New Korg Drumlogue Hybrid Drum machine Out!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For people who want a bit of everyhting in their drum machine- analogue, digital, stereo samples, SDK engine and (very) Elektron like sequencer for around $600

https://www.korg.com/uk/products/drums/drumlogue/

https://youtu.be/KXEarFpSgGg
Last edited by SLiC on Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The SDK engine is very very interesting.
DUST for U-HE REPRO
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Yup- it's amazing what they can design for the engine, both in terms of the synths and FX (where you can have 3 simultaneously from over 60)

https://www.sinevibes.com/korg/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

4 very weak analogue drums + 6 samples (and 32MB RAM) for $600. Too limited for that price. I don't count the sequencer because I already have it in SQ-64. It could be an interesting product if it only has digital instead of analogue drums.
It's not what I expected from this not-abandonware-anymore drum machine when it was announced many moons ago.

SDK may save this machine a bit, but it's still way overpriced for what it does.

Interesting. Doesn't really jump out as a must-buy to me, since I'm more than set with my Elektrons, but I can see where it will really appeal to the same audience that loves the Minilogue XD and Prologues (great synths for the money). It's got a few nice features, including the Sinevibes fx, USB device input, etc. Should be a success for Korg. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

I have heard the analogue bass and snare sound pretty good in some videos, I like that you can modify them by mixing in (digital/sampled) attack, much more interesting g than just analogue.

It's just a pity that you can only use one of the 3 digital engines at once (The 2 op FM, the noise or the SDK)

The Sinevibes fx are superb, no video reviews have really gone into this yet, but it sounds like it has all the same ones as the prologue, shimmer, sub verb etc. Also it has an audio in so you use this as an FX box (I could sell my NT1...hmmm!)

I think this machine will drop by 10-20% 'street' (so maybe £450) and be a real winner for many, it's quite a bit cheaper than the Elektron stuff (I paid £750 for my Syntakt) and offers the electron sequencing type experience.

SLiC wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:00 am I think this machine will drop by 10-20% 'street' (*so maybe £450) and be a real winner for many, it's quite a bit cheaper than the Elektron stuff (I paid £750 for my Syntakt) and offers the electron sequencing type experience.
Yeah, it seems like it was strategically placed between the Model-series and the Digi/Syn-takts, both in terms of capabilities and cost. It doesn't have the sampling ability or storage space of the Digitakt, nor does it have the range/depth of machines that the Syntakt has, but it does have both samples and analog drums, so the best of both worlds. The Elektrons are still a much better bang for your buck IMHO, in terms of depth and not to mention Overbridge. The Drumlogue's analog drums certainly set it apart from the Model-series.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Yup- It is quite hard to compare them as there are so many pros and cons for both, It doesn't have the sampling ability or storage space of the Digitakt, but it does have stereo samples, digital machines, analogue engines. Noi overbridge, but no Elektron transfer either for samples! It just shows up as a USB drive for drag and drop..it also has 4 assignable outs (you need to go RYTM to get that) a USB host port is handy, and it has a lot more direct controls without menu diving (30 knobs?). Perhaps different enough to own 'as well' ;-)

I am happy with my Syntakt and there are rumours of a big update on the way (one of the reasons I buy in to Elektron is the updates/support) but this is still a nice little machine with some features (such as the fx) that are better than Elektrons offerings.

SLiC wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:00 am ...Syntakt and there are rumours of a big update on the way
Ohhhhh, I haven't heard about this :hyper:
SLiC wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:00 am Perhaps different enough to own 'as well' ;-)
Agreed. I can see the secondhand market for Drumlogue being similar to the Minilogue XD after a few months, where the going price for used units will end up stabilizing pretty quickly, so I could buy one, check it out for a few months, then sell it for the same price if I decide to not keep it.

cryophonik wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:12 am
The information apparently came from the guy at the Elektron booth at Knobcon 2022. Firmware updates for three boxes and that the ST update is major

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/knobcon-2022/177425/121

SLiC wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:26 am
cryophonik wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:12 am
The information apparently came from the guy at the Elektron booth at Knobcon 2022. Firmware updates for three boxes and that the ST update is major

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/knobcon-2022/177425/121
Did I see someone say these updates are "imminent"? As a Syntakt and Digitakt owner, this has me drooling a bit. Pleaaaaase give them both a song mode! :pray:

I am sure a new rival machine like the Drumlogue will motivate Elektron to get any updates out fast!

Just watched the loopop review of this, I think they really missed the boat on not having dedicated knobs for the SDK engine.
My prologue can do FM drums, but control-ability is an issue - now you can have the same situation with this: a module that will be able to do more than the rest of the machine combined but with a very small link to it.
I see that they are trying to fill a niche of under $700. drum machines and not compete with Elekron, but I think I would be disappointed to use this

pixel85 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:41 am4 very weak analogue drums + 6 samples (and 32MB RAM) for $600. Too limited for that price. I don't count the sequencer because I already have it in SQ-64.
If that's how you're thinking, you can have all of it in free plugins so why bother at all?
SLiC wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:00 amYup- It is quite hard to compare them
Not really. They are just drum machines after all, if they make drum sounds they kind of meet the brief. And that's what does my head in with these discussions - they are always about features, sound seems to be a secondary consideration, at best. I bet none of it sounds as good as Ujam's drum VSTis, most of which I've got for free. At rehearsal last night we were discussing how much the Ujam drums have improved our sound over Battery and the samples we used to use in Orion. They are just so punchy and easy to work with.

This thing does look really cool, but any slight interest I might have had evaporated when I found out the sequencer was like an Elektron. 30 years ago I might have been all over it, although Trinity's drums were great, but it's so limited and fiddly and annoying compared to what I can do ITB. Things like this should at least have HDMI out so you can control them from a proper, big-screen GUI, not that tiny little B&W screen.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | Zoom U24 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BTW, I just got an email from my local shop and Drumlogue is only Au$799 here. That's the equivalent of 535 Euros or 468 Pounds. If you buy from outside Australia, you might not have to pay the 10% GST, either, so it could be a cheap option. Here's the link -

https://www.storedj.com.au/korg-drumlog ... um-machine
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | Zoom U24 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”