Neural DSP Archetype Plini

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, would you recommend Archetype Plini? I already have Cory Wong. Thank you

You can't go wrong with any Neural DSP amp sim. I think those two can cover the full range from clean to metal.

I have the Cory Wong, the Tim Henson and the Tone King Imperial. So I'm pretty much set, but still I am tempted to get just one more. :wink:

I owned Tim henson, Plini and Wong and personnaly recommend the Henson one (I sold the other).

Absolutely. Plini is easily one of my favorites from Neural.

Plini does Fender Twin better than what?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I have Cory. its okay. I would not recommend Neural. They are doing some weird things lately.[1] I suspect it has to do with the posts about aliasing that got deleted on another forum. They also seem to not do much updates. Plini was last updated Mar 11, 2020. Cory in Nov 2021.

;0)

[1] https://support.neuraldsp.com/help/samp ... uffer-size
all the best

They keep doing metal sims and until Soldano and Tone King mkII you could never find out what AMPs were being modelled.

Whats the list of Plini Amps?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:59 pm They keep doing metal sims and until Soldano and Tone King mkII you could never find out what AMPs were being modelled.

Whats the list of Plini Amps?
They didn't say what those are, but here's some speculations:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeuralDSP/comm ... the_known/
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

Some of those speculations are just plain weird. Plini started out with plugin sims and then Axe-Fx. Afaik, he still has/uses Axe-Fx III rack unit. About amps he has specifically mentioned in interviews his bandmates Marshall, Mesa Boogie Mark V and EVH 5153 Blue channel.

So I don't understand how someone would think the clean amp would be Roland JC-120, unless that has been specifically mentioned by Plini. Neural DSP plugin GUIs are not necessarily exact copies, but do often give at least some idea. So, they made a solid state combo amp look like all tube desktop amp? :D I can believe either crunch or lead amp is modeled after EVH 5153 (Blue channel) and that's about it for Plini.

Nolly is the easiest of the Archetypes, because Nolly has himself talked about those specific amps and modeling them. Naturally no official verification from Neural DSP.
So, Nolly - Clean: Bogner Shiva, Crunch: Marshall JCM800 (with depth mod), Rhythm: block logo Peavey 5150, Lead: modified Victory V30 Countess.

Abasi is unknown. Ok guesses about Morgan amps and that's about it.

Cory Wong - D.I Funk Console: DI to SSL channel strip. The Clean Machine: tweaked/mixed Fender Twin. Cory also mentions Roland JC-120 and DV Mark Raw Dawg. The Amp Snob: Dumble. Cory himself mentions a Dumble clone.

Gojira - Clean: tweaked Fender, Rust: EVH 5153 Blue channel, Hot: EVH 5153. These check out with what Joe Duplantier has said to be his favorites.

Tim Henson has used Axe-Fx. He has said that he doesn’t know much about gear and doesn’t really even care about it. So I don't care either, but just laught at the Matchless suggestion. Would be great irony though.

Petrucci - Piezo: acoustic simulation, Clean, Rhythm & Lead: Mesa Boogie JP-2C Ch.1-3. John Petrucci has been using Mesa Boogie amps for ages and has his signature amp, so pretty safe guesses.

Rabea - Clean: tweaked Fender Twin Reverb, Rhythm & Lead: Victory VX Kraken. Rabea has taken part in Kraken development, is well known for liking them and is their endorsed artist. So about the only guess would be how have they mixed Kraken and Super Kraken features.

From Neural DSP I have Tone King Imperial MkII and Nolly. Of course personal preferences, but to me both have great sounds and feel. Nolly is also a good all-round package with 4 different amps.

I liked the playing feel of Plini, but not so much the actual sound of crunch and lead amps. Perhaps a bit too high mid boxy/raspy sound for me. I also didn't feel the highly appraised clean amp was really that special. Clean for sure, but so are so many other amps (models) too. It's a nice looking package though. Plini is a great player and his recorded sounds are good. While admitting of not being a gear head, he clearly has an ear and skills to tweak his sounds with the gear he has. Just wasn't an amp sim for me.

Petrucci achetype has lots of great features, but the sounds just didn't click with me. Cory Wong, again good cleans, but as an overall package just didn't do enough for me. I haven't tested Abasi nor Gojira and have no interest in Henson version.

What was a nice surprise to me was Rabea. Taking part in real amp development shows his keen interest in getting his sounds and these amps didn't disappoint. Quite contrary, I really like them for anything from soft break up to full on distortion and from loose to tight. Krakens seem to have a similar yet a bit diffent sonic character from the usual classic British/US amps, which is a nice change.

The fx sections are also good, with just one let down in there, the behavior of octaver and fuzz. I have built and modified those effect circuits for years and am pretty partial to how they should sound and work. Classic fuzz & level at full and clean up with guitar volume doesn't respond nor sound even close to the real things I'm used to. Bringing fuzz way down in modern mode helps some, but instead of clear bell like cleans it's more like a thin clean sound with some fuzzy hair still there. It also seems almost like they would've mixed up vintage/modern switch in those. Adjusted straight up for a certain octave and fuzz sounds they are fine, but basically forget the traditional guitar volume change behavior.

The guitar synth is a gimmick to me. It tracks pretty good, but the actual synth features are too scarce for anybody who is used to real and modeled synths available. Maybe nice for occasional goofing around or some added athmosphere. Luckily this package doesn't depend on this feature to make it worthwhile, at least to me. Nice job Neural DSP and Rabea.

From the separate amp suites I own the TK Imperial which is a blast to play, love it. I have tested the Fortin Cali Suite and Soldano SLO-100. Soldano was made with co-operation with Mike Soldano himself. It's very good, as expected. Fortin Cali seems not to be my sound. Omega Ampworks Granophyre, Fortin NTS Suite and Fortin Nameless Suite seem to target too hard sonics for me to even try them. Most of the specific amp suites, while maybe really accurate models, are so limited in features that I'm not too keen on paying what is usually asked for them. TK Imperial was special enough to get it and SLO-100 just might make it one day. I'm sure some other people would think the same about those other models.

Everything above is just one user view. Neural DSP has a fully featured 14 day trial of all of their plugins. Everybody interested should use that trial possibility to make their own minds. Heck, they even extend the trials if that is needed to make a decision.

TheI'm curious about the amount of changes between versions 1 to 2.0

I'd buy all their stuff in a heartbeat if it was implemented in a unified plattform. It's top-tier simulation and they make great effects, but I'm not running three or four Archetypes in series to get a wah, whammy and a chrystal reverb and the amp I want.

I initially thought the Archetypes would be like a cash and hype generating side-gig off a core guitar plugin that was in the works, some product built along the lines of a Quad Cortex VST, but that doesn't seem to be happening and they appear to want to release archetypes indefinitely (or until they run out of YouTube-famous guitarists, which ain't happening soon).

I'm guessing it's technically more viable to make a neural model from scratch every time than to figure out how to run these various models made at various stages of their tech evolution off the same core, but IMO they'll eventually push even the most serious GASer into option paralysis, and that's not something that should happen at the buying stage.

I for one am a sucker for new and shiny stuff and spent a ton of money on guitar plug-ins this BF, but I still had no trouble holding off their stuff - even after demoing it and loving the sounds - because I couldn't see the long term investment value proposition.

I've been using the Archetype Plini for a few months now. Very versatile plugin. With its appearance I almost stopped using plugins from other companies, which I had accumulated before.

Here is one of the best clean channels. Very good crunch and overdrive.

I would go for the Tone King if you're looking for clean, break up tones. If you're going high-gain, then Nolly.

Just wanted to point out that the March newsletter from Neural DSP specifically mentioned updating the Plini plugin this year. The expected update will apparently include (at least) the features from the latest releases (such as transpose, etc.) and is expected to drop soon.

I've come full circle with this plugin -- I started off really liking it, especially the clean sound, then realized that it was actually the reverb that I was appreciating, and then I realized just how much CPU the reverb was using. So my use of the plugin dwindled for about a year but has picked up again recently after hearing it on one of my recorded tracks from a couple years before. I've compared with other amp sims, and the sound is favorable, especially with the cruch and high-gain channels -- they're at least as nice as the other modelers that I own. To bring CPU in line with similar plugins, I worked out a reverb sound using Valhalla VV that is very close to the Plini reverb but uses only a small fraction of the processor load. And everybody's using TONEX for clean/breakup sounds now anyway, right??

Return to “Guitars”