The Studio Log - What Did You Do In The Studio

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spent Saturday messing around with a vst synth I bought a year ago -Flow Motion. Bought it thinking it was the ultimate FM synth and spent so much time listening to the presets that when I tried to use it it immediately did things I had no idea about.
Time to read the manual- I can understand why this never became popular- too many options!
Was looking to plug a sound into a track I was making, but I realized what I needed was a bass from my Korg so I made a bassline with the Prologue and it sounds creamy like it should. Was that a whole day?

Spent much of yesterday learning my new Squarp Pyramid. This thing is way deeper than I had expected :cool:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Constructed Identity wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:35 am Spent Saturday messing around with a vst synth I bought a year ago -Flow Motion. Bought it thinking it was the ultimate FM synth and spent so much time listening to the presets that when I tried to use it it immediately did things I had no idea about.
Time to read the manual- I can understand why this never became popular- too many options!
Was looking to plug a sound into a track I was making, but I realized what I needed was a bass from my Korg so I made a bassline with the Prologue and it sounds creamy like it should. Was that a whole day?
With FM soft synths I find they never really come alive to play with until you map the operator ratios and mix levels to something tangible in the real world like faders via MIDI (or CV if you're lucky) and it becomes a lot more intuitive when you can control more than one thing at once.

I have a 16n Faderbank and it's perfect for that sort of thing.

Even find basic iPad FM apps like KQ Dixie are way nicer to play with than dragging mice around I feel.

That said, I have Flow Motion and it's kind of FM/PM hybrid thing with hundreds of options so maybe not the best example for hardware control.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

a more successful feedback loop.
used morphagene this time too, not playing all the time, but occasionally bringing in some "cthulhu acolyte chants" to float around the loop a bit.

This is where I have my work setup too, after posting a new version of a tune onto Soundcloud I fired the work desktop up and I'm at work.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Moe Shinola wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:47 pm This is where I have my work setup too, after posting a new version of a tune onto Soundcloud I fired the work desktop up and I'm at work.
Yep, same. During the dullest work Zoom meetings I occasionally play guitar or keys (with the mic on mute obviously). If they’re not on time “Tired of Waiting” gets an airing.

Are you safe?

Not sure if this was a good thing, but broke out the Korg SP-64 and Volca Sample 1 and decided to get it setup.

This was frustrating all because I didn’t realize that in order to send separate MIDI channels via the (D) Drum sub tracks, D needs to be set to “——“ no channel, then the sub tracks will send out on their assigned MIDI channels.

I didn’t realize there were two places that needed changes. I’m sure this “feature” makes sense in some context, but I can’t figure that out.

I don’t really use the Sample anymore, but I guess if I do now it’ll be easier to work with.

Downloaded and messed with some new Tonex captures. I continue to be impressed. So many good tones for my style of playing.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:59 pm Downloaded and messed with some new Tonex captures. I continue to be impressed. So many good tones for my style of playing.
tonex or as i call it "autotone". real guitarists break their backs carrying giant cabinet speakers, they don't cheat with robot ai pooter stuff. :P
Last edited by vurt on Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:05 pm
Bombadil wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:59 pm Downloaded and messed with some new Tonex captures. I continue to be impressed. So many good tones for my style of playing.
tonex or as i call it "autotone". real guitarists break their backs carrying giant cabinet speakers, they don't chest with robot ai pooter stuff. :P
Bite me! :P
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

:lol:

Put back on the black face plates for Maths and Function. Removed Fold Processor, then put it back because I promised myself I’d use it this time.

Made a fun patch with XPO, Mindphaser and Plaits using the Chromatics as utilities. Nothing record worthy but just fun.

Got the SQ64 running with Digitakt and the modular rack.
This is working better than expected, but I just need to get over the menus.
It’s quirky.

I made noise so today was a success.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 pm Yep, same. During the dullest work Zoom meetings I occasionally play guitar or keys (with the mic on mute obviously). If they’re not on time “Tired of Waiting” gets an airing.
During the early days of lockdown I was in a big team meeting (most people with their cameras off) when there was this big blast of ambient 'wash' with a few sword-like noises, grunts etc. Guessing someone playing Skyrim or something... :)

GaryG wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:02 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 pm Yep, same. During the dullest work Zoom meetings I occasionally play guitar or keys (with the mic on mute obviously). If they’re not on time “Tired of Waiting” gets an airing.
During the early days of lockdown I was in a big team meeting (most people with their cameras off) when there was this big blast of ambient 'wash' with a few sword-like noises, grunts etc. Guessing someone playing Skyrim or something... :)
:lol:

Are you safe?

Yesterday’s log:

Added SSF Solid Stage Gate and setup a patch with XPO, mono out to SSG and Milky Way, stereo out to QPAS, and Mimeophon with modulation on the stereo signal.

Still using KORG SQ64 (still need to figure how to save) and this time Syntakt.

Having fun, nothing record worthy.

Going to take a deep dive and have this as the primary setup I think. SQ64 is just a bit odd, but I’ll get it soon enough.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”