VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
machinesworking
KVRAF
4378 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Fri May 13, 2022 1:07 pm

vertibration wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 am
arcadia1984 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:40 am
vertibration wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:31 am
arcadia1984 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:24 am Any opinions on how the new Prophet stacks against Repro?
Two different filters. So its the same as asking someone how a rev 2 compares to a rev 3. You will get all sorts of different answers.

I happen to like the Arturia version way better than Repro, based on UI and effects. Sound is subjective, they both sound awesome. I am a sucker for direct UI emulations, and I love that Arturia Prophet 5 looks just like a prophet 5. I also think Arturia has a much better preset system/store in place to download presets and buy them. I also like Arturias preset browser better as well.

Others will obviously disagree. Lots of people will prefer the Rev 3 sound over the Rev 2. I happen to think Arturias prophet 5 sounds really gritty and hits the low end quite well. Repro sounds a bit more polished for my ears without enabling its effects and I dont like that so much.
Thanks for the response, I've been using my u-he stuff less and less since the last batch of updates with V8, was wondering if the Prophet was up to task and it sounds like it'll fit my workflow and sound choices pretty well.

I do love how they manage presets, I've been an avid user since V5 and it's been nothing but steady improvements since 6 on or so. Tons of use out of the DX7 and the newer Jup-8, looks like I'll be upgrading soon then.
The VS is cool, I do think the MS-20 is awesome. I am still torn on the CS-80. I think its great, but I dont exactly like cluttered UI's.

The pendulum swings both ways when it comes to direct UI emulations. If the original synth had a great layout then it works, but if the original synth has an old or cluttered layout, a direct emulation of the UI will still be a pain in the ass to work with, that doesnt change.
That’s the beauty of resizable GUIs, I wouldn’t want to work with the CS80 with less than full screen size, but at that size it’s fine and nice to have everything in one panel.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9612 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Fri May 13, 2022 1:11 pm

I'm honestly a little appalled they kept the stupid "vents/fans" section at the top of the CS-80 GUI. That GUI has way too much sh*t happening already, which starts to adversely impact usability, then they go and dedicate a bunch of space to fans just to hide the trimmers? For f*ck's sake! Those pixels could've gone to making me able to make the GUI just a tiny bit larger to improve usability.

ValliSoftware
KVRist
241 posts since 11 May, 2014

Post Fri May 13, 2022 1:30 pm

Arturia_Software_Center__2_4_2_1926.pkg still requires Rosetta 2, why?

I finally figured out the licensing issue I had with Logic.

If I run your postinstall script by hand, everything is installed correctly now I don't have issues with license in Logic.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#

if [[ ( -n $USER ) && ( $USER != root ) ]]; then
    # installer launched with GUI: $USER is the actual logged in user, not root.
    INSTALLER_USER=${USER}
elif [[ ( -n $HOME ) ]]; then 
    # silent install, $USER is empty.
    # Since ASC 2.0.4, we pass the user's home as environment variable, and can deduce the user from it.
    # NB1: we can't pass any other env var to /usr/bin/installer, it looks like only HOME is transfered.
    # NB2: before ASC 2.0.4, we can't know the current user during a silent install.
    INSTALLER_USER=$(stat -f '%Su' $HOME)
fi

echo "1*"
#file permissions
# NB: on some weird installs, 'sudo' fails due to not having the permission to read /etc/sudoers.
# But, because the installer always runs as root, we don't need to use sudo here.
chmod -R 777 "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center"
chmod -R 777 "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/temp"
chmod -R 777 "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/resources"

touch "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/id.ascd" #create if doesn't exist
touch "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/lic.ascd" #create if doesn't exist

if [[ ! -e "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/user" ]]; then
    mkdir "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/user"
fi

echo "2*"
chmod -R 777 "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/user"

touch "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/user/asc.pref"
touch "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/user/updates_notif.json"

echo "3*"
chmod 666 "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/id.ascd"
chmod 666 "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/lic.ascd"
chmod 666 "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/user/asc.pref"
chmod 666 "/Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/user/updates_notif.json"

#SPECIAL PERMISSIONS FOR SPECIAL AGENTS: 644_Root:Wheel is the key of the launchctl mystery
# NB: those permissions should already be properly set up by installer.cmake, but better be certain.
echo "4*"
chmod 644 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.Arturia.ArturiaSoftwareCenterAgent.plist
echo "5*"
sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchAgents/com.Arturia.ArturiaSoftwareCenterAgent.plist

if [[ ( -n $INSTALLER_USER ) ]]; then
    # Make sure the previous agent is not running.
    # It should be stopped in the preinstall with "launchctl stop", but it might not work.
    AGENT_PROCESS=`pgrep -u $INSTALLER_USER -x ArturiaSoftwareCenterAgent`
echo "6*"
    if [[ ( -n $AGENT_PROCESS ) ]]; then
        echo "Killing Agent Process: $AGENT_PROCESS"
        kill $AGENT_PROCESS
    fi
    # Unload previous agent config and load new one
    # This must be done as the current user, not as root.
    echo "Unloading agent service."
echo "7*"
    sudo -u $INSTALLER_USER launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.Arturia.ArturiaSoftwareCenterAgent.plist
    echo "Reloading agent service."
echo "8*"
    sudo -u $INSTALLER_USER launchctl load -w -F /Library/LaunchAgents/com.Arturia.ArturiaSoftwareCenterAgent.plist
#else
    # We are root and don't know the current user: don't relaunch the agent from the install script:
    # the ASC will check at start if the agent is reachable, and reload the launchd config if not (in the right user environment)
echo "9*"

fi

exit 0

Cuauhtli
KVRist
265 posts since 6 Nov, 2010

Post Fri May 13, 2022 1:52 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:11 pm I'm honestly a little appalled they kept the stupid "vents/fans" section at the top of the CS-80 GUI. That GUI has way too much sh*t happening already, which starts to adversely impact usability, then they go and dedicate a bunch of space to fans just to hide the trimmers? For f*ck's sake! Those pixels could've gone to making me able to make the GUI just a tiny bit larger to improve usability.
They're just trying to help keep your computer from overheating.

Short test but digging the new CS-80 so far. Glad they worked on the ring mod. That was always a thorn in previous iterations.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

vertibration
KVRian
677 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Post Fri May 13, 2022 5:38 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:11 pm I'm honestly a little appalled they kept the stupid "vents/fans" section at the top of the CS-80 GUI. That GUI has way too much sh*t happening already, which starts to adversely impact usability, then they go and dedicate a bunch of space to fans just to hide the trimmers? For f*ck's sake! Those pixels could've gone to making me able to make the GUI just a tiny bit larger to improve usability.
Frankly, I would have gotten rid of the keyboard, kept the ribbon controller at the bottom, placed all dispersion in the effects section to keep the UI clean, and space out all the knobs and sliders and make them slightly larger

I still dont get why designers keep keyboards on plugins, aside from visual representation, its utterly useless. I dont think people really "need" to see a key being pressed. So much wasted space. At least give the option to hide the keyboard.

Thats why I love the OP-X Pro II. You have 2 versions to choose from, full or rack. Thats why I also love Synapse legend and obsession as well. Big knobs baby

jamcat
KVRAF
2064 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri May 13, 2022 5:55 pm

I use the GUI keyboard all the time. It’s really inconvenient when there isn’t a keyboard to audition sounds with just my mouse.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

trusampler
KVRAF
1506 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Post Fri May 13, 2022 6:14 pm

Anyone else here just map the important parameters of the synths emulated here to their midi controller n just get lost in the sounds and play much ?

I'm not a huge fan of looking at screens to play music and Arturia has an amazing option for mapping for midi controllers. Treat it more like the Hw it's emulating,and suddenly the sounds trump the visual. Ymmv
Cpu:Win10/Intel Core i9-10900K
Interface:Slate VMS/Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Synergy Core/UA Apollo Rack/SSL UF8+UC1
Synths: Sequential Prophet 10/Arturia Polybrute/Roland Fantom7/Deepmind 12/Waldorf M/Korg OPsix/Akai Mpc

Fleer
KVRAF
5133 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Post Fri May 13, 2022 6:21 pm

Now that the Prophets are two separate instruments, does V Collection 9 still offer an (updated) Hybrid two-in-one version of both? Those combined Prophet 5 / Prophet VS sounds were pretty unique.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9612 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Fri May 13, 2022 6:35 pm

Fleer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:21 pm Now that the Prophets are two separate instruments, does V Collection 9 still offer an (updated) Hybrid two-in-one version of both? Those combined Prophet 5 / Prophet VS sounds were pretty unique.
No. But if you already had it, you don’t lose it.

Fleer
KVRAF
5133 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Post Fri May 13, 2022 7:04 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:35 pm
Fleer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:21 pm Now that the Prophets are two separate instruments, does V Collection 9 still offer an (updated) Hybrid two-in-one version of both? Those combined Prophet 5 / Prophet VS sounds were pretty unique.
No. But if you already had it, you don’t lose it.
Dang. Would have loved a Hybrid version of the updated engines.

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
3845 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Fri May 13, 2022 10:27 pm

I was just remembering my brother owned an MS-20 back in the day. He wired up 3-way patch cords, and made totally wild sounds doing that. How about that for a fun feature request?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2021 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 12
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

SebAV
KVRist
112 posts since 31 Oct, 2015

Post Sat May 14, 2022 12:00 am

vertibration wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:38 pm
Frankly, I would have gotten rid of the keyboard, kept the ribbon controller at the bottom, placed all dispersion in the effects section to keep the UI clean, and space out all the knobs and sliders and make them slightly larger

I still dont get why designers keep keyboards on plugins, aside from visual representation, its utterly useless. I dont think people really "need" to see a key being pressed. So much wasted space. At least give the option to hide the keyboard.

Thats why I love the OP-X Pro II. You have 2 versions to choose from, full or rack. Thats why I also love Synapse legend and obsession as well. Big knobs baby
Wasted space with the keyboard. Wasted space to make the overall look balanced. Softube has also done it with model 84… I think Synapse is ok because it’s designed to be the same as the RE extension. Reason’s great if not too « squared »

SebAV
KVRist
112 posts since 31 Oct, 2015

Post Sat May 14, 2022 12:03 am

jamcat wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:55 pm I use the GUI keyboard all the time. It’s really inconvenient when there isn’t a keyboard to audition sounds with just my mouse.
Isn’t using computer keys better ? Every daw has a way to do it. And perhaps a unique « pad » on the UI to trigger a note with the mouse ? I find it hard to « play the instrument » on the graphical keyboard with the mouse.

LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
4867 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Sat May 14, 2022 12:11 am

SebAV wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:03 am
jamcat wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:55 pm I use the GUI keyboard all the time. It’s really inconvenient when there isn’t a keyboard to audition sounds with just my mouse.
Isn’t using computer keys better ? Every daw has a way to do it. And perhaps a unique « pad » on the UI to trigger a note with the mouse ? I find it hard to « play the instrument » on the graphical keyboard with the mouse.
I also like having GUI keyboard. It's more about previewing sounds than playing. And I don't think you can play with computer keyboard for standalone versions.

kmonkey
KVRAF
4328 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Sat May 14, 2022 12:28 am

I am using GUI keyboards on touch screens. Working fine.

Return to “Instruments”