CLAP is a terrible name for a plugin format (and other general complaints about it)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would have gone with “STD” for “standard” plugin format. The new STD all artists want! But, I kinda like CLAP too, so win win for me.

It’s kind of marketing genius. It’s remarkable.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

:lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Since it’s inventor is french anyway, shouldn’t it have been called LCAP - “Le Clever Audio Plugin”?

Is "clever" the best adjective?

I vote for "crafty."
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Searching "CLAP Plugin" shows many "hand clap" plugins.
I think more unique name is better.
All other name of current formats AAX, VST, AU, LV2 don't have this problem.

fese wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:17 am Since it’s inventor is french anyway, shouldn’t it have been called LCAP - “Le Clever Audio Plugin”?
Freedom VST

DNnX wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:57 am Searching "CLAP Plugin" shows many "hand clap" plugins.
Interesting point.

DNnX wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:57 am Searching "CLAP Plugin" shows many "hand clap" plugins.
When I google "Clap Plugin" out of the first 7 results on page 1, 5 are for Clap the format, including the #1 result and not including a bunch of video links. 2 of the 7 top results are for "handclap" plugins. Pretty good for a format that's only 10 days old.

I feel bad for the makers of hand clap plugins as they drop down the search results. They are the true victims of this!

how about penicillin?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

SNARE has more punch
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:26 am
When I google "Clap Plugin" out of the first 7 results on page 1, 5 are for Clap the format, including the #1 result and not including a bunch of video links. 2 of the 7 top results are for "handclap" plugins. Pretty good for a format that's only 10 days old.

I feel bad for the makers of hand clap plugins as they drop down the search results. They are the true victims of this!
Top/Obvious results are never the issue with this kind of thing. As I've said in the other thread, I've been searching for R topics for years. You run into it in more subtle searches where the ambiguity really gets in the way. Citing what you can find now is not a refutation of this. No matter how much you want to defend it, it would have been better to give the format a less ambiguous acronym, particularly one that isn't a common word in the audio domain.

The STD jokes are juvenile, and will continue to be juvenile.

Diverse Audio Function Technology?
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

So, everybody realizes that clap is synonymous with gonorrhea and we’re going ahead with it anyway? Cool… I guess?

guitarzan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:04 am So, everybody realizes that clap is synonymous with gonorrhea and we’re going ahead with it anyway? Cool… I guess?

You're late to the party :party:
1. CLAP is an STD
2. STD is short for Standard
3. Plug is a synonym for anal sex
4. We want CLAP to infect all plug-ins, until it becomes the Standard.
That has been the Master Plan from the Beginning.
It's beyond cool . . .
:hug:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

guitarzan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:04 am So, everybody realizes that clap is synonymous with gonorrhea and we’re going ahead with it anyway? Cool… I guess?
Honestly, who cares? At least everyone’s talking about it
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”