Butterfly unusable

Official support for: hornetplugins.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Saverio,

Having just purchased Butterfly I was looking forward to giving it a spin. However both VST2 and VST3 totally overload the CPU. This is on different machines running Win10 and Win 11 with pretty decent I5 and Ryzen processors. Something is amiss, known bug? If so needs a fix urgently.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

operandx wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:55 pm Hi Saverio,

Having just purchased Butterfly I was looking forward to giving it a spin. However, both VST2 and VST3 totally overload the CPU. This is on different machines running Win10 and Win 11 with pretty decent I5 and Ryzen processors. Something is amiss, known bug? If so needs a fix urgently.
Hi,

as you know the plugin encompasses many plugins and this consequently requires some CPU processing.
I am pretty sure that the plugin will be further optimized in the next updates.
Meanwhile -as a workaround- you may try to increase the Buffer Size of your DAW.
Best

Maso
your support at HoRNet plugins. Need help? Just open a ticket

hatefish wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:25 pm
operandx wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:55 pm
Hi,

as you know the plugin encompasses many plugins and this consequently requires some CPU processing.
I am pretty sure that the plugin will be further optimized in the next updates.
Meanwhile -as a workaround- you may try to increase the Buffer Size of your DAW.
Best

Maso
Thanks for your reply but this is more than an optimization issue. Something is wrong if my Ryzen can't cope with this plugin at the buffer sizes I'm using. When I checked the CPU usage of the plugin it was showing 100% even when not processing. Are you denying there is anything wrong?

OK, looks like I found some kind of answer in comments on a YouTube video. There is a known issue with LU meter and there's going to be a fix this month. Maso, do you work for Hornet? If so what was wrong with giving me that info, would have saved me wasting time looking for it?

Hi, as Maso told you the plugin will be optimized. It's not a bug in the sense that the plugin works as expected is just that the loop for the short term LU analysis takes too much cpu (not on every system, on my i7 for example it does not use more than 30% cpu, that's too much but not 100%)
So what Maso told you is correct, it's matter of optimization and well do this by the end of the month.

Saverio

It might be nice to have a "Bypass" for the metering section, like there is for the individual fx. Particularly for use as a channel strip.
Homebrew MSI Ryzen 3700x 32G RAM 4.5 Ghz, Win 10 Pro 22H2, Focusrite 2i2 v3 i/o, Komplete S49, Ableton Live 12, FL 21, Studio One

Same issue here. The plugin is doing it's thing, however due to the heavy CPU load there is no way of hearing what the plugin is actually doing. The sound it generates is completely distorted and slowed down. I also opened a ticket with HorNET and got the same response and the same workaround: increase the buffer size (which, actually, is not helping at all).

My setup should be sufficient to handle this plugin (AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit). But now I see there is still some finetuning to be done. I wanted to return the plugin, but now I will just wait and see what happens with the next update.

Furthermore, I just noticed that the global bypass button is not working. I have to use the bypass function of my DAW to ignore the plugin.

Thanks for reporting the "global bypass button" issue.
May I ask what's your DAW and which plugin format (vst, vst3) shows the issue?
About the Butterfly performance: as Saverio pointed out, a new update will be available soon. Till then -as a workaround- try increasing the Buffer Size of your DAW. It will mitigate the issue.
Best
Maso

hatefish wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:02 am Thanks for reporting the "global bypass button" issue.
May I ask what's your DAW and which plugin format (vst, vst3) shows the issue?
About the Butterfly performance: as Saverio pointed out, a new update will be available soon. Till then -as a workaround- try increasing the Buffer Size of your DAW. It will mitigate the issue.
Best
Maso
I only tested the global bypass button for the vst2. The DAW I use is Reaper.

lexxellent wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:57 am I only tested the global bypass button for the vst2. The DAW I use is Reaper.
OK,great! Thanks for your feedback.

Maso

Oh both of you that report very high CPU usage are using AMD cpus, so there must be something there. Thank you for letting us know :)

Saverio

Hi guys,

Saw the latest update of Butterfly and installed it. The global bypass button now works like a charm and there is no more CPU overload en sound distortion. Perfect! Thanks for the update!

However, I noticed that the LUFS metering seems to be a bit off. The true peak looks fine, at least for the output metering. But the measured integrated level seems to look a bit too loud. I checked the numbers against three other metering plugins: Klangfreund LUFS meter 2, TB Pro Audio DPMeter 5 and the JS Loudness Meter Peak/RMS/LUFS (from Cockos). Those three metering plugins were in good accordance.

Did anyone else notice this as well?

OK, just did some more testing on the LUFS metering. Here's what I found:

- The input and output meters in Butterfly showed different values for the true peak when all the components where bypassed. Same thing when I used the global bypass option. The output true peak seemed to be more in line with the other three metering plugins I used. The input value was significantly lower (+0.4 db for the output vs. -0.2 db for the input in the audio I used for testing).

- Integrated LUFS was consistently 1 to 2 db/LU louder on Butterfly than on the other metering plugins.

- Both the vst2 and vst3 versions showed the same results.

lexxellent wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:21 pm OK, just did some more testing on the LUFS metering. Here's what I found:

- The input and output meters in Butterfly showed different values for the true peak when all the components where bypassed. Same thing when I used the global bypass option. The output true peak seemed to be more in line with the other three metering plugins I used. The input value was significantly lower (+0.4 db for the output vs. -0.2 db for the input in the audio I used for testing).

- Integrated LUFS was consistently 1 to 2 db/LU louder on Butterfly than on the other metering plugins.

- Both the vst2 and vst3 versions showed the same results.
Hi, if you bypass each component individually or use the global bypass button you are still running the oversample engine of Butterfly, this may explain some differences.

(that's just an hypothesis I haven't done any specific test)

Saverio

Return to “HoRNet Plugins”