One Synth Challenge #159: Surge XT

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
baconpaul
KVRist
496 posts since 25 Dec, 2018

Post Thu May 05, 2022 5:13 am

diaseis wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:35 am
baconpaul wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:44 am If you are using the FX plugin and are also using Nimbus (mutable clouds), let me strongly encourage you to run the nightly. I fixed a bug in our nimbus resampler which was an occasional problem in the synth but a bigger one in the FX plugin
I tried to use the nightly version. Aside from the fact that I'd really like the installer to ask me where to put the waveform folder (as my SSD drive for windows is small and I don't want to clutter it), each time I change from one effect to another in Surge XT Effects, it crashes Ableton Live 10 :? .
excellent bug report. This is related to us re-working some of our VST3 parameter labels in this install, and bug crept in. Along the way i found out we had never streamed the deactivated state properly. So all fixed and PR is in. Should be in a nightly by lunchtime NYC latest. Thank you.

The 'where to install stuff' is a hard problem. you can move it all after the fact as long as you don't use FL, though, or solve the problem with links. hit us up (well really hit evil up - i use a mac) here or on discord if you get stuck.

baconpaul
KVRist

Post Thu May 05, 2022 5:14 am

SeBaer wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:55 am
zarf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:45 am RULES question: Must I use current surgeXT, or are earlier Surge VST allowed (say 1.6)?
I have some work in progress from earlier unsubmitted attempts and not sure if can use it without converting to new version?

Thanks!
Earlier versions of a plugin should be no problem under the rules, in my opinion. Also, I recall the Surge-Synth-Team stating, that Surge-XT is patch-compatible to Surge 1.x
it is upstream compatible; so surge xt will load patches from 1.6. obviously its not that compatible the other way; 1.6 loading an xt patch would be missing a bunch.

XT is different than the 1.x family in that all the automation parameters got different ids, which is also why we gave it a separate plugin id. Otherwise the code is a pretty straight line from open source day to the nightly.

diaseis
KVRist
90 posts since 16 Jul, 2019

Post Thu May 05, 2022 5:16 am

baconpaul wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:13 am excellent bug report. This is related to us re-working some of our VST3 parameter labels in this install, and bug crept in. Along the way i found out we had never streamed the deactivated state properly. So all fixed and PR is in. Should be in a nightly by lunchtime NYC latest. Thank you.

The 'where to install stuff' is a hard problem. you can move it all after the fact as long as you don't use FL, though, or solve the problem with links. hit us up (well really hit evil up - i use a mac) here or on discord if you get stuck.
Thanks a lot ! I'll try it later, I'll let you know !

Also let me say that now I have tried it more (I used to use Surge a couple of years ago), this synth is purely amazing (and the workflow considerably better, the modulation section rework is awesome). Congrats !

zarf
KVRian
604 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Post Thu May 05, 2022 6:00 am

Thanks for all the info SeBaer, Richard, baconpaul - much appreciated.
Sadly I never save presets just use Ableton to save with the project, so there would be a job to transfer them - but great to know I can, and also that I can use the older version too if I wish.
Cheers all enjoy your music making :tu:

gorgorgathgorgorgor
KVRian
548 posts since 19 Jan, 2011 from Texas

Post Fri May 06, 2022 6:51 pm

Surge looks to be a beast. I shall attempt to wrangle it though. downloading now. I wonder if it will play nice in VCV Host...

EvilDragon
KVRAF
22418 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat May 07, 2022 1:57 am

It should be just fine in VCV Host.

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
7082 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sat May 07, 2022 11:10 am

I tried the Clap version of the nightly in Bitwig 4.2.4, but the most important feature does not work. MPE seems broken. It seems I have to fall back to VST3…

baconpaul
KVRist

Post Sat May 07, 2022 11:36 am

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:10 am I tried the Clap version of the nightly in Bitwig 4.2.4, but the most important feature does not work. MPE seems broken. It seems I have to fall back to VST3…
Yeah you had reported this earlier and I noted it on our todos. If you use the clap mpe using note expressions it won’t work yet. If you make it and use transparent midi it will. I’m working on note expressions and poly mod this weekend with the bws team so stay tuned.

crickey13
KVRian
780 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Sun May 08, 2022 10:31 pm

Which DAWs are already CLAP-compatible BTW?

1234Hi5!
KVRer
10 posts since 30 Jul, 2020

Post Mon May 09, 2022 4:10 am

anyone know how to get surge xt to work with Bitwig micro-pitch device - thought I'd have a play with it if I could get it to work

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Mon May 09, 2022 4:50 am

crickey13 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:31 pm Which DAWs are already CLAP-compatible BTW?
Basically just Bitwig at this point.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 am

1234Hi5! wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:10 am anyone know how to get surge xt to work with Bitwig micro-pitch device - thought I'd have a play with it if I could get it to work
Enable MPE in Surge, that should work.

] Peter:H [
KVRAF
1561 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Mon May 09, 2022 10:47 am

Just a Preview ...
At the risk of not passing the chords/composition police ... I go full 111,5% hardstyle. I will nuke your speakers, no prisoners, no mercy... This is just a preview. Mixing not 111,5% perfect though I did a really good job already...
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/c-u- ... gn=asocial

Surge XT Team ... seriously ... are you freaking kidding me ... :clap:

rilderec
KVRer
10 posts since 22 Mar, 2022 from France, Limousin

Post Tue May 10, 2022 8:57 am

Hello,

There are a lot of presets, it would be nice to put them in favorites with several hearts (or stars) in a future version.
I also noticed that we could not navigate in our favorite presets, because once a favorite preset is selected, I cannot go on the one that is after (or before) in my favorite list, only in the one that is after in the original preset list.

baconpaul
KVRist

Post Tue May 10, 2022 9:56 am

rilderec wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:57 am Hello,

There are a lot of presets, it would be nice to put them in favorites with several hearts (or stars) in a future version.
I also noticed that we could not navigate in our favorite presets, because once a favorite preset is selected, I cannot go on the one that is after (or before) in my favorite list, only in the one that is after in the original preset list.
We thought about 1-5 stars vs single heart and weren't sure it was useful. But are still figuring out what users do with the favorites feature.

But you are right favorites aren't a 'category' in the navigation sense. They do appear in the menus as such and as a rmb menu on the heart. This is a good suggestion though and one we will definitely remember when we re-re-work patch browsing in a future release, thank you!

Return to “Instruments”