CLAP... thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rollasoc wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:23 pm So essentially a load of developers will code for CLAP and then wrap the CLAP code in a VST3 wrapper to apease the Steinberg overlords.

How much latency will this wrapper approach add?
well, the majority of vst3 instruments available at present, are ports from other formats, in a vst3 wrapper.
au's are wrapped vsts or vice versa.
or juce wrapped in vst....

it should just be the same really.

Held wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:25 pm
rollasoc wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:23 pm So essentially a load of developers will code for CLAP and then wrap the CLAP code in a VST3 wrapper to apease the Steinberg overlords.

How much latency will this wrapper approach add?
Since this happens at compile time, none I would assume.
Wrappers don't add latency - neither compile-time nor runtime ones. They may potentially add some processing overhead but that has nothing to do with I/O latency. And any processing overhead will probably be negligible anyway. Also, none of this has necessarily much to do with the question if the wrapping happens and runtime or compile time - and both approaches are technically possible. A compile-time wrapper can potentially give you less overhead (or even none at all) but whether or not that is actually the case really depends on the specific implementation(s) and even on the compiler settings used to build the binary.
Last edited by Music Engineer on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Just got a CLAP prototype of the blooo running and beeping in Bitwig 4.3. Needs some testing though... anyway, good stuff! :tu:

Full Bucket wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:23 pm Just got a CLAP prototype of the blooo running and beeping in Bitwig 4.3. Needs some testing though... anyway, good stuff! :tu:
Awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

:tu:

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 pm I don't think that this idea is too weird or very old-school. I developed several tracker in the past and was used to scrolling downwards for the timeline. It was never clear to me why the piano-roll in DAWs was not rotated by 90 degrees - just in the way like the keys of a real piano are arranged. Maybe because there is more space in the X-axis? :ud:
Or why don't they just call it an "accordion roll" when it's horizontal? That would settle it once and for all! :D

Winstontaneous wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:13 pm
Markus Krause wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 pm I don't think that this idea is too weird or very old-school. I developed several tracker in the past and was used to scrolling downwards for the timeline. It was never clear to me why the piano-roll in DAWs was not rotated by 90 degrees - just in the way like the keys of a real piano are arranged. Maybe because there is more space in the X-axis? :ud:
Or why don't they just call it an "accordion roll" when it's horizontal? That would settle it once and for all! :D
an "accordion roll"... is that anything like a spring roll?

my first introduction to a sequencer was my brother's roland mc50 mk2; what a great thing that was. it had a one-line window, so each next note showed up there (with velocity etc info) ie... vertical scrolling. and it made sense.

but most DAWs seem to a: take advantage of the width of a screen, and b: move the way sheet music (which i've never used) moves. and being able to zoom out and see an entire arrangement is awesome.

also (am confused about this), i play my keyboard horizontally; is that weird? tonight i will try your idea about 'vertical'... :D

The much easier explanation is the relation to classical notation. The timeline is horizontal and has been since many centuries. Trackers are invented by nerds with no formal musical education…; - )

CLAP casually mentioned by Microsoft's Pete Brown in this article here.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:20 am CLAP casually mentioned by Microsoft's Pete Brown in this article here.
Funny, he mentions VST, RTAS and CLAP. He does not know that RTAS is abandoned and does not mention AAX which replaced RTAS. I doubt that you can get an ancient 32-bit ProTools running in Windows ARM, or that anybody would even bother to try…
CLAP arrived in the clueless mainstream even before AAX did…

This guy is far from clueless (opposed to others as it seems)

This being the CLAP thread in the instrument forum, it looks like TAL is starting to create CLAP plugins with TAL U-No-LX v4.60 being the first instrument across the line. However, there doesn't appear to be any polyphonic modulation capabilities as of yet. I'm sure all of that will take time, but figured I'd mention it here.

I read something from BaconPaul on another forum that indicates this might not take so long. That's how I read it anyway, but of course that doesn't mean much. ;)

Anyway, I like TAL a lot, tho I still haven't bought any of their things, just used some free ones. I can imagine their simpler synths getting taken to the next level by the poly-mod features. :)

Andreya_Autumn wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:42 pm I can imagine their simpler synths getting taken to the next level by the poly-mod features. :)
I was musing recently that developers may start getting a little light with modulation sources/capabilities in their synths and begin saying things like, "hey, if you want more modulation, use the CLAP version in Bitwig..." :hihi:

...That wouldn't really happen though right? :?:

I'd certainly think not. :) In some future where every major DAW includes parameter modulators and CLAP support, sure. But we got a ways to go before then.

Return to “Instruments”