curious if anyone here also uses a continuumini/NOT a 'vs' thread

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

droolmaster0 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:40 pm right - but i'm not looking for the synth. As far as an instrument with a steep learning curve, Kyma is enough for now. I briefly considered trying to afford one of the larger continuums, but that's just way more than i want to spend. I'm curious about the erae touch - which at least LOOKS to be very different. But there is very little about it at this point.
I have a Linnstrument, a half-size Continuum and the Erae Touch (Osmose on the way... hopefully)

I think of the Erae Touch as a sophisticated MPE controller... not as much as an instrument to play.

i'm not sure what distinction you're making. For instance, how is the linnstrument an 'instrument to play'?

I bought the continuumini for the sound engine - I haven't been at all impressed by the control/playing surface so wouldn't say your missing out anything from that.

The now discontinued sensel morph might be worth a look for you - similar to the full size continuum (with the keyboard or a custom overlay) in that you've more control/range over Y axis movements than on the linnstrument, which I imagine might be useful with the kyma, at the expense of several octaves worth of notes.

Do you have Kyma Control for the iPad, that is quite useful.

As you said before the continuum would be the ideal choice, I have wanted one for years.

I was right there at the beginning of the continuumini with number 19, I was hoping that it would be like a single key from the continuum with the same surface.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

yes. have that. it's ok, but i've never found it very exciting for some reason.

i do very much like using the wacom tablet with kyma. i haven't tried it much yet, but i also enjoy converting it's hot parameters in kyma to send out midi cc's to external synths. just seemed pretty cool to do.

droolmaster0 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:37 pm oh....that's too bad. but are you saying that it's harder to LEARN to play it, and once you do, it is a worthy complement, or that it has it's good points, but overall it's not in the same league? (and yeah - the linnstrument is an exceptional instrument.)...

hmmm - there is also the soundplane, but those are rarely available, and it's pricier. I'm not the biggest fan of the Roli stuff.
I would say overall it's a different league. For pure instrumental playing, it does not reach the level of the LinnStrument (neither the Seaboard in my oppinion). It does shine on percussive playing and of course as general purpose controller... You can also get it a bit better for instrumental playing if you set it to a 2*3 grid. That is closer to the Soundplane with a bigger y-axis, and less danger to get your fingers too close. Some people might like that, but for me the rolling of the finger to play the y-axis is now so used to me, that I prefer it over sliding along the y-axis...
I'll try to make a video me playing a LinnStrument layout on the Erae Touch...

droolmaster0 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:23 am i'm not sure what distinction you're making. For instance, how is the linnstrument an 'instrument to play'?
I mean, on the Linnstrument I play all sorts of parts including fast arpeggios and melodies.

The Erae Touch on the other hand, I don't find lends itself to playing complex musical passages... however, if I want to play and hold a note (or two) and do X/Y/Z modulations, having a big pad is useful for that (Linnstrument pads are too small for this). That is why the Touch seems to me more like an MPE controller

Return to “Roger Linn Design”