CLAP: The New Audio Plug-in Standard (by U-he, Bitwig and others)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WasteLand wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:43 pm i hope CLAP will also come for the plugins i own, and can use the advantages... Plasmonic? Generate? Zebra (i won't say it....)....
Zebra 3 of course... whenever it arrives.

In the short term, Ace, Diva, Hive, Bazille and RePro will all end up as CLAP with PolyMod.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:57 pm
WasteLand wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:43 pm i hope CLAP will also come for the plugins i own, and can use the advantages... Plasmonic? Generate? Zebra (i won't say it....)....
Zebra 3 of course... whenever it arrives.

In the short term, Ace, Diva, Hive, Bazille and RePro will all end up as CLAP with PolyMod.
i didn't want to mention Zebra.... 3... well you know...

Bazille is still on my wishlist.

it seems Madronalabs has interest in CLAP, but development is quite slow, lot of plans... so..

of the brands mentioned on the u-he site, well for plugins i don't have a lot, except arturia... plogue bidule.. vital, ready mentioned.

well, it is just here. o i have Reaper... considering what they implement, almost everything.. well, also a suprise what they will offer.

WasteLand wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:43 pm
i don't have a lot, only 2 CLAP plugins, o yes PaulXStretch. but Surge, will come, and Vital (paid), but both aren't fully 'CLAP', or in the way of poly-mod,
Maybe I mis understand but surge clap fully supports all the polyphonic modulation and note expression gestures and messages in the clap api. If it doesn’t that’s a bug!

baconpaul wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:13 pm
WasteLand wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:43 pm
i don't have a lot, only 2 CLAP plugins, o yes PaulXStretch. but Surge, will come, and Vital (paid), but both aren't fully 'CLAP', or in the way of poly-mod,
Maybe I mis understand but surge clap fully supports all the polyphonic modulation and note expression gestures and messages in the clap api. If it doesn’t that’s a bug!
ow, my bad. there is only a nightly. that is what i meant. and this moment i can't check it, because well i wiil wait for a good moment to activate the bitwig upgrade plan.
i must.. too much i have to keep up to date, if i keep everything up to date...

is there a user reference for the different kind of poly mods: channel, note, voice and the fourth...

i can of course check github. but it is more, i quoted you, in which clap thread.. about the four ways. it is interesting for me, as an end user. i know when i learn some things about the under the hood techniques a plugin uses, although it sometimes oiut of my league, i am an algoritmic poet... not a dev..

my C was at some point, well not bad, but totally forgotten about how structures work, but i can still follow it.

so surge xt is fully functional even the modulation... mmmhhh tempting.

o yes, my memory, you are one of the devs of surge.. sorry...

note expressions gestures is new for me...

i think i will sooner activate my bitwig plan, surge xt, well, great. in my case it will result in structured mayem...

thanks, for your response!

and i shall try to convince another developer to make a CLAP version, i think for the plugin, can't talk about it can give a lot.

for DAWs that don't have the modulators as bitwig has, can there be plugins, in clap, that can modulate clap plugins?

WasteLand wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:09 pm
i didn't want to mention Zebra.... 3... well you know...

Bazille is still on my wishlist.
I'm so looking forward to CLAP Bazille...

There will be many new possibilities for my favorite synth!!

WasteLand wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:42 pm

for DAWs that don't have the modulators as bitwig has, can there be plugins, in clap, that can modulate clap plugins?
There is no DAW like Bitwig...

and the CLAP plugin cannot talk to other plugin without the help of the host. Not for PolyMod I mean.
Last edited by pdxindy on Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

The main goal right now are not the plug-in developers but all major DAWs to start supporting CLAP. So the plug-in devs can start to abandon VST support entirely. Thats how i see it.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:26 pm
Dionysos wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:08 pm I guess trying to argue with someone who wrote a sentence as meaningful as "I feel like it's a bit DOA for the moment" was a fool's errand from the beginning.
Some people like to take the opposite position of something that is generating excitement. Obviously CLAP is not DOA as the initial interest in it from developers has exceeded expectations. CLAP is off to a great start.
What I read since years from developers make me rather think VST3 was DOA... Feels now like riding a dead horse...

Enrize wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:27 am The main goal right now are not the plug-in developers but all major DAWs to start supporting CLAP. So the plug-in devs can start to abandon VST support entirely. Thats how i see it.
While it would be great if DAWs supported CLAP, Urs and I and others have shared a view here that there's other motivations. Obviously to get the end-user features you need DAW support for things like polymod, but having CLAP as a sort of maximally expressive, license unencumbered, open, simple standard that you can use as your core dev approach, and then project into the other standards (obviously turning off features), is a big advantage from a license and workflow perspective for many devs.

Enrize wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:27 am The main goal right now are not the plug-in developers but all major DAWs to start supporting CLAP. So the plug-in devs can start to abandon VST support entirely. Thats how i see it.
Nah.

CLAP (plus appropriate "palcers") makes for a solid multi-format SDK with a powerful core feature set that far exceeds what VST2 could provide, and porting a VST2-first plugin to CLAP is far easier than porting it to one of the competing SDKs. These are CLAP's biggest strengths right now. The new plugin format is a bonus, and an investment that will pay off much later.
I hate signatures too.

What both of you say.

Plus, because certain formats were always somewhat closed source or encumbered with license issues, there aren't really that great many of examples out there. I'm fairly sure that we'll have example plug-ins for CLAP which will be great starting points for plug-in development, including cross-platform UI toolkits that directly render to Metal or Vulcan. And those will be absolutely free and one click downloads that get one started in a few minutes.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:54 pm
WasteLand wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:42 pm

There is no DAW like Bitwig...

and the CLAP plugin cannot talk to other plugin without the help of the host. Not for PolyMod I mean.
i think that it can be possible, because well it is possible. i can't find real documentation for vst...
this is more an end-user, or simply an end-user example i found with google search:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... -workflows

MMultiAnalyzer can do it also...

or perhaps, the host as also a part in this inter-plug-in communication, i can only find threads about this question, with no real or full answer. how to do this, for plugins that are different plugins (perhaps from the same developer, it can be done? with shared, etc.)

so, i thought, vst (and other formats, perhaps, or not perhaps) can communicate, so to say, with eachother, yes, perhaps only if they are the same... plugin.... (shared memory, etc.).

well this isn't a clear post... sorry....

EDIT: so you can be right, that only the same plugins can do it, not different plugins.

EDIT 2: a CLAP wrapper for (a) CLAP plugins would solve it, that could do Poly mod, for instance...

One nice thing I've just found out about CLAP is Bitwig device maps made for them are finally sensibly named (at least for Surge XT) - which I presume is a by product of the plugin ID being sensibly named rather than a random string of numbers and letters as in VST 2 and 3 plugins.

I guess it needs both, as sensibly named isn’t necessarily unique… The number would also allow to seemingly replace VST versions with CLAP…

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”