One Synth Challenge #159: Surge XT (j5v Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... -159-surge

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #159! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Special Note:
(Extended voting over!) A track slipped through the cracks last month, by Abstract Egg. Voting has been extended 3 days. Voting on this track is optional, but encouraged! More info here

One of the best open source synths. "Featuring many synthesis techniques, a great selection of filters, a flexible modulation engine, a smorgasbord of effects, and modern features like MPE and microtuning."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvBgb4HGx0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-mKySh ... =emb_title

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact RichardSemper via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

NEW Additional Bonus Prize!
For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a cash bonus of $50. (note: this prize may be carried forward to selected OSC challenges until it is won)

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

ChordPak.com : 1x Pro Pack (Up to 3 winners may choose this)

United Audio Artists : Scratch Master Pro (2 may be chosen per month)

Yuli Yolo Sound Design : (Top 3 Winners get this) Soundsets for Vital: Diversity, Bass Music Wavetables, Noises & Exciters

Luftrum : Two Choices: Either 1x NFR software license of either Bioscape or Lunaris, or two soundsets of choice

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

SoundGym : *NEW* 12 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

Newloops.com : any 3 sound packs of choice (excluding bundles)

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice (except for the Future Chill and Space Trips expansions)

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions - Developers may be looking for artists to make music.
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing.
  • metapop - Has many competitions, with a soundcloud like interface where you can share, upload, get likes, comments, etc.
  • Mix Challenge - Join monthly recurring Songwriting Competitions (with a new theme/genre every month) and/or Mix(ing) Challenges (mixing multi-tracks from scratch). Win prizes!
  • Open Source Music Nexus Challenge - From the people who brought you the FM Challenge last year!
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
Last edited by bjporter on Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wahey! Glad to feature the results on our web page as we have done with the past. Xt101 is pretty rock solid but our nightly has a bunch of fun new features like editor undo if you want to beta 1.1 while also doing one synth challenge :)

i think a lot of us have been looking forward to this one! :)

perhaps i'll even double-beta and give the clap version a go, i see that's available now...

The clap only works in bitwig 4.2.3 or later but I think is pretty functional. If you want to self build with juce7 you can make lv2 most platforms also. If you wanna try any of these things probably best to join the surge discord though :)

Rules question, possible discussion: In Surge XT we can load basically any sound we want as a wavetable, right? Are there rules limiting the use of this feature? (I feel there ought to be.)

* double post :dog:
Last edited by J.Ruegg on Sun May 01, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahodees wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:55 pm Rules question, possible discussion: In Surge XT we can load basically any sound we want as a wavetable, right? Are there rules limiting the use of this feature? (I feel there ought to be.)
With wavetable synths usually you are free to import any wavetable you want as long as it's not exploited as a sample player. For example loading a drum sound, or a piano, and using it as a sample player.

Also, sometimes it got restricted to just 2 frames for custom wavetable imports, but I think that depends on the synth... Better to wait for official clarification.

J.Ruegg wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:14 pm
Rahodees wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:55 pm Rules question, possible discussion: In Surge XT we can load basically any sound we want as a wavetable, right? Are there rules limiting the use of this feature? (I feel there ought to be.)
With wavetable synths usually you are free to import any wavetable you want as long as it's not exploited as a sample player. For example loading a drum sound, or a piano, and using it as a sample player.
Hmm okay. I think I understand. To clarify (I'm new to all this), it'd also be using it as a sample player if I imported a recording of someone typing on a typewriter, leaves rustling, or if I imported a sound recorded from another synth right? So in other words, is the basic rule that any importat WT must not be recognizeable, nor originate prior to application of various FX, as a natural or manmade sound that could occur in the physical world?

J.Ruegg wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:16 pm

Also, sometimes it got restricted to just 2 frames for custom wavetable imports, but I think that depends on the synth... Better to wait for official clarification.
Does that mean, the WT was allowed to just have a starting and ending waveform, with anything in between being whatever the synth interpolates on its own? I'd be down with that.

Rahodees wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:16 pm
J.Ruegg wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:14 pm
Hmm okay. I think I understand. To clarify (I'm new to all this), it'd also be using it as a sample player if I imported a recording of someone typing on a typewriter, leaves rustling, or if I imported a sound recorded from another synth right? So in other words, is the basic rule that any importat WT must not be recognizeable, nor originate prior to application of various FX, as a natural or manmade sound that could occur in the physical world?
Exactly. And any tables you want to use need not be restricted to two frames. That's already been clarified not that long ago, during the WhispAir round.

Okay, I still don't like it but it is clear and I can understand why someone might make the rule that way.

(If it'd been me I would have written the rule to do more work to preserve "the synth's sound", and being too free to import external sounds messes with that too much for my total comfort. But that's just me!)

what about the presets included that have wavetables?

Ah, you're ruining my life by bringing up Surge... DANG IT! I really love this thing and missed last time it came around. :tantrum:
As for wavetables, I used them in the past to map wave segments across the keyboard. For example, I literally drew single wave loops by hand after a female vocal across the keyboard for each note (every 3rd, I think it was) and then had keytracking on the WT. Gorgeous stuff. Tedious, but great. Similar thing with violin and even piano, matching the characteristics of the notes as best as possible within a single wave of the respective frequency. Awwww, how dedicated I can get to this stuff. :wheee: ...don't remember, if Surge allows tracking by frequency rather than keys. I did that with MUX in MuLab. I think, it's even part of the factory presets since then, hehe.

Anyway, love Surge! Hope I'll find the time!

baconpaul wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:54 pm The clap only works in bitwig 4.2.3 or later but I think is pretty functional. If you want to self build with juce7 you can make lv2 most platforms also. If you wanna try any of these things probably best to join the surge discord though :)
yeah i'm lurking in there already :D got it up and running in bitwig now! seems smooth so far, i'll let you know if anything weird comes up.

(if anyone else wants to try this, you need to enable clap in bitwig by adding "clap : true" to the file config.json (create the file if it does not already exist) in your appdata/local/bitwig studio folder (or the equivalent location on your system). then add the clap folder to your plug-in locations, and bitwig should be able to find it.)

I might also have to make a reappearance here; Surge XT is too wonderful to pass up and it's been a little while since I've composed in the OSC mindset.

side note: if you're looking for sound ideas, several people shared their presets in the OSC 138 thread. You can also find some of my sounds in the "Rare Earth" patch bank that ships with the synth. Please don't be afraid to use them!
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Return to “Instruments”