TAL Sampler 4, new look - free update!

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For me, Sampler starts with the presets tab open. Drum starts with the samples tab open.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

seangm wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:46 pm My preset window actually opens in the "Samples" tab and I want it to open in the presets tab. I read the original post wrong. Not sure why different people are having different tabs default for the presets window.
This was changed a little while ago after a user request, could you please make sure you're running an up to date version of TAL Sampler? Current version is 4.3.7
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

You can subscribe to my stickied update thread to get a notification when any of the plugins are updated too.
viewtopic.php?t=592462

Patrick is taking a look at this, at minimum it will save the state you last set, not sure if he intends also to add an option to select your default. For me I sometimes want presets and sometimes want samples so I'd be happy with it at least retaining what I have it set to.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

EmptyVessel wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:49 pm
seangm wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:46 pm My preset window actually opens in the "Samples" tab and I want it to open in the presets tab. I read the original post wrong. Not sure why different people are having different tabs default for the presets window.
This was changed a little while ago after a user request, could you please make sure you're running an up to date version of TAL Sampler? Current version is 4.3.7
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

You can subscribe to my stickied update thread to get a notification when any of the plugins are updated too.
viewtopic.php?t=592462

Patrick is taking a look at this, at minimum it will save the state you last set, not sure if he intends also to add an option to select your default. For me I sometimes want presets and sometimes want samples so I'd be happy with it at least retaining what I have it set to.
Looks like I'm at v4.2.6 so I'll need to update. I think defaulting to the last tab used is a great idea. Thanks.

seangm wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:50 pm Looks like I'm at v4.2.6 so I'll need to update. I think defaulting to the last tab used is a great idea. Thanks.
Hmm that's very recent so I doubt it will change anything but let me know, maybe let me know your DAW too if your default still seems to be different to everyone else's :help:
emptyvessel
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.

I'm noticing with TAL Sampler's Delay effect there seems to be something odd going on, or maybe I'm misunderstanding it. From the default patch, with spread at zero and offset at .50, I'm still getting a stereo delay, the left side more prominent, as if there's still an offset. Maybe a bug?

mjudge55 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:35 pm I'm noticing with TAL Sampler's Delay effect there seems to be something odd going on, or maybe I'm misunderstanding it. From the default patch, with spread at zero and offset at .50, I'm still getting a stereo delay, the left side more prominent, as if there's still an offset. Maybe a bug?
Yeah I agree, it sounds quite odd, even just engaging the delay seems to make the dry signal sound different and there is no setting that gives a totally mono delay. Thanks for that I'll have a chat with Patrick about it, afaik nothing was changed in the fx section recently!
emptyvessel

EmptyVessel wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:35 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:35 pm I'm noticing with TAL Sampler's Delay effect there seems to be something odd going on, or maybe I'm misunderstanding it. From the default patch, with spread at zero and offset at .50, I'm still getting a stereo delay, the left side more prominent, as if there's still an offset. Maybe a bug?
Yeah I agree, it sounds quite odd, even just engaging the delay seems to make the dry signal sound different and there is no setting that gives a totally mono delay. Thanks for that I'll have a chat with Patrick about it, afaik nothing was changed in the fx section recently!
Hey there, just checking back on this, hoping a fix for the delay is on TAL's list -- thanks.

mjudge55 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:06 pm
Hey there, just checking back on this, hoping a fix for the delay is on TAL's list -- thanks.
yep I passed it on, I'll check in and make sure it hasn't been forgotten. Cheers.
emptyvessel

EmptyVessel wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:35 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:06 pm
yep I passed it on, I'll check in and make sure it hasn't been forgotten. Cheers.
I just installed 4.4.9 and it seemed this issue was resolved in that spread is set by default at .50 and echoes are in mono. If you move the spread parameter it of course becomes stereo but then if you bring it back to .50 the effect is still slightly stereo. If you double click to bring the parameter to default (.50) the effect is again mono, suggesting manually turning the knob to .50 actually gets you a value slightly more or less than that. Maybe it always worked that way and I just wasn't catching on. In any case, I can get a mono delay so that's cool.

Here are a few ideas. I'm not sure if it's read here? A short confirmation would be lovely.

In 4.4.2: Loop Start, End & especially Mod-Matrix Amount knobs have a very slim coloured circle. It's a bit hard to read/see. I like that circles of larger knob are a bit slimmer in 4.2.2. But for the smaller knobs it's a bit much reduction.

The looped section (waveform) in main view is not easy to see. I'm using the default theme. I suggest to either make the vertical line more visible or use a stronger contrast for the waveform to clarify the sections (start/end/loop)

In general, I like to see improvements and gui problems being addressed. But at some point it should be stable or only be extended. It feels like the TAL sampler gui is redesigned in every release.

Like other people in this thread mentioned. The Fade knob in the main gui is missing. It was availbile in the past. If you are trying to find loops, this is a very important parameter to optimize.

What about to put Env1 (volume) and Env2 (filter) in one tab? When you separate them, you have to make quite a few more mouse clicks. What about having 4 Envs in total and use two per page? This would not break the tabbed interface idea.

What about log/lin/exp attack & release curves for Envs?

I like the idea to rename Env1 and Env2 to their purpose viewtopic.php?p=8519141#p8519141.
Last edited by midi_transmission on Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmptyVessel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:44 pm
seangm wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:10 am Just my 2c but I like the new preset menu better than the dropdown menu. If you had presets sub folders within a folder I found it hard to navigate to the preset in the sub folders with the drop down, the menu would just close half the time. So one vote for the new preset menu, maybe have both types of menus like Arturia?
I'm happy with it now I'm used to it and I agree that it's easier to use if you have a lot of folders, I've made 8 packs for TAL Sampler now I think so having those plus some personal stuff and a few in progress projects does get a bit messy with the dropdown menu. With the new browser I just have a set of colour-coded favourites, nice and easy.
afaik the new browser design is here to stay and there are no plans to re-instate the dropdown, even as an option. The framework and tools used to generate the UI evolve and change and some features are deprecated at times so there are some constraints to what is possible or even just efficient to code.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, it's appreciated :)
Changing presets via left/right button at the top is limited to the current folder. What about to remove this restriction and make it work over folder borders?

That enables changing presets without the browser open.

But the workflow while the browser is open is also improved. You no longer have to constantly switch between folders in the browser if you just want browse through all the presets.

midi_transmission wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:24 pm Here are a few ideas. I'm not sure if it's read here? A short confirmation would be lovely.

In 4.4.2: Loop Start, End & especially Mod-Matrix Amount knobs have a very slim coloured circle. It's a bit hard to read/see. I like that circles of larger knob are a bit slimmer in 4.2.2. But for the smaller knobs it's a bit much reduction.

The looped section (waveform) in main view is not easy to see. I'm using the default theme. I suggest to either make the vertical line more visible or use a stronger contrast for the waveform to clarify the sections (start/end/loop)

In general, I like to see improvements and gui problems being addressed. But at some point it should be stable or only be extended. It feels like the TAL sampler gui is redesigned in every release.

Like other people in this thread mentioned. The Fade knob in the main gui is missing. It was availbile in the past. If you are trying to find loops, this is a very important parameter to optimize.

What about to put Env1 (volume) and Env2 (filter) in one tab? When you separate them, you have to make quite a few more mouse clicks. What about having 4 Envs in total and use two per page? This would not break the tabbed interface idea.

What about log/lin/exp attack & release curves for Envs?

I like the idea to rename Env1 and Env2 to their purpose viewtopic.php?p=8519141#p8519141.
Patrick at TAL doesn't have much time to check in here so I do it instead and pass on anything that needs to be passed on via email. It's useful to post here for the sake of discussion with other TAL owners but if you want to make suggestions, report bugs or discuss directly with Patrick it's better to email him.

Patrick improved the waveform visibility fairly recently, current version is 4.5.2
Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 09.40.26.png
There's only been one more major layout change since the big v4 update and that was in response to user feedback, as have been the minor changes since.
I totally agree, the fade in the main page was a useful time-saver, I have passed that on as well as suggesting the two envelopes could share a tab. 4 envelopes would be good. I've also requested (as have others) a tabbed layour for the mod matrix AND more slots, I regularly run out. Patrick agreed but I'm not sure when/if this will be implemented. :tu:
midi_transmission wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:33 pm Changing presets via left/right button at the top is limited to the current folder. What about to remove this restriction and make it work over folder borders?
I think this would affect people who are making folders of presets for live performance as a few people have mentioned here, having it suddenly step out of the folder you set up would be a problem. We could have it as an option though so people can have the behaviour they want. Personally I quite like having folders to organise various "banks" and have it stay within the current bank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyvessel

Thanks EmptyVessel

Regarding the waveform in 4.5.2, it's not about the rendering but about the colors.

Could you have a look again at this setting:
- use the default theme
- load a sample
- set start/end
- enable loop and set loop start/end

The loop is super difficult to see because of the low difference in shade between start/end and lool start/end.

In the editor it's ok, but you have clear visible vertical lines. These lines are missing in the main view. I almost never use the editor and do most of the tweaking in the main view.

EmptyVessel wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:48 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:33 pm Changing presets via left/right button at the top is limited to the current folder. What about to remove this restriction and make it work over folder borders?
I think this would affect people who are making folders of presets for live performance as a few people have mentioned here, having it suddenly step out of the folder you set up would be a problem. We could have it as an option though so people can have the behaviour they want. Personally I quite like having folders to organise various "banks" and have it stay within the current bank.
Sure just as an option. Take your factory content. There are many folder with just a few presets in it. That means to scan though all presets you have so many folder changes that's exhausting. And other factory content like Hollowsun use even more folders.

I would agree when you had like 5 folders with many presets. But the Tal Sampler presets are more often than not scatted over a lot of folders.

midi_transmission wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:16 pm
EmptyVessel wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:48 pm
Sure just as an option. Take your factory content. There are many folder with just a few presets in it. That means to scan though all presets you have so many folder changes that's exhausting. And other factory content like Hollowsun use even more folders.

I would agree when you had like 5 folders with many presets. But the Tal Sampler presets are more often than not scatted over a lot of folders.
Yeah fair point, it's why I stopped structuring my packs like that, only I think the first one maybe two (plus the factory content) are like that. It seemed like a good idea at the time from an organisational point of view. The rest of my packs are all in one folder and I've just put the type of the patch as the first 3 letters. I should redo the factory content and get Patrick to update the zip.
I've seen other plugins that display the same behaviour where they'll keep just rotating within the same folder, go back to the start when you go past the last one - rather than move on to the next folder/patch type. I can totally see use cases for both behaviour so an option makes sense.
emptyvessel

Return to “TAL Software”