 4-5 Piz plugins and a couple of hosts to get a brass section among other things. Incredibly useful.

Have fun....

Nevertheless I wonder why the "normal" DAWs are so restricted in terms of midi plugins respectively the use of 3rd party ones...

I mean Reason with their player devices, Ableton with their stock and M4l devices and the latest Bitwig additions showcase how incredible powerful this stuff is and with a good developer very easy to use for anybody...

But the "major" platforms ...they give a shit on this and continue with their incredible cumbersome routing workarounds which give mostly more trouble than that they actually add some benefit...

lfm wrote: โ†‘Sun May 01, 2022 9:59 am No need to switch daw to get more midi options - look at Insert Piz midi plugins
https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads

I use the generic gui versions pizmidi prefix and make a series of knobs in StudioOne or most daws. I think Reaper do sliders instead.

You route it like another instrument and there is a range of very useful plugins there.
I use them as is in daw, I use in hosting plugins like Bluecat Audio Patchwork, and guess the mentioned Mulab would work too.

I have one preset in patchwork with 4-5 Piz plugins and a couple of hosts to get a brass section among other things. Incredibly useful.

Have fun....
yes, they are great! love especially the audio to cc envelope. have to play alittle mor with them.
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

Trancit wrote: โ†‘Sun May 01, 2022 10:38 am Nevertheless I wonder why the "normal" DAWs are so restricted in terms of midi plugins respectively the use of 3rd party ones...

But the "major" platforms ...they give a shit on this and continue with their incredible cumbersome routing workarounds which give mostly more trouble than that they actually add some benefit...
Yes, a mystery it is.

I talked to Waves some years ago if they were to make midi plugin bundle of some sort, but no.

Cakewalk/Sonar with MFX midi plugins(DirectX based) are probably most spread to extend the daw default ones.

Cubase has just a few default, and I've seen a handful from one 3rd party that did not extend very much at all.

Studio One is only Vst midi stuff with routing like many instruments allow. There is something in the multi instrument stuff, but so basic it does not count.

Best daw I've seen so far regarding routing VST instruments would be Acoustica Mixcraft. Incredibly cool and easy to use. Just load as many uinstruments as you please after each other, like daw usually do effect plugins. You can set limited keyboard range for each and stuff. Just that I did not feel Mixcraft could replace Sonar at all on the total. It was Mixcraft 7 I tried a bit.

But scripting in Reaper allow for many things, for sure. Probably most versatile in this regard to make own midi plugins. But have not seen a full range like Piz Midi offers yet.

another question:
in logic pro i can connect as many plugins i want to the same midi file, all playing the same.
just a cabel in environment.
in studio one i have to setup a duplicate midi file.
is there a workaround?
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

greententacle wrote: โ†‘Sun May 01, 2022 11:41 am another question:
in logic pro i can connect as many plugins i want to the same midi file, all playing the same.
is there a workaround?
What you could look for is virtual midi ports offered by some midi interfaces. IConnectivity is one brand that do that. There are separate virtual midi port solutions too. I think my Mio2 has 10 virtual ports capability apart from 2 in/out physical ones.

Then a midi out to virtual port from midi file, then input from that virtual midi cable can be duplicated to as many midi tracks as you please, each hosting another instrument.

I left StudioOne at v4.6, so don't know if they offer like Cubase midi sends which is very useful.

But StudioOne is a bit odd in how you must setup each midi port as keyboard or instrument and such. Most daws just list midi ports and you use as required.

aahh cool. so its possible native in cubase?
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

is there a workaround?
Not exactly the same, but you could use multi instruments.

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/B ... uments.htm

Just drag another instrument on the same track, then you are asked if you want to replace or combine. Choose โ€žcombineโ€œ and there you go.

greententacle wrote: โ†‘Sun May 01, 2022 11:54 am aahh cool. so its possible native in cubase?
Yes.

ok. another reason for cubase.
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

Crossinger wrote: โ†‘Sun May 01, 2022 11:54 am
is there a workaround?
Not exactly the same, but you could use multi instruments.

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/B ... uments.htm

Just drag another instrument on the same track, then you are asked if you want to replace or combine. Choose โ€žcombineโ€œ and there you go.
thats nice, thanks
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

i have alot insert plugins triggered by midi files.
in s1 i have to make a midi duplicate just for trigger.
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ

Just check out version you buy so this midi send might be stripped if Artist version or something. If you go Pro you are safe.

I think manual used to be for both Artist and Pro, and a remark on this feature would be there saying Pro only or similar.

Cubase is good, I just left at 9.5 due to new video engine was so heavy on cpu it was unusable. Both StudioOne and Cakewalk/Sonar was like 1/3 to run the same project.

Return to โ€œHosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)โ€