CLAP... thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SeBaer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:00 am
crickey13 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 am [...] ask why DAWs have horizontal layouts instead of vertical [...]
Ooooh, haven't you heard of MOD-trackers?

SCNR

:hihi:

I don't think that this idea is too weird or very old-school. I developed several tracker in the past and was used to scrolling downwards for the timeline. It was never clear to me why the piano-roll in DAWs was not rotated by 90 degrees - just in the way like the keys of a real piano are arranged. Maybe because there is more space in the X-axis? :ud:

Renoise seems to be doing quite fine and it's scrolling vertically.

Referring back to the topic title, I’d like to express my somewhat selfish thoughts on CLAP.

If CLAP didn’t happen, it’s possible the time Uhe and crew spent on it, could’ve been better utilized at getting the Uhbik plug-ins (and others) out the door faster. Like I said… selfish reasons. Nothing to do with the technical concept of CLAP.
On a number of Macs

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 pm I don't think that this idea is too weird or very old-school. I developed several tracker in the past and was used to scrolling downwards for the timeline. It was never clear to me why the piano-roll in DAWs was not rotated by 90 degrees - just in the way like the keys of a real piano are arranged. Maybe because there is more space in the X-axis? :ud:
In the world of industrial design, the concept is sometimes referred to as “mapping”. That and probably more room on the X-axis :wink:
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:24 am Referring back to the topic title, I’d like to express my somewhat selfish thoughts on CLAP.

If CLAP didn’t happen, it’s possible the time Uhe and crew spent on it, could’ve been better utilized at getting the Uhbik plug-ins (and others) out the door faster. Like I said… selfish reasons. Nothing to do with the technical concept of CLAP.
not sure how that's on topic. if ppl weren't working on this, they could spend more time with: families, netflix. drinking. sleeping. anything. everything.

but this is what they've chosen to do, and we should (i think) support anyone who tries to improve our tools...

fisherKing wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:30 am
Weasel-Boy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:24 am Referring back to the topic title, I’d like to express my somewhat selfish thoughts on CLAP.

not sure how that's on topic. if ppl weren't working on this, they could spend more time with: families, netflix. drinking. sleeping. anything. everything.

but this is what they've chosen to do, and we should (i think) support anyone who tries to improve our tools...
You do realize what I wrote shouldn’t be taken too seriously, right? I mean…it does say “thoughts”?
On a number of Macs

edit: replied before I saw the post above this, ok, I don't take it seriously then. :hihi:

fisherKing wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:23 pm don't hold your breath. that's like wishing for a microsoft/apple merger (well, maybe in a hundred years).
This was probably as close as we’re gonna get.

Applesoft BASIC
Stormchild

I also use Renoise and dig the vertical workflow for specific purposes, that was not the point at all. Chill. :wink:

Musical notation reads left to right, I imagine that's why most timelines follow that format?

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I re-installed Uhbik last night and noticed the disclaimer about the VST3 still being in an experimental stage, citing issues with porting it over from VST2.4, which is exactly one of the problems CLAP has been developed to overcome. It's quite possible, although in a slightly roundabout way, that CLAP will actually help you realise your own selfish ends, not hinder them :D
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:42 am

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I re-installed Uhbik last night and noticed the disclaimer about the VST3 still being in an experimental stage, citing issues with porting it over from VST2.4, which is exactly one of the problems CLAP has been developed to overcome. It's quite possible, although in a slightly roundabout way, that CLAP will actually help you realise your own selfish ends, not hinder them :D
I sure hope so.
On a number of Macs

_morton_ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:23 am Musical notation reads left to right, I imagine that's why most timelines follow that format?
That’s mapping, right there.
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:46 am
PieBerger wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:42 am

I sure hope so.
Well it's reasonable to assume that Urs wouldn't waste time on CLAP if wasn't in his interest to do so. Maybe it will be a bit painful with some delays in the short term, but it's worth it, if future development/support is smoother in the long term.
Always Read the Manual!

Return to “Instruments”