AI plugin uses neural networks to generate infinite drum samples - feedback welcome

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

I'm an AI/ML researcher and engineer building tools for producers. This is my first post to KVR - thank you for having me.

I trained a neural network to generate infinite, novel drum samples, and a few months ago released it as a web-based tool called "Synapse Drums".

We've had a great response, and so we're building a AU/VST version and releasing it soon. It's currently in closed beta, but I'd like to extend an invite to the KVR community.

BETA DOWNLOAD (this link will skip the waitlist and auto-accept you into the beta):

https://beta.audialab.com/?inviteCode=I ... SOUNDS_KVR

Random Tidbits

- The underlying neural network is a GAN (Generative Adversarial Network) where, during training, two networks face off in a game (game theory sense) where one (the generator) tries to fool the other (discriminator) by mocking up increasingly hi-fi samples from the training data. :borg:

- I trained on tens of thousands of sounds from all genres of music, along with some interesting one-shots.

- The plugin is written in JUCE and we have both a MAC and Windows build in AU and VST formats. Still looking into AAX and haven't looked at CLAP yet.

Would appreciate any feedback. We're a small team (3 of us) and we've been working on all of this for over a year. We hope to do a full launch in a few weeks.

thanks all - looking forward to connecting with all of you

berkeley

ai_music_guy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:04 pm Hey all,

I'm an AI/ML researcher and engineer building tools for producers. This is my first post to KVR - thank you for having me.

I trained a neural network to generate infinite, novel drum samples, and a few months ago released it as a web-based tool called "Synapse Drums".

We've had a great response, and so we're building a AU/VST version and releasing it soon. It's currently in closed beta, but I'd like to extend an invite to the KVR community.

BETA DOWNLOAD (this link will skip the waitlist and auto-accept you into the beta):

https://beta.audialab.com/?inviteCode=I ... SOUNDS_KVR

Random Tidbits

- The underlying neural network is a GAN (Generative Adversarial Network) where, during training, two networks face off in a game (game theory sense) where one (the generator) tries to fool the other (discriminator) by mocking up increasingly hi-fi samples from the training data. :borg:

- I trained on tens of thousands of sounds from all genres of music, along with some interesting one-shots.

- The plugin is written in JUCE and we have both a MAC and Windows build in AU and VST formats. Still looking into AAX and haven't looked at CLAP yet.

Would appreciate any feedback. We're a small team (3 of us) and we've been working on all of this for over a year. We hope to do a full launch in a few weeks.

thanks all - looking forward to connecting with all of you

berkeley
This is a really interesting idea. I have to admit I am not much into sampling at all but as there are more and more drum engines where you can use your own samples with not much hazzle this could be a perfect addition to this (and to downloading thousands of drum samples....). And I am always looking for some interesting drum/perc sounds for some ambient stuff so would be really great if this could produce something like this.

Tried this out, and absolutely incredible for experimental music. A lot of these are sounds that I haven't heard in anything before. +1

tatanka wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:12 pm This is a really interesting idea. I have to admit I am not much into sampling at all but as there are more and more drum engines where you can use your own samples with not much hazzle this could be a perfect addition to this (and to downloading thousands of drum samples....). And I am always looking for some interesting drum/perc sounds for some ambient stuff so would be really great if this could produce something like this.
Thank you! And totally, great point. We have a bunch of people in our discord that use the plugin this way - to generate interesting, funky sounds/texture to make their songs more engaging. I think you will really like the plugin for this. Pls let me know what you think

berkeley

EDIT: Whoops, double post

AstraMP3 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:20 pm Tried this out, and absolutely incredible for experimental music. A lot of these are sounds that I haven't heard in anything before. +1
Wow, thank you! Really happy that you're enjoying it!

Tried to register, but even after doing it again I'm not getting an email?!

Edit, ok tried another email and it works there

interesting, and enjoyed exploring it. maybe not something i need (my work is pretty 'mainstream'), but it's worth checking out. good luck w/it

dermage wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 pm Tried to register, but even after doing it again I'm not getting an email?!

Ok great, I'm glad it eventually worked. If you have a chance, can you DM me the email you tried? Just want to check if there's any bug

fisherKing wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:50 pm interesting, and enjoyed exploring it. maybe not something i need (my work is pretty 'mainstream'), but it's worth checking out. good luck w/it
Thanks for checking it out ✊🏼

hard to tell from the download vst3 as it is such a primitive interface - nothing at all like shown in the image above. Or is there some setting I am not seeing?

fairlyclose wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:29 pm hard to tell from the download vst3 as it is such a primitive interface - nothing at all like shown in the image above. Or is there some setting I am not seeing?
No, you're correct - the design work isn't complete yet. The closed-beta version will continue to approach the design shown above. That said, I just bumped up the version we send out on sign up - it improves the UI a lot. And the upcoming build will improve things further.

I'll PM you.

it crashes Renoise :?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

ai_music_guy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 pm
dermage wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 pm Tried to register, but even after doing it again I'm not getting an email?!

Ok great, I'm glad it eventually worked. If you have a chance, can you DM me the email you tried? Just want to check if there's any bug
It has now arrived, after an hour or so. Maybe it was because of anti spam measures (Greylisting), although I don't have that problem usually.

Anyway, feedback on the plugin itself:

This is a good promising idea, which hasn't been done before. But obviously the interface is lacking control. What I think this product needs is:
- ADSR/sample controls not by clicking the icon, but visible for each element all the time
- ability to save a sample as wave / export to DAW by drag'n'drop
- ability to save single sample as preset within the plugin for later use
- save whole drumset as preset
- ability to generate samples based on a sample (variations)
of course later you can add things like slop / humanization to prevent the machine gun effect. eg. change the sample a little bit on each hit.

When you have these features it is a good distinct product already which can be built upon.

martiu wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:15 pm it crashes Renoise :?
Oh crap. Are you open to helping us debug this? I'll PM you if you dont mind.

Return to “Instruments”