CLAP 1.0 betas for ACE, Diva, Hive, MFM 2.5

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh thanks. We can get thst into 103

Oh it’s not in the comment! Ok so maybe not 103 thanks will discuss with crew

swartzfeger wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 pm This sounds really, REALLY incredible. I've been using Bitwig for about 2 years but have barely scratched the surface (I'm mostly a guitarist and a frustrated synthesist).

So it sounds like you used the midi note channel filter to do per-note modulation?
I used Channel-16 modulator to modulate the strength of the ParSeq-8 modulator (could be any per voice modulator) so that it only affects notes on a specific midi channel.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:14 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:32 pm This is Hive CLAP and using Bitwig per voice modulators to sequence parameters. 3 Held notes, each with a different sequence.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/CLAP-Hive-1.mp3
Seeing and hearing this type of stuff in action is both great for Bitwig, and great for Clap. These types of modulation are Clap's "killer feature" IMO. The kind of thing anyone who works with instruments can look at and go, "ok, that would be a pain in the ass to setup with another DAW or plugin format...I'd need at least 8 instances of Hive, need to route different notes to each, modulate them differently..."

...or just use Clap and polyphonic modulations! I think everyone can "get" that benefit even when the most abstract concepts don't click. :)
Yeah, for me such things are a matter of friction. I could have done this with 3 instances of Hive and a Bitwig Instrument Layer device and midi channel filters and so on. But it takes too much effort to set up and even more to edit and change it until I am happy with the result.

I have to be able to try stuff quickly and be able to edit fluidly. Too much friction in the system and I wont bother spontaneously trying something cause who knows if I will be happy with the result.

I will certainly be using this to be able to affect/modulate just one note or a couple notes in a midi clip because it is very easy to edit/change. As someone who designs all my own sounds, the new CLAP capability to use Bitwig's per voice modulators is awesome! :love:

swartzfeger wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 pm Also: I didn't know ParSeq8 was even a "thing" -- off to youtube!
ParSeq-8 is a useful and sunique modulator in Bitwig. Each step can modulate its own separate parameters and it has a number of useful modes. I don't think it has received enough attention! :tu:

In think what we're seeing here is a new understanding of what West Coast synthesis is all about, where sound design and composition transcend each other.

The feature is not limited to that kind of modular exploration. Other hosts can use it in completely different ways, like drawing curves in a row on the piano roll. Or using different "modulation presets" for different notes, similar to "layer styles" in Photoshop. Or firing different modulation patterns live based on controller keys pressed while playing live.

Urs wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:57 pm In think what we're seeing here is a new understanding of what West Coast synthesis is all about, where sound design and composition transcend each other.

The feature is not limited to that kind of modular exploration. Other hosts can use it in completely different ways, like drawing curves in a row on the piano roll. Or using different "modulation presets" for different notes, similar to "layer styles" in Photoshop. Or firing different modulation patterns live based on controller keys pressed while playing live.
This got me thinking: probably it can be used to create a 'parameter lock' behaviour. Each sequencer step could be locked to a fixed absolute value for a parameter. All unlocked steps would still use the actual parameter value (which is not automated so can still be freely adjusted by the user). The host would have to calculate the modulation amount for the locked steps as {stepModAmount = absoluteStepValue - absoluteParameterValue}. This is the advantage of the modulation being non-destructive.

Urs wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:57 pm In think what we're seeing here is a new understanding of what West Coast synthesis is all about, where sound design and composition transcend each other.

That's a strong ground for a strong future.
Brzzzzzzt.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:17 pm We noticed this too, Bitwig doesn't seem to play notes with a velocity of 1. This works ok in Reaper.
But for our plugins it's the same behaviour in all plugin formats, VST2, VST3 and CLAP.
I think Bitwig were trying to fix things in this area not so long ago, because one of the fixes listed in the changelog for 4.3 beta 3 was:
Notes with velocities below 0.39% were not being sent to VSTs anymore [28610]

ACE, using Bitwig per voice modulators- modulating some parameters not available directly in ACE. I've been getting some lovely pads/textures...

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/CLAP-Ace-4.mp3

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 pm ACE, using Bitwig per voice modulators- modulating some parameters not available directly in ACE. I've been getting some lovely pads/textures...

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/CLAP-Ace-4.mp3
That's the ticket.

Urs has already raised the topic of discussing the possible interaction of plugins with each other. and I think it would be a great opportunity to have routing between plugins for deeper interaction. for example, good for metadevices, I have the opportunity to assemble my synthesizers from the processing of different renoise companies. and such a method has great potential for modularity, excluding the same vcvrack

jalex wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:38 pm Urs has already raised the topic of discussing the possible interaction of plugins with each other. and I think it would be a great opportunity to have routing between plugins for deeper interaction. for example, good for metadevices, I have the opportunity to assemble my synthesizers from the processing of different renoise companies. and such a method has great potential for modularity, excluding the same vcvrack
I really don't think this is a function that should be employed by a plugin. Plugins provide inputs and outputs. Hosts route.

If plugin developers wish to write plugins that are aware of one another, and pass data directly, nothing in any plugin standard prevents them from doing so. You can do it today with VSTs.

Here is another ACE example... using a couple of Bitwig's ParSeq-8 modulators (per voice) to sequence various parameters (kinda like Elektron p-locks). Couldn't do this in ACE before CLAP! 2 held notes.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/CLAP-Ace-5.mp3

Great example, just above!

...I'm hearing two kinds of voices calling, 2013, and 2023, and based the accomplishments and demeanor of the 2023 voices, the future wins
without even stirring up the dust :hyper:

Return to “u-he”