What's the one feature your DAW is still lacking compared to the competition?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

astralprojection wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:00 am cubase
- ability to route one Input to Several different outputs, not just one..
Add 4 audio tracks with the same input and assign a different output to each of them?

It would be great to turn fl studio into a cross-platform app, which supports ios, mac and windows. The problem with the different au3 and vst instruments could be solved by turning them into direct wave instruments.

I wish the piano roll in Ableton Live would receive some love. I'm going to miss FL Studio's (far superior) piano roll.
DAW: Logic Pro Audio Interface: STUDIO 24c Monitors: ROKIT 5 Microphone: AT2020 Computer: iMac 27" Keyboard: LaunchKEY 49

- ability to route one Input to Several different outputs, not just one.. daisy chaining ( serial) is cool and all but sometimes you just want parallells and then route them all into one. And more reasons.
I think reaper allows you to route one channel into as many other channels you want? And Reason definitely can do it, with its marvelous little I/O device which i dont remember the name of atm
you can only do sends for that in cubase..
That's what sends are for. There ain't a pre-fader option for nothing.
More BPM please

T-CM11 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:34 pm
- ability to route one Input to Several different outputs, not just one..
Add 4 audio tracks with the same input and assign a different output to each of them?
how would that work.. that would be for recording audio only (recording one input to several different audio tracks - what good would that do? just duplicate the audio in that case).
dionenoid wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:09 pm
- ability to route one Input to Several different outputs, not just one.. daisy chaining ( serial) is cool and all but sometimes you just want parallells and then route them all into one. And more reasons.
I think reaper allows you to route one channel into as many other channels you want? And Reason definitely can do it, with its marvelous little I/O device which i dont remember the name of atm
you can only do sends for that in cubase..
That's what sends are for. There ain't a pre-fader option for nothing.
thats not really what sends are for imho. But yes, it works ofc, thats why i also said exactly that ; "you can only do sends for that in cubase".

thanks both for the suggestions. still missing features to me, even if theres workarounds like everything else..

I wish for better video/score to picture features in Studio One. It's basically non-existent at this point and the video player is not really that good..

I wish Cubase had a built in layering tool, like Akai VIP or Komplete Kontrol (if it could layer).
Reason Rack Plug-in doesn't allow for VSTs so that doesn't work, and the VIP doesn't work with many plugins (doesn't load/tag the presets).
My hope is that NI will do this for KK, but with their history, maybe 2050?

These lists could go on forever. My DAW DP11 is near there for me at least.

The main one is Bitwig's plug in Device(global) and Preset(project) plug in parameter handling. Completely eliminates the need for mappable cc parameters in a plug in, since a good amount of plug ins these days do not have the ability to store a dozen or so mapped cc parameters. Of course this goes along with Bitwig's ability to map control surfaces yourself if there isn't one available.

Other things : Live's MIDI comping, this is just fantastic stuff IMO, and Bitwig's plug in sandboxing.

crickey13 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:02 am I wish Reaper had a built-in simple 4-operator FM synth, that would make it complete for me.
There are loads of free 4 operator synths out there, tons if one is on Windows. I personally appreciate that Cockos doesn't bundle instruments (beyond the bare bones wave generator) with so many freeware options for everything.

Yeah, check out Dexed, completely free open source 6 op FM soft synth, it can even load DX7 patches via SysEx

https://youtu.be/wSs1-020nNY

https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

spigmu wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:46 pm
crickey13 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:02 am I wish Reaper had a built-in simple 4-operator FM synth, that would make it complete for me.
There are loads of free 4 operator synths out there, tons if one is on Windows. I personally appreciate that Cockos doesn't bundle instruments (beyond the bare bones wave generator) with so many freeware options for everything.
hey :) ReaSynth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvSC-6qq1vs
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:17 pm
spigmu wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:46 pm
hey :) ReaSynth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvSC-6qq1vs
Yeah, I wish they would include ReaFM synth or something along those lines. I use the free FM synths like Exakt Lite and Dexed, but it would be nice to have a built-in option available.

I like Cubase because it's really full-featured. What I wish it had, though, are:
1. Ability to change skins like Reaper. I think, but I'm not sure, all CPU's would breathe a sigh of relief if the skins were cartoon-simple like Bidule.
2. Be able to load several mono synths in parallel to create a chord like you can do with Midi Splitter in Bidule.
3. Be as easy on your CPU in general as Reaper is.
4. Have some way to increase or decrease plugin GUI's beyond whatever their manufacturers allows.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:04 am I like Cubase because it's really full-featured. What I wish it had, though, are:
1. Ability to change skins like Reaper. I think, but I'm not sure, all CPU's would breathe a sigh of relief if the skins were cartoon-simple like Bidule.
2. Be able to load several mono synths in parallel to create a chord like you can do with Midi Splitter in Bidule.
3. Be as easy on your CPU in general as Reaper is.
4. Have some way to increase or decrease plugin GUI's beyond whatever their manufacturers allows.

2) you can absolutely create several mono tracks to act like a chord though
but you have to route each instrument into a mono group, in order to get mono. so that means 3 vsti channels , and 3 mono group channels, then you can route the 3 mono channels into the "main" stereo group of the three.
so yes there should be a much smoother way :) but personally i like the old school mixing/routing approach, it makes more sense to me doing it the way its done currently even if its a bit of a slight hassle setting it all up, its part of the process.

No CPU issues in Cubase, but my CPU is no slouch. I think that can be attributed to hardware platform, and is very situational. But yea, REAPER is good on turtles.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”