Why do people here hate on cherry audio?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WasteLand wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:24 am it is KVR; always hate for some brand.. arturia, cherry audio, ikm, NI, etc. etc.

no one escapes... from KVR....

and trust your own ears, if you don't like them, don't buy them. as for all soft synths...
This!

And if the Cherry Audio synths really sounded bad, why do they always get good reviews in magazines, Musictech, Musicradar etc.?

I own many vintage emulation synths from Arturia, u-he, Synapse, Softube and so on but among my favourites are certainly a few from Cherry Audio. Especially Memorymode and Mercury 4 :clap:

Generally their synths sound great (to me), have lots of useful presets, great midi learning capabilities and I also especially like the fact that all the controls are on one page. And they're obviously very cheap: I bought a few of them for something like € 15 on plugin boutique with the use of some virtual cash.

I don't like all of their synths though. The Polymode interface for example is so ugly that I won't even bother demoing it, regardless of the sound quality :wink:

WasteLand wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:24 am it is KVR; always hate for some brand.. arturia, cherry audio, ikm, NI, ikm…
This. Some people are just f**king morons, pushing their opinions on people. To the list you can add Waves, PA, Korg, just about any manufacturer, not just CA. Use your own ears, demo and make up your own mind. And by the way, you’ll always see the same people hating, probably without even demoing. Idiots.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:14 am
WasteLand wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:24 am it is KVR; always hate for some brand.. arturia, cherry audio, ikm, NI, ikm…
This. Some people are just f**king morons, pushing their opinions on people. To the list you can add Waves, PA, Korg, just about any manufacturer, not just CA. Use your own ears, demo and make up your own mind. And by the way, you’ll always see the same people hating, probably without even demoing. Idiots.
there is so many clutter. but i keep visiting KVR, because there also threads, that i learn from, or better, i don't know haha.

o yes, PA, Waves, Korg... i own a lot from PA, Waves, Korg, arturia, cherry audio, IKM, NI... haha...
or a lot... well a lot... the things that interested me...

i shall not make a positive or negative remarkt, a neutral remark, already done... but i like to repeat, loop....

most intereseting answers i get, when i ask a question, yes yes yes yes yes (i am reading ulysses, which ends with a lot of yes yes yes yes...), a direct question, for example some synths, i personally don't get, what is the attraction for others..

i like to know that.

and long live the new difference! (yes i saw the latest cronenberg! and me cronenberg addict, but this is based on videodrome of couse).

or other questions, that are aren't about is this good or bad, but workflow questions, etc.

well....

in between the clutter, there are some gems of threads, discovering new synths, stuff.. but i already own everything that i want now... but still, new stuff will arrive.

of course you are influenced by remarks, but in the end; play them yourself, and if you make some presets, that you don't want to loose... you know it is good..

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:07 amWeird also how when I try to recreate presets from cherry synths on "more accurate" emulations of the same synth, a lot of times the cherry preset just sounds better.
I'd be interested to hear some of those efforts because your claim is way out of step with my experience.
kNarf_ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:50 amAnd if the Cherry Audio synths really sounded bad, why do they always get good reviews in magazines, Musictech, Musicradar etc.?
Because those magazines are worthless advertorials, nothing more.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:14 am
Totally agree.

Nothing wrong with valid criticism, but, that's mostly not what I read here. Some people can't do anything but to politicize.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have not used Cherry Audio's synth plugins, but for me Voltage Modular is just what the doctor ordered. I love Reaktor, but I always wished there was a way to write some parts in code, as it's just faster and more intuitive for me. With VM + Voltage Module Designer, I can quickly code, try and prototype just about anything that comes to mind. And even without the coding part, VM is a pretty solid modular platform, I think they just hit 1500 modules in their store.

Vortifex wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:23 am "Hate on" is such a cringey term, implying that criticism is hate and therefore has no legitimacy. I dislike most of the Cherry Audio synths, mostly because their UIs are a clusterfuck and unpleasant to use IMO. Miniverse, DCO-106 and Mercury-4 are the exceptions as they're fairly basic synths without much going on in the interface.
criticism is someting else than hate... criticism is needed, also for the products themselves, to improve them.

and i totally get that CA synths don't get you, the sound, the workflow etc. are important factors, for every plugin.

and i don't want to defend a brand, if you don't like, you don't like it. it is more about clutter, what you say, for example, is criticism, not clutter.

i will refrain to out my position, in a way it is known.

the price must not be a factor; i you buy V Collection, in a sale, they are cheaper than CA synths, but there is a small overlap..

and the price must not be a factor for quality. there are great synths, really great synths for 20 to 30 dollars....

I like: sound, price

I don't like: GUI's

Some of their gui's are almost unusable to me. I don't need Softube or Arturia level of graphics but Cherry Audio synths need work.

⬆️ that doesn’t justify hate though, which is what the OP is asking

The PS20 GUI is horrendous. Its a present machine only IMO, I have never even attempted to try making a patch from scratch on PS20. I actually don't mind Polymode, I think someone complained about that ones GUI.

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:02 am Because those magazines are worthless advertorials, nothing more.
It's fascinating so many people still don't get it, it's pretty obvious at this point.

It is obvious. Without the industry, no magazines. Without positive reviews in magazines, no industry.

That's why I won't even trial synths which get a 7/10 rating in Computer Music mag... to exaggerate a bit. ;)

To me they sound like bootleg VST synths. Like someone went on Fiver and hired some cheap programmers from overseas.

And there was also the issue with one of their installers completely wiping out your VST plugins folder. That left a bad impression for me of their QA. To be able to sell their plugins so cheap they are obviously cutting costs somewhere.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 am To me they sound like bootleg VST synths. Like someone went on Fiver and hired some cheap programmers from overseas.

And there was also the issue with one of their installers completely wiping out your VST plugins folder. That left a bad impression for me of their QA. To be able to sell their plugins so cheap they are obviously cutting costs somewhere.
Im sorry but comments like this are absolutely outrageous. Tantamount to slander. If he was able, I wish he’d sue you. I’m all for free speech, but if you’re going to make such ridiculous comments, let’s see your proof. And what is wrong with cutting costs? 🤦‍♂️

Return to “Instruments”