Johnson & Ratwell [modular microtuned stomp] - Electro / sort of Dance

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
636 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:12 am

hi all,
this is more an experiment as a proper track
a modular synth meets a microtuning unit which meets a drum sampler...
that's it

maybe someone enjoys it :P :D
have a nice day!

https://soundcloud.com/treib-haus-81860 ... uned-stomp
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
ChameleonMusic
KVRAF
1576 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:37 am

Had a couple of listens...

I think it works very well!

Great energy and it all syncs together very effectively...good combo of fast moving and more sustained parts.

Maybe the detuning / micro tuning might bother some listeners, but I enjoyed it as an extra little bit of textural detail in the soundscape.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Rene Asologuitar
KVRist
353 posts since 2 Apr, 2022

Post Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:07 pm

This beat is so refreshing, and the melody is so hip.
I can imagine this music inside a very modern pub or club.
Very nicely put together.
Very original, and very modern!!!
Thanks for this inspiration.
Rene

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
636 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:58 am

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:07 pm This beat is so refreshing, and the melody is so hip.
I can imagine this music inside a very modern pub or club.
Very nicely put together.
Very original, and very modern!!!
Thanks for this inspiration.
Rene
Hi Rene, thanks for listening. (Tbh i have never been in any club :D - i just do that music which comes to my mind or i am temporarily interested.)
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
636 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:01 am

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:37 am Had a couple of listens...

I think it works very well!

Great energy and it all syncs together very effectively...good combo of fast moving and more sustained parts.

Maybe the detuning / micro tuning might bother some listeners, but I enjoyed it as an extra little bit of textural detail in the soundscape.
Hi Mark, thanks for listening. I would be interested what "tonality" did you hear? (I know you have perfect pitch). Btw the tuning is "Johnson Ratwell" - but i have no idea who that is. First i tried some tuning which i am familiar with (like Kirnberger 1-3, or Werkmeister, or Meantone). But those organ tunings sounded totally aweful in that context :D
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
ChameleonMusic
KVRAF
1576 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:39 am

tomtom1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:01 am
ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:37 am Had a couple of listens...

I think it works very well!

Great energy and it all syncs together very effectively...good combo of fast moving and more sustained parts.

Maybe the detuning / micro tuning might bother some listeners, but I enjoyed it as an extra little bit of textural detail in the soundscape.
Hi Mark, thanks for listening. I would be interested what "tonality" did you hear? (I know you have perfect pitch). Btw the tuning is "Johnson Ratwell" - but i have no idea who that is. First i tried some tuning which i am familiar with (like Kirnberger 1-3, or Werkmeister, or Meantone). But those organ tunings sounded totally aweful in that context :D
the tuning is "Johnson Ratwell" - nope, means nothing to me either; never heard of that one!

I would be interested what "tonality" did you hear?

Now there's an interesting question...I'll have another listen...

I know it's all micro-tonal etc, but I get this from it:

1) a couple of sections based around key centre of D (with a Blues scale edge to it all?)

Interestingly - these sections I can't decide whether it's more Major or minor? :oops: :dog:

2) Other bits come across strongly as based around E minor (again with a Blues scale vibe?)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
95282 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:35 am

tomtom1 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:12 am

maybe someone enjoys it :P :D
have a nice day!

ooh looks whos gone modular! :hihi:

the real question when it comes to modular, isnt, did we enjoy the composition, the question is "did you enjoy the process of live tweakering!!!?"

although, the composition is as always, a good listening experience, whatever the tools, a good musician makes them work :D
we're all mad here! im mad, youre mad, everybody is mad!!

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
10770 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:36 pm

ChameleonMusic wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:39 am
the tuning is "Johnson Ratwell" - nope, means nothing to me either; never heard of that one!
This may be relevant:-

https://yahootuninggroupsultimatebackup ... 66654.html

I think ratwell used here is an amalgam, and not some dude's name. Johnson seems to be the originator.

User avatar
ChameleonMusic
KVRAF
1576 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:39 pm

seismic1 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:36 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:39 am
the tuning is "Johnson Ratwell" - nope, means nothing to me either; never heard of that one!
This may be relevant:-

https://yahootuninggroupsultimatebackup ... 66654.html

I think ratwell used here is an amalgam, and not some dude's name. Johnson seems to be the originator.
Interesting - thanks Tim.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
10770 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:05 pm

This was an interesting piece of electro/techno, which I imagine could be played in clubs at approximately the same time as the drugs kick in (or so I've been led to believe) :wink:

Good work :)

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
636 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:34 am

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:35 am
tomtom1 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:12 am

maybe someone enjoys it :P :D
have a nice day!

ooh looks whos gone modular! :hihi:

the real question when it comes to modular, isnt, did we enjoy the composition, the question is "did you enjoy the process of live tweakering!!!?"

although, the composition is as always, a good listening experience, whatever the tools, a good musician makes them work :D
Hello John,
thanks for listening.
well, it's just a wee bit modular compared to what you're doing. All quite limited but to get to know quite well (look the picture :D).Thanks a lot for listening!
complex.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
636 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:37 am

seismic1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:05 pm This was an interesting piece of electro/techno, which I imagine could be played in clubs at approximately the same time as the drugs kick in (or so I've been led to believe) :wink:

Good work :)
What? No.... Drugs in the club? That's a legend :rofl: ...

Thanks for listening and thanks for the hints of the tuning. I've looked up for some information but didn't find anything by myself.
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
636 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:41 am

ChameleonMusic wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:39 am
tomtom1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:01 am
ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:37 am Had a couple of listens...

I think it works very well!

Great energy and it all syncs together very effectively...good combo of fast moving and more sustained parts.

Maybe the detuning / micro tuning might bother some listeners, but I enjoyed it as an extra little bit of textural detail in the soundscape.
Hi Mark, thanks for listening. I would be interested what "tonality" did you hear? (I know you have perfect pitch). Btw the tuning is "Johnson Ratwell" - but i have no idea who that is. First i tried some tuning which i am familiar with (like Kirnberger 1-3, or Werkmeister, or Meantone). But those organ tunings sounded totally aweful in that context :D
the tuning is "Johnson Ratwell" - nope, means nothing to me either; never heard of that one!

I would be interested what "tonality" did you hear?

Now there's an interesting question...I'll have another listen...

I know it's all micro-tonal etc, but I get this from it:

1) a couple of sections based around key centre of D (with a Blues scale edge to it all?)

Interestingly - these sections I can't decide whether it's more Major or minor? :oops: :dog:

2) Other bits come across strongly as based around E minor (again with a Blues scale vibe?)
Thanks for the reply. Key centre of D? Well, that's interesting. Actually I tried to push the "harmonies" in the direction of C somehow.

Ah and yes, e-minor i feel, too. The blues scale was not intended, but probably resulted from the tuning and the tones that were still "bearable" when improvising. My used DAW isn't really made for microtuning.
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Return to “Music Cafe”