MODO Bass 2 has arrived

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO BASS 2

The keymap I created doesn't transform the note (though it can). All it is doing is telling Studio One that A-1 is "A String" and E-1 is "E String."
Oh well, then it's not doing anything that would affect MODO.
(mind you - E0 is "Estring")
I can do that in Reaper - you just make a little text file with the note number and the label.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

The other thing it does is converts those keyswitch MIDI notes with a click to “Sound Variations” which is Studio One’s own thing. When you convert the keyswitches, the notes disappear from the piano roll and they show up as events in a special lane, similar to an automation lane. You can add an event directly to the lane or reassign an event to a different variation. If you change the note a particular event triggers in the map, all of the events will automatically trigger the new note.

You could also have an input note transformed to a different note or sequence of notes or CC events. But I’m not using it for that. It would be good for automatically converting one drum map to another, for example, translating Toontrack MIDI packs for MODO DRUM.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I would just try with a plain MIDI track- nothing on it - to test MODO.
John Braner

Hmmm... I just assumed when I saw that IK had added fretless capability to any model that they had developed a more intuitive way to slide from one specific note to another.

There are really two camps: Those who are trying to play live articulations, and those who want intuitive programming to get the perfect studio sound. The velocity method doesn't really serve either.

One of my biggest issues with Modo, though, has always been that I can't dial out the fret noises on the slides.

Do I understand correctly that by switching to "fretless" mode on one of the non-fretless bases, the fretted tone is preserved for normal playing, but the fret sounds are eliminated from slides? If so, that might be worth the upgrade right there as I have wasted countless hours trying to clean up those damn slide noises.

I've always loved the core sound of Modo Bass, but I've always found these built in limitations perplexing. For instance, it's just frustrating having the software decide for me that all pitch bends are capped at a semitone, or that I can't actually turn the release noises ALL the way off. Have any of these kinds of limitations improved?

For live just play a real bass. It's easier.

My first experience with the support is horrible. It took 3 mails to get a response; as I accidentally bought the SE2 version and not the upgrade for version 1 which I own, they just pointed to the pricing policies. I can't even sell that license. The price to the upgrade would have been the same; now I am left with a version which is absolutely not worth the price when you had version 1. I would have had 90 days to be able to resell, which is a bummer as I bought it in the presale and it came out very much later than announced. I think for now I won't make any new business with IK as this shows me, they are absolutely not interested in happy customers at; and I bought a lot since about 10 years. It's also a joke, that it seems to be not possible to revert a sale in this case or change the serial.
Put your money elsewhere...
Last edited by Xbucket on Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Do you mean you bought MODO BASS SE for $149.99 instead of the MODO BASS 2 Upgrade for $149.99? (CS is free.)

No, SE, sorry. ;)

That sucks if they can't change it for you!
They'll know if you have ver 1 registered - so what's the problem?
John Braner

jbraner wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:42 pm That sucks if they can't change it for you!
They'll know if you have ver 1 registered - so what's the problem?
It absolutely sucks and I thought its just no big deal. Problem would be that all digital sales are final.

Is there any way to easily detune Modo Bass 2? I work with samples that aren’t always perfectly in tune, and it’d be awesome to be able to alter the pitch of the plugin. Would also be nice to add some per note variation. Is this possible in the current version?

Dewaldian wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:18 pm Is there any way to easily detune Modo Bass 2? I work with samples that aren’t always perfectly in tune, and it’d be awesome to be able to alter the pitch of the plugin. Would also be nice to add some per note variation. Is this possible in the current version?
I think you can't do this in the plugin. You could use a pitch plug afterwards. Personally I don't even get, why they just allow you to pitch bend just 2 semitones up and down. when you are at the lowest not you can't even pitch it further down with the midi pitchbend. I mean on gearslutz Peter wrote, that it should behave like a real bass. I think lots of customers would prefer to have more options than you have with a real bass to use it for sound design purposes too.

Dewaldian wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:18 pm Is there any way to easily detune Modo Bass 2? I work with samples that aren’t always perfectly in tune, and it’d be awesome to be able to alter the pitch of the plugin. Would also be nice to add some per note variation. Is this possible in the current version?
Under STRING you can change the A440 reference ±10 cents. It would be strange to have each note off by a different amount, since that would only happen if the bass had a bad fret job. I suppose you could have an out of tune string, but MODO BASS doesn't allow for independent tuning per string, so far.

If you want it to sound like the bassist is pulling the string off center a bit, just pitch bend up a little at the start of the note, as that is exactly what the bassist would be doing.

In the end of my story, IK paid the money back for the product and now I could buy the right one. I would have preferred without this hassle, but thank you IK for doing this. Maybe if in the future people have a similar problem, don't just rely on some policy and concentrate how you can help them. But as I try to keep positive energy Im fine again with them.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with MODO Bass 2?

After I open a saved project in Logic, MODO Bass sometimes produces a loud "digital" pop in the beginning of every note, or the sound seems to have crackles/dropouts. This could also happen if I make a copy of the channel strip in Logic, where the original MODO Bass instance works fine, but the copy has the crackle problem. All settings are 100% the same between the instances, and the problem persists even if I copy&paste all settings from the working instance to the "buggy" one. The only way to fix this issue seems to be to close the plugin instance, open it again, then paste the settings.

This happens at least with the Imperial Bass in Pick & Slap styles. Here's a couple of sound examples. Both files have the first four notes from a properly working MODO Bass instance, then the same four notes from another instance which is in the "buggy" state:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Already contacted support, but maybe someone else here has also seen this? Never had any similar problems with MODO Bass 1.

OS X 12.4, Logic 10.7.4, MODO Bass 2.0.2 (also happened with earlier versions), Mac Pro (Intel)

Return to “Instruments”