Zebra 3 and Zebra Legacy

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Dark Zebra Zebra

Yes, get TDZ now if you want the cheapest update.

kvr@barder.net wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:14 pm Hi Urs and sorry that I am being so obtuse (aka stupid).

I own Zebra 2 and want Zebra 3. Is the cheapest way to do this to upgrade to the Dark Zebra now?

Many thanks - happy owner of many of your amazing products.
Urs wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:57 pm
Bob Hemsby wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:29 pm Not sure I get.... if I own Z2, I automatically get DZ and soundsets for free? (And that becomes Z legacy)

And upgrade to Z3 is €30?
Then, yes.
Since you already have Zebra 2 the cheapest way for you is to wait until Zebra 3 is released and then upgrade for 30 euros.

The cheapest way is to simply wait and get the 30€ upgrade. But you'd miss out on the goodness of TDZ in the meantime.

Many thanks for this clarification Urs.

Given the general confusion I wonder if it would be worth you closing this post and including a link to your website. The web page could include a matrix to show upgrade options and prices to Zebra 3 depending on what you own, what you choose to buy and when.

OR Option B, having just reread your original post, ask readers like me to read your post more carefully…!

“Back in 2012 I pledged that the upgrade from regular Zebra2 to Zebra3 will be 30 bucks, but free for existing owners of The Dark Zebra. Of course we will honour that pledge, but in the meantime we have switched our pricing from USD to Euro.”

We will communicate this more precisely in the coming months. This thread is just a quick reaction to an increase in questions in the aftermath of our Superbooth presentation.

Wow! Amazing news in general, and especially amazing for folks that are just on Z2. You'll get DZ and 3 for $30 (or euros). I bought DZ just to get that upgrade, but i welcome the additional soundsets when they come. U-he rocks.

A very thoughtful post Urs. Uhe is one of a kind and I can't wait to see the final leg of the Z3 journey. It's an epic story from start to finish!

Hi Urs,
I've been a big fan of your plugins (almost own them all), but I think U-he missed something with the Zebra 3 release process...

If I'm not wrong, Z2 was released in 2006 (bought it in ~2010), and, at this time, it was clearly the best plugin (according to my need) on the market. But now, almost 15 years after, I can't see why it took so much time to develop what seems to be an update for the wavetable editor and Oscs. I know you worked on a lot of other products, but my (and given the number of threads about Z3, -the community) expectations were higher.

I mean, we had Serum that did its time, and now Arturia is killing it with Pigments, first released in 2018, and they are already at version 3.5, with yearly update that reshape the workflow and add some cool features.

I'll upgrade to Z3 because you're deep in my heart, but I'm also struggled by the fact that U-he, as a company, didn't expand itself to a bigger thing. I wanted Z3 to blow my mind, and revolutionize the market, but for me, other companies did it for you, like VCV Rack.
The huge thing about Z2 was the modules (with wavetable osc) library and the semi modulars architecture, but now, Pigments or VCV Rack do it better. Could have you done more if you had much more employees ?
It seems that U-he is more like a "Family business" with "hand-made" plugins, not a big corporation releasing a ton of synths every year, but waiting 10 years to get what seems to be a "yearly update" is frustrating.

Anyway, I hope I missed the point on Z3 and that it will give me the same pleasure I had by using Z2.
Cheers

rafa1981 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:06 pm Owners of Z2 get ZLegacy and can upgrade to Z3 for 30 bucks.

Owners of Z2 + HZ get Zlegacy and Z3.

Owners of Zlegacy that bought the product brand new get no upgrade path to Z3.
Then I should have waited 3 years amd saved 70 buks lol!!

rafa1981 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:06 pm Owners of Z2 get ZLegacy and can upgrade to Z3 for 30 bucks.

Owners of Z2 + HZ get Zlegacy and Z3.

Owners of Zlegacy that bought the product brand new get no upgrade path to Z3.

However us that already have the dark zebra and zebra ... I wish we could get those extra presets to keep us busy and out of Urs hair until Z3 Kicks in Hard!!

“However us that already have the dark zebra and zebra ... I wish we could get those extra presets to keep us busy and out of Urs hair until Z3 Kicks in Hard!!”

That would be swell.

technolife wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:52 pm Hi Urs,
I've been a big fan of your plugins (almost own them all), but I think U-he missed something with the Zebra 3 release process...

If I'm not wrong, Z2 was released in 2006 (bought it in ~2010), and, at this time, it was clearly the best plugin (according to my need) on the market. But now, almost 15 years after, I can't see why it took so much time to develop what seems to be an update for the wavetable editor and Oscs. I know you worked on a lot of other products, but my (and given the number of threads about Z3, -the community) expectations were higher.

I mean, we had Serum that did its time, and now Arturia is killing it with Pigments, first released in 2018, and they are already at version 3.5, with yearly update that reshape the workflow and add some cool features.

I'll upgrade to Z3 because you're deep in my heart, but I'm also struggled by the fact that U-he, as a company, didn't expand itself to a bigger thing. I wanted Z3 to blow my mind, and revolutionize the market, but for me, other companies did it for you, like VCV Rack.
The huge thing about Z2 was the modules (with wavetable osc) library and the semi modulars architecture, but now, Pigments or VCV Rack do it better. Could have you done more if you had much more employees ?
It seems that U-he is more like a "Family business" with "hand-made" plugins, not a big corporation releasing a ton of synths every year, but waiting 10 years to get what seems to be a "yearly update" is frustrating.

Anyway, I hope I missed the point on Z3 and that it will give me the same pleasure I had by using Z2.
Cheers
How do you know that zebra 3 will not blow your mind ?
The only thing that's shown untill now is the new ( amazing ) waveform editor
You can't compare someting that's not released with exisitng stuff , and imho there is still nothing on the market that has the unique zebra osc.effects .
VCV rack is completely different beast , so apples and oranges
Everybody goes wild about serum and it's wavetables and it's phase dist. effects ,but zebra can do so much more .
Spectromorph ,etc..combined with the osc effects ,it's a prerequisite to understand these two concepts fully to unleash the power .
Nothing on the market then and now does it as fluently as zebra does , and don't get me started about the fab.HZ filters .
All of this already good stuff will be improved in zeb 3, even better filters , more modularity , awesome waveform editor etc...what's not to like ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

technolife wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:52 pm Hi Urs,

Cheers
You seem to have confused a teaser with an announcement. This is one feature of many, the others have yet to be announced. I have no doubt that the amount of effort and care that has gone into this will make for a unique and amazing plugin.

Expectations are high, I guess.

Urs wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:42 pm Expectations are high, I guess.
Of course! :dog: It's a u-he product! :hyper:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “u-he”