Studio One question

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In cubase it is possible to edit midi notes in the midi clip on the track.
It needs a keyboard command and the view changes and you can edit them without opening the midi editor for it.

Can I do this in Studio one to?

No on knows something?

I’ve never seen or heard of anything like this in Studio One. Of course, this is also the first time I’ve heard of it in Cubase, either.

Exposing MIDI data to alteration outside of the MIDI editor sounds like a bad idea to me.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

No, it is not possible in Studio One.

I think the OP is referring to what is called 'Inline editing'.
Instead of opening the midi editor window, you can toggle the track so that the midi clip is displayed on the actual track in the arranger. Reaper does this. So can Waveform. But ozinga is correct, you cannot do it in Studio One...

Yea, things like Inline and List Editing aren't available in Studio One. Perhaps it has something to do with how Studio One implements MIDI in that DAW.

Most DAWs have both Inline and List Editing, in addition to a Piano Roll. Even ACID Pro has all of this. So, this is a conscious design decision on the part of the Studio One developers, or a platform limitation (implementation details needed).

It's not alone in missing this, though. I'm pretty sure a few others lack this, like Samplitude Pro X (which works on a strict object-oriented/encapsulation model). That being said, the ergonomics are always in question with inline editing. The track has to be big enough and [horizontally] zoomed in far enough to actually enable you to edit productively. At some point, it just doesn't make sense to even use this method of editing MIDI over the Piano Roll.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

The navigating and resizing is a pain for me. Its the one aspect of the program I really wish they would revise. Esp. when it comes to automation tracks. It's just 'fiddly' for me.

jamcat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:53 pm I’ve never seen or heard of anything like this in Studio One. Of course, this is also the first time I’ve heard of it in Cubase, either.

Exposing MIDI data to alteration outside of the MIDI editor sounds like a bad idea to me.
Cubase has had inline MIDI editing forever.

You edit audio regions in the song arrange window, right? Inline MIDI editing is the same idea.

OllieBoi wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:19 am You edit audio regions in the song arrange window, right? Inline MIDI editing is the same idea.
No. In Studio One when you double click an audio part, it opens the waveform in the editor window, same as MIDI.

You can’t actually edit the audio in the Arrange window. You can only nondestructively resize the clip region, which is once again the same for MIDI parts.

jamcat wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:26 am
OllieBoi wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:19 am You edit audio regions in the song arrange window, right? Inline MIDI editing is the same idea.
No. In Studio One when you double click an audio part, it opens the waveform in the editor window, same as MIDI.

You can’t actually edit the audio in the Arrange window. You can only nondestructively resize the clip region, which is once again the same for MIDI parts.
That''s not necessarily true. The Audio editor in S1 pretty much just mirrors what's in the Arrange view. You can do pretty much any of the same functions in the arrange view, reverse, split, even work with time bend markers. You get all the same tools as the Action menu in the Audio Editor if you right click on an audio region and choose audio. There is no real difference between the two editors.

That being said an inline editor for midi doesn't really make sense to me, but I don't have a DAW that has that (Logic, Bitwig, S1, Ableton, so I can't really say how useful it is.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Well apparently there isn’t anything destructive that you can do to the actual audio file in Studio One. If they were to add something like Audition’s waveform drawing, I imagine that would only be done in the editor window.

You don’t want that level of editing exposed on the Arranger, because it becomes too easy to accidentally alter your data.

Actually, yes, Musical Functions (the things in that context menu) will work without opening the editor.

LawrenceF wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:51 pm Actually, yes, Musical Functions (the things in that context menu) will work without opening the editor.
Lawrence I am sorry to bother you again...

Perhaps you remember that you did for me a little script to be able to open the master chain plugins via a keyboard shortcut...

Well now that there is the Listen bus would the script be able to open these by keyboard shortcut too??

AFAIK, Studio One doesn't but REAPER does.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”