IK goes AI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AmpliTube 5 TONEX MAX TONEX SE TONEX Standard

machinesworking wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:27 am Amplitube with all it's warts is still my favorite IK product, so I'm probably going to fall for this again and rebuy IK's latest take on Amp modeling. (yes I know it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to put something like this out, but I've loyally bought Amplitube and only the Max people? really?)

I might just go for the Tonex Capture. I've got a few seriously damaged ideas to roll out here. I'm probably going to be disappointed, (not IK's fault in this case), because I immediately jump to the more chaotic 'tones', I own a broken Silvertone that will run for a couple more hours before the transformer coils die, and this box, which sounds so close to an amp dying I got pretty scared the first time I plug it though speakers! :hihi:
Thanks for being a fan of AmpliTube. I was just saying to our CEO yesterday that I look forward to some of the more "disruptive" uses of the tech so bring it on.

...but don't break your own equipment. Use the proper load & reamping equipment and procedures. Do, however, make some chaotic shit for sure. Can't wait to hear/use it.

jamcat wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:02 am There is tweaking from song to song, particularly gain and presence, but putting that aside, my base tone isn’t necessarily someone else’s tone. And that’s really the first issue.
Sure, both points make sense. I'm planning on using my own captures for the most part.
Plus, while I’m sure there could be a Tone Model that fits what I’m looking for, it’s going to be quite difficult to find it among thousands of Tone Models. You need to hear YOUR guitar part in YOUR mix before you know if it will work. That’s a lot of trial and error. And that’s the second issue.
It'll be good to find out how well the plugin reacts to hardware pedals. If it reacts like a real amp, maybe pedals can provide the flexibility you're looking for.
It’s akin to perusing a loop library someone else made, looking for the perfect riff for your song vs. just writing it yourself.
Yes, agreed. Can be a waste of time if you already know what you want. Still, it's good to use loops, samples, and presets to get you to do things you wouldn't normally do on your own.

I do have some weird pedals where it would be interesting to see if this can successfully replicate them, I would think not honestly as they are too weird which is the reason I like them. The Mattoverse Electronics AirTrash for one.

https://mattoverse.com/products/mattove ... s-airtrash

Beyond that I am not really interested in this, maybe I will demo it just to see, as I am a bit skeptical. :shrug:

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:26 pm Thanks for being a fan of AmpliTube. I was just saying to our CEO yesterday that I look forward to some of the more "disruptive" uses of the tech so bring it on.
I am, my only complaint about IK is well worn territory, but the rewards system for the most part only rewards either Max users or Jam Points, so someone like me that completed my Amplitude collection using the 25 for one sale last year, but went ahead and got everything you make in that same sale, ie spent damn near what the Total bundle cost anyway, just gets 30% off, or slightly higher upgrade costs than other vendors.

One more thing, by Gain do you mean just volume or amount of AI overdrive? This is an important detail.

two questions for Peter.

1. does the preorder price extend to shortly after release? i want to demo it before i make the decision. (I understand if you can't answer that :D )

2. will i be able to purchase Tone Models a-la carte if i don't get the MAX version? (presumably the answer is "yes")
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Interesting, in principle. Have to see how it works for people.

Peter, do you have an ETA for M1 native TrackS-5 that I saw you mentioned somewhere was coming?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:18 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:26 pm Thanks for being a fan of AmpliTube. I was just saying to our CEO yesterday that I look forward to some of the more "disruptive" uses of the tech so bring it on.
I am, my only complaint about IK is well worn territory, but the rewards system for the most part only rewards either Max users or Jam Points, so someone like me that completed my Amplitude collection using the 25 for one sale last year, but went ahead and got everything you make in that same sale, ie spent damn near what the Total bundle cost anyway, just gets 30% off, or slightly higher upgrade costs than other vendors.

One more thing, by Gain do you mean just volume or amount of AI overdrive? This is an important detail.
If you contact support they can look into situations like these and see what they can do.

Gain is definitely not just volume. You'll see in the video we're posting shortly.

Burillo wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:00 pm two questions for Peter.

1. does the preorder price extend to shortly after release? i want to demo it before i make the decision. (I understand if you can't answer that :D )

2. will i be able to purchase Tone Models a-la carte if i don't get the MAX version? (presumably the answer is "yes")
1. I can only ask (and I have) but I do not know if it will at this time.

2. There will be packs available from us (and the SE/standard/MAX versions you see), but at this time we don't have single Tone Models for sale.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:16 pm Interesting, in principle. Have to see how it works for people.

Peter, do you have an ETA for M1 native TrackS-5 that I saw you mentioned somewhere was coming?
We should have it ready soon but note that August is not possible since that is the month where Italy is almost entirely on vacation.

For those who had questions about the Player/Editor, different controls you have on the Tone Models, etc, we have just released this video:

https://youtu.be/Ns2ui4ps7NI

Still not seeing why AI Machine Modeling wasn’t used to just update all the existing AT5 models and add new amps within the existing AmpliTube framework.

What IK did instead doesn't even appear to be as flexible as this free, open source neural network-based amp model:

https://youtu.be/I9DElOaZvHo
https://github.com/GuitarML/SmartGuitarAmp/releases

SmartGuitarAmp switches between CLEAN and LEAD channels. Why don't TONEX Tone Models do that?

Why do you need several Tone Models of the same amp, when SmartGuitarAmp is able to give you one definitive model of the whole amp?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Good question. Maybe it's like convolution reverb vs algorithmic reverb. They capture the essence of the amp and the intertwine that with the guitar signal to create the overall sound of a real amp and giving the impression of realism. Algorithmic amp sims cannot provide this realism as of yet.

It's like comparing complex sampling with modeling. Modeling is 95% realistic if you compare the tone whereas sampling is 100% accurate as it is a capture of the actual sound even if it is only a snapshot of a moment in time.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

benjamind wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:06 am Good question. Maybe it's like convolution reverb vs algorithmic reverb. They capture the essence of the amp and the intertwine that with the guitar signal to create the overall sound of a real amp and giving the impression of realism. Algorithmic amp sims cannot provide this realism as of yet.

It's like comparing complex sampling with modeling. Modeling is 95% realistic if you compare the tone whereas sampling is 100% accurate as it is a capture of the actual sound even if it is only a snapshot of a moment in time.
That seems like a great analogy.

It looks pretty well done to me, but I'm more than happy to wait for the free version to try out in anger, and then wait for the inevitable sales. Could be a while for a new product.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:26 am That seems like a great analogy.

It looks pretty well done to me, but I'm more than happy to wait for the free version to try out in anger, and then wait for the inevitable sales. Could be a while for a new product.
You could be waiting up to a year. Usually they have sales much later on but you never know. They might do a Black Friday sale, who knows but I like the sound even though I already just bought Amplitube standard for less than $70.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Return to “Effects”