⟃My Hatred⟄ - EDM / OneSynthChallenge / Cardinal aka VCV Rack as VST

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
] Peter:H [
KVRAF
Topic Starter
1719 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:53 am

⟃My Hatred⟄
is my submission to the One Synth Challenge #163 featuring Cardinal - VCV Rack as VST.
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/my-hatred

Only Sound Sources is Cardinal VST
All Sounds synthesized, no samples (apart from those stuffed in some of the VCV modules)
No Postprocessing after the render.
All sounds from init, espacially my attempts to do hardstyle drums...

On top I have written a Protoplug/Lua Program which let's me midi-retrigger all Chord notes I played on midi channel 1 by notes forming the rhythmic pattern I fed in from channel 2. That's quite nice ... I love protoplug ;-)

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

tomtom1
KVRian
779 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:14 am

Honstely i have to say that hardstyle isn't my genre at all :D
But i like the sound of the synth - sound warm and full and punchy. Special plus get the fx-part around 3:00.
The mix feels a bit loud, and some elements like the falldown seem to have a bump in the low-mids (?) which make things a bit too thick sometimes. I think overall the mix could/should be a little lighter (or a tiny bit less bassy). In comparison if i think about the famous Scooter tracks - but it is the question if this would be the direction you want to go.

Overall an impressive track for only one synth. :tu:
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Frantz
KVRAF
5850 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 pm

A cornucopia of cool sounds which are buried under those pounding drums. Can you make some Softstyle for older folks like me without those drums? :-P

Cardinal looks super complicated. I don't know how you did all of that but it is a great listen. :tu:

KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:04 am

Frantz wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 pm A cornucopia of cool sounds which are buried under those pounding drums. Can you make some Softstyle for older folks like me without those drums? :-P

Cardinal looks super complicated. I don't know how you did all of that but it is a great listen. :tu:
He he he ... the genre I wanted to go with this track is "hardstyle". and hardstyle is dominated by relentles basedrum. But I feel I will go for a softer style tracks the next rounds of OSC ...

Cardinal is really a complex modular simulation. I was profiting from my early modular emulation experience with the Pulsar DSP cards by a company called creamware and now is https://sonic-core.de/ The DSP cards and the modular synth which was part of it were so many decades ahead ofthe rest of the pack... anyway, that only helped me to cope with cardinal for the basics of how to build a patch. as with every modular emulation cardinal comes with it's on takes on some things ... voice management for instance. But it was fun to create the basedrums which is a chain of a number of EQ + Distortion modules...

BTW... here is a rather old track from around 2003 which was done with Synths running on the DSP Cards and my beloved Roland JV 1080 ... damn, I haven't made much progress since then ... https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/intensiv-kreativ
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:06 am

tomtom1 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:14 am Honstely i have to say that hardstyle isn't my genre at all :D
But i like the sound of the synth - sound warm and full and punchy. Special plus get the fx-part around 3:00.
The mix feels a bit loud, and some elements like the falldown seem to have a bump in the low-mids (?) which make things a bit too thick sometimes. I think overall the mix could/should be a little lighter (or a tiny bit less bassy). In comparison if i think about the famous Scooter tracks - but it is the question if this would be the direction you want to go.

Overall an impressive track for only one synth. :tu:
Many, many thanks tomtom, that you took th time to listen though it's not your genre at all. Many thanks!!!!
And yeah your right. Now listening after a few days pause the mix isn't perfect ... isn't good at all. Seems I ran in the listening fatigue trap again ... :-(

Return to “Music Cafe”