Aquamarine [A synthwave with a bit of fake guitar...]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/vlG9Jy2yN1Y
Submission for Songwriting Competition 060 - "Water (Picture Theme)".

The goal was to create a track in any music genre, inspired by the picture and "water" topic.

I wasn't quite happy with this project, but at least I brought something to the table while having time management issues. Trying to incorporate my old drafts with my new skills and tools. This track was awarded 2nd place.

Exploring an underwater is almost like visiting another planet. It is very dangerous, yet very engaging journey, full of beautiful and thrilling moments. The whole new world to explore, that requires special skills and abilities to survive, completely out of your comfort zone.

Instruments and techniques:

1. For drums I used LinnDrum samples.
2. The electric bass is "Ample Bass P Lite"
3. The electric guitars (clean and crunchy lead) is MusicLab "RealLPC"
4. SampleScience's "Cinematic Piano" stands for itself.
5. SampleScience's "Deamwaves" is a synth pad in the intro.
6. Audiolatry's "MEL-lofi" used for background choir and strings.
7. TAL Bassline 101 is used for synth lead and bell sequence.
8. Several free sample packs were used to create special effects.
9. VSCO2 Rompler used for some percussion and impact sounds.

Produced in FL Studio 20.9.2.

***Additionally, you can find download links on my Patreon page. The links for this track will be publicly available till the end of September. After that, they will be available for patrons, starting from first tier.***
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

Congrats on doing so well in the competition. To me the song really does well to portray the topic and picture. The mix sounds fantastic although a little too much reverb for my taste. I can see a reverb heavy mix being good for the underwater theme though so... I heard something like we only explored a very small percentage of under water compared to most things. There is so much undiscovered there. Great song!
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Nice sound. Enjoyable.

Congratulations for landing a very rewarding spot in the contest.
I agree, this piece is lovely and very melodic.
The mystery and splendor of the deep sea is depict in this composition.
Well done.
Rene

I like the 5-note intro motif. Is that Cinematic Piano? The sound and style there was similar to something Bowie might have made during the "Low" era. When the arp enters at ca. 0:35, the track becomes its own thing. I like the way the opening motif re-appears in modified and unmodified forms throughout the piece. I think the lead synth at 4:04 (and maybe a couple of other places, too) could have used a "beefier" sound. The current lead sound is a little "thin".

Good work :)

ATS wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:36 am Congrats on doing so well in the competition. To me the song really does well to portray the topic and picture. The mix sounds fantastic although a little too much reverb for my taste. I can see a reverb heavy mix being good for the underwater theme though so... I heard something like we only explored a very small percentage of under water compared to most things. There is so much undiscovered there. Great song!
Thank you!

The mix is still pretty hard aspect to me, as I often do it on a very last moment. I also often overdo with reverbs. So it's kinda pleasing to hear that the mix sounds good for somebody after all the struggles.
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."

margaret0547 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:22 pm Nice sound. Enjoyable.
Thank you!

Nice. Liked the soaring synth saw lead. Some other very good moments in there too.

Very cool!
At first I thought: "Drum reverb too much"
then 2 seconds later I thought: "Nope, this is awesome."

VCA-089 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:01 pm
ATS wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:36 am Congrats on doing so well in the competition. To me the song really does well to portray the topic and picture. The mix sounds fantastic although a little too much reverb for my taste. I can see a reverb heavy mix being good for the underwater theme though so... I heard something like we only explored a very small percentage of under water compared to most things. There is so much undiscovered there. Great song!
Thank you!

The mix is still pretty hard aspect to me, as I often do it on a very last moment. I also often overdo with reverbs. So it's kinda pleasing to hear that the mix sounds good for somebody after all the struggles.
make sure you eq your reverbs if you feel they are taking up too much mix space.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

The piano bit has been used before. I think it is from The Cure but I can't quite put my finger on which song. Or it might be something from Colin Newman. I almost had it and then your piece changed. It will come to me eventually. Overall, the piece sounds very dated to me, like something I might have heard at a late night cafe in the 70s, although I assume that was your intention.

You said you do your mix at the last moment, what do you mean by that? I start mixing the moment I add a second instrument so that by the time I add the final part in the arrangement, the mix is about 95% done. I can't imagine how else you would do it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Relaxing, atmospheric, multi-layered ambient. Very enjoyable. :tu:

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:30 am Overall, the piece sounds very dated to me, like something I might have heard at a late night cafe in the 70s, although I assume that was your intention.
Thank you! That means I nailed it!
BONES wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:30 am The piano bit has been used before. I think it is from The Cure but I can't quite put my finger on which song. Or it might be something from Colin Newman. I almost had it and then your piece changed.
Check out "All Cats Are Grey" by The Cure, the very last bits of it.
BONES wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:30 am You said you do your mix at the last moment, what do you mean by that? I start mixing the moment I add a second instrument so that by the time I add the final part in the arrangement, the mix is about 95% done. I can't imagine how else you would do it.
It's happening because of clutter and randomness of my workflow. I know it's wrong and I should be more careful with my projects.

All Cats Are Grey was the very first 80s cover I worked out during lockdown in 2020. I probably haven't revisited it in a year or more but I should have picked it up a bit quicker. The problem is that as soon as I recognise the riff, it ruins your song for me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:48 am All Cats Are Grey was the very first 80s cover I worked out during lockdown in 2020. I probably haven't revisited it in a year or more but I should have picked it up a bit quicker. The problem is that as soon as I recognise the riff, it ruins your song for me.
It's up to you, but my song still has a lot of original material. The riff is simillar, but not 100%, I worked it out a little bit differently. And I'm pretty sure, that riff could have been used in 20 other songs already.

Return to “Music Cafe”