IK goes AI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AmpliTube 5 TONEX MAX TONEX SE TONEX Standard

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:18 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:46 pm
I would never call you an idiot, I'll just say you were using your "jump to conclusions mat" (haven't referenced that movie in a lonnnnng time) a little but hey that happens to everybody.
How dare you not call me an idiot! I'm insulted!
Funkybot is an idiot, you are his sadist counterpart from what I read :P :hug: :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

jamcat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:58 pm That's how Neural DSP uses machine learning, so it can be done.
Does it let you capture your own amps?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

jamcat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:17 pm But Tone Models are still just half-assed, glorified presets.
Use machine learning to build definitive, complete amp and cab models, instead.

The idea of perusing thousands of glorified presets to buy what you hope will be the perfect tone for your song, and then starting all over again when the one you chose doesn't work out in the mix, (each time incurring a new cost), does not sound appealing to me in the least. It's a great racket for IK though.
and? Dont buy it then, you dont speak for everyone obviously, but it seems you may just be trying to. Perhaps there is a fine line between personal preference and having an axe to grind?

Peter comes here day in and day out and gets such abuse in name of IK, but he is not the one making decisions, he is the one reporting things here, answering questions here and doing what IK asks of him. For this his reward is to have people jump down his throat for doing his job. I'll be honest, I dont care fo IK at all or their products, I wont go into reasons, it's my choice and of course logic would suggest much of that is based on my old school ways and loving vintage stuffs as well as new old stuffs as well.

I will say that I do care about Peter, we have been friends for many years now and he has easily been a better friend to me than I have him ( :oops: sorry Peter). So jamcat I am asking you and everyone else (note asking) that you take a step back for a bit, you are driving the same nail in this thread and you have every right too but it is possible people are getting tired of it some and want to talk about the plugin itself. I get it, you like me and everyone else here is quite passionate about our gear. But the thread is about a new product from IK, not an open invitation to take one's frustrations out on IK.

Just try to keep in mind that Peter may have the ear of IK better than the rest of us, but he may not be the one who can facilitate the changes you ask for. In fact in my many years of working for other people I have found this frustration to be quite true, the boss never listens to me, all they care about is their bottom line.

What I am saying is IK gets a lot of crap here, I can see why...Peter is just the messenger and caught behind a rock and a hard place...let's please keep that in mind. I think Peter deserves a lot of respect for coming here day in and day out knowing he will take the heat for others, let us try and show him a little empathy and a lot of understanding.

I can only imagine his day after being here and being a whipping post, then answering to his bosses...sorry Peter :hug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

SLiC wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:20 pm
jamcat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:58 pm That's how Neural DSP uses machine learning, so it can be done.
Having the ability to capture your own amp as an end user is nice, but IK should be doing a lot more with it in house than what users at home are able to do.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

yeah i give peter a jab every now and again but as i have told him before it ain't personal... just that he is the rep and i am sure he relays/conveys from the customers.

i have said it before and i will say it again... you have to give kudos to peter for putting up with us. i am not real sure i could do his job and i have put up with a LOT of shit in my life lol

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

jamcat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:36 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:20 pm
Having the ability to capture your own amp as an end user is nice, but IK should be doing a lot more with it in house than what users at home are able to do.
Maybe they are/will…but for now I don’t know anyone else who is offering this tech for under a hundred bucks especially as a plug in within A5 and a user community set up already for swapping rigs…seems like they deserve a :clap: for this one….but if it helps to improve existing rigs in A5 that’s a bonus. It also makes IRs, so you could use those in Scuffam or Helix!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

MadDogE134 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:45 pm yeah i give peter a jab every now and again...
If we start a heated discussion about getting our jabs this might end up in HPC. Is that what you're trying to do???? :D

Examigan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:52 pm This works with bass guitar also, correct? It would be cool to see/hear some A/B comparisons of a nice bass going through an SVT amp or something along those lines.
If they’re not already in there, I’ll make captures of my vintage Ampeg B15.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:43 pm
MadDogE134 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:45 pm yeah i give peter a jab every now and again...
If we start a heated discussion about getting our jabs this might end up in HPC. Is that what you're trying to do???? :D
I'd just delete it and ban you both from HPC, ask anyone :P :hihi: :hug:

Uncle E wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:04 am
Examigan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:52 pm This works with bass guitar also, correct? It would be cool to see/hear some A/B comparisons of a nice bass going through an SVT amp or something along those lines.
If they’re not already in there, I’ll make captures of my vintage Ampeg B15.
Would love a B-15 set.

I've got a great sounding Princeton Reverb with an Eminence George Allesandro speaker (the vintage Jensen it came with just died). I'll try to do that at some point.

see... no hard feelings lol thnx to both for the giggle

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

SLiC wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:45 pm I don’t know anyone else who is offering this tech for under a hundred bucks especially as a plug in within A5 and a user community set up already for swapping rigs
While perhaps not exactly the same, Positive Grid done/does a similar thing, 'Amp Match' starting with BIAS Amp then BIAS Amp2, they have the 'ToneCloud' set up for users to upload and share their Matches/'Rigs', and also has Professionals, Artists etc, and InHouse rig uploads, not under $100, but not much more, and not exactly the same perhaps, but in the same vein. Also ReValver 4 had it's ACT (Audio Cloning Technology) module, a separate purchase, which was again along the same lines, but no online sharing facility.
Say NO to CLAP!

jamcat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:58 pm Well, my point is a bit broader than that.
Machine learning should be used to make a single definitive model of each amp and each cab in IK's amp vault. Clean house from top to bottom and replace everything with new 2022 models.

That Dumble ought to be a fully tweakable amp in AmpliTube, not a bunch of half-assed "Tone Model" presets. That's how Neural DSP uses machine learning, so it can be done.
I think you have a good point but let's examine this a little. I personally mostly use the Fender collection 2 even though I mostly play in a more metal vein. I also use some super old models, and the newer ones etc. It's all over the board, tone is a weird thing, I think maybe the only universally accepted truth is that most people love late 60's early 70's Marshalls and 50's -60's Fender amps, but even that is up for debate. All that to say, what gets put in the "legacy camp?" anything old? that's assuming that only newer versions are better, I don't think that's always true.

To your point though, it would be even better if you modeled an amp in various settings, but then there's always in between stages, AI can match it I guess, but then we would be sitting there with YouTube videos comparing the sound of the real thing dialing up overdrive VS IK etc.

What I would love more than all this is for someone to just start modeling nothing real, just start working with the possibilities of software instead of trying to match an Orange etc. Go ahead and create your own amps in software with all the crazy things you can do with software VS hardware. Give me really quality tones and absolutely trashed weirdness all in the same device.

So whether I'm playing a '50s Fender or a '70s Marshall model, I want it to be 100% accurate AND 100% tweakable so I can dial in MY OWN tone, not just be limited to calling up a preset of someone else's tone.

AmpliTube 5 gives us lots of gear that's fully tweakable, while TONEX promises to deliver lots of tones that are fully accurate. But what we need is models that do both.

I think it's cool that soon we'll be able to capture really accurate snapshots of our own gear, but that's only the tip of the iceberg of what machine learning can do. I'm just hoping that IK doesn't stop there with TONEX, because the old AmpliTube models are not going to be able to stand up against the AI Tone Models when it comes to realism.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Quick question. The preorder is cool and all but jamcat mentions that he thinks each tone model is pretty static, which is kinda backed up by the fact the pedals are all preamps and distortion units, nary a Wha, Flanger, delay or chorus in sight. Plus the whole "40 amps, 20n pedals, 400 tones" states it without stating it.

So when it's stated 40 Amps etc. are included, which ones? this matters, and I see no list. I'm willing to pay more for Marshalls, Silvertone, Fenders etc. I would like to see a list of included amps, not much to ask.

Return to “Effects”