Guitar Multieffect Units

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So my second issue is that it should have separate volume controls for the unit and the usb line in.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

That's not a cheap rig. I'd look at it, but I don't need/want amp sims. I've got plenty.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:46 am That's not a cheap rig. I'd look at it, but I don't need/want amp sims. I've got plenty.
It's cheaper than 2k

The ones I tried in the past that were cheap were trash. Zoom G(whatever) Korg Pandora Digitech
I looked into getting a newer THR (II) but it was more of the same with no distortion pedals and the amp sim selection was weak.

Like I said before after getting my guitar worked on which now has 19 way switching and great tone from every position I thought it deserved a better signal chain. Playing rock standards is always more enjoyable to me when I get the sound right.

I'm still going through all the presets while also collecting custom ones. Way back when I had a website devoted to famous sounds called... ToneBlocks.com where I'd detail famous rigs. Line6 came out with Tone Templates and killed all my hard work.
https://line6.com/tone-templates/

I'm less ambitious these days. I'd rather have someone else build patches
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Cool. Enjoy!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Sweetwater is offering this MXR/Dunlop bundle
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... dal-bundle

OR you could get a Helix.

Magic Russ wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:06 pm Sweetwater is offering this MXR/Dunlop bundle

$55 savings as opposed to buying them separately for $1624 (3.3% discount). Not exactly in the running for best bundle ever.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Another analog multieffect pedal
https://youtu.be/qOuAS6Dggfw

Ouch £475!

I always quite liked the Classic Wah and I have a (sadly) hamstrung Tel-Ray Rotating Wah which is pretty nice (despite some philistine removing the rotating part). Apart from that that Morley FX generally seem to vary between OK and poor.

Thinking somewhat, of getting a ZZOMBEE FILTREMULATOR from Beetronics.

https://www.beetronicsfx.com/products/z ... tremulator

Magic Russ wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:06 pm Sweetwater is offering this MXR/Dunlop bundle

I just went through a bunch of pedals from EHX, Walrus and Gamechanger and sent them all back. HX Stomp XL sounded better to me and included Helix Native and the expansions.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Fractal FM3. I used it quite a bit, but once you start going more analog (particularly tubes), it's hard to go back. I'm enjoying the UA line of amps in a pedal format... no tubes, but frig they sound good... excellent emulation that exceeds the FM3. My favorite amp on the FM3 is the Diezel Herbert (for dirty stuff, at least)... I bought that Diezel pedal and now run it through my Rivera tube amp.

CoolGuitarGear wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:14 pm Fractal FM3. I used it quite a bit, but once you start going more analog (particularly tubes), it's hard to go back. I'm enjoying the UA line of amps in a pedal format... no tubes, but frig they sound good... excellent emulation that exceeds the FM3. My favorite amp on the FM3 is the Diezel Herbert (for dirty stuff, at least)... I bought that Diezel pedal and now run it through my Rivera tube amp.
The thing about the Fractal boxes are that the emulations are a bit idealized, and the cabinet IRs aren’t all that great. The emulations can definitely benefit from some deeper tweaking, and a set of good third party IRs will give you a lot more realistic sound. For instance, I never thought the Fender models sounded much like Fender amps on my AxeFX 3, until I loaded up a few Ownhammer IRs. It’s a bit ridiculous that after spending as much as they charge for those things that you have to shell out a bit more for better IRs, but that was my experience. Don’t be afraid to dig in deeper. One of my favorite things to tweak were the most mic preamp emulation settings. A little bit of grit there could often take a sound to the next level.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

CoolGuitarGear wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:14 pm I bought that Diezel pedal and now run it through my Rivera tube amp.
Diezel pedal sounds better than FM3?

Recently just picked up an H90. You're limited to basically two algorithms at a time, but that hasn't been too big of an issue for me yet. If you're already an Anthology/H9 series owner, you're probably familiar with the sound/quality. For bread and butter FX (reverb, delay, modulation), I don't think they're consistently as great as the absolute best plugins, but they're consistently high quality to great and there's some unique stuff. There are some cool pitch FX and some other more typical algorithms that don't have plugin versions yet, but you get a general idea of the quality from the Eventide plugins. I hope some of the new pitch algorithms, along with their new Bouquet and Headspace delays get ported to plugins. Oh, and the Wormhole algorithm. On the flip side, it lacks a standalone compressor (odd omission), gate, and filter FX. So it's not perfect.

The Editor software is great and makes editing the pedal feel like working with a pedal, and the live performance/macro controls are very nice and make for a great realtime experience. The routing features are above average too, allowing you to have mono or stereo inserts that you can place anywhere in the chain (e.g. have an amp sim in insert 1 and you can move FX pre/post amp sim, throw a delay effect in insert 2, and you can move that around too). It can convert between instrument and line levels, saving you the need for a DI box. Just really well thought out and well done. Better be for the price!

I just ordered a Quad Cortex from Finland and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Super stoked.

I was mulling a lot of things for a long time. As it goes, my price range kept going up. I own two Magicstomps and really love the broad use cases and secret weapon factor, which had me eyeing the H90 because it's probably the closest conceptually.

But that's $1000+ where I live and it's not exactly a standalone unit, so I started looking at ways to get my guitar into a fx-ready form and also be able to play through headphones.

I figured a Tonex would do, then became more and more bothered by the lack of effects loop. If I get a tonex and a H90 I spent a ton of money but can't even play my fancy effects over headphones.

So I tried to go cheaper than that combo but more complete. Looked at the GT1000core vs. HX Stomp XL, never mind the H90, right? Kept finding issues to nit-pick (micro-USB in 2023?) and didn't really like the HX tones, came back around to the H90, then figured ok, how about effects allegedly on par with the H90? So fm3, right? (We're now at $1500.)

Or maybe an IR200 after all? The sensible choice. But you'll just be adding more stuff from day one, and it's just expensive enough that it won't be the H90. Get something that covers some ground, like maybe even the Quad Cortex? So now it's FM3 or QC, but the fm3 is out of stock and nobody is selling anything. Also, I'm lazy these days and just want to play (I usually realize way too late I'm not nearly as nerdy as I think I am), the QC spoke to me more that way. Plus, profiling and playing my Einstein and HK Access sounds awesome. I love my amps but they're always in the basement. Also, the looper looks perfect.

Finally I found a good deal for a QC online so I pulled the trigger. I hope it gets here before the weekend... 8)

Return to “Guitars”